Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The future of land use: my top 10

The future of land use: my top 10

I am writing a community newspaper article to expand the horizons of my sometimes "NIMBY" neighbors. Would you add or subtract form this list?
    1. Energy--renewables, effeciencies, compact urban form
    2. Green urbanism--building, eco-cycles, nature in the city
    3. Freedom of choice for all in transportation--one car hslds., car free neighborhoods
    4. Food systems--local, slow, healthy
    5. Mixed land use--more broadly applied and the default model
    6. Healthy Cities--planing for active living, toxin free
    7. Planning for the person at the center--not cars and machines
    8. Information technology--web based public participation, 3D visualizaiton
    9. Infill redevelopment--brownfields, reuse, intensification
    10. True Urbanism--density, vitality, culture--S.F., Vancouver

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Your list seems to represent a "wish list" of sorts. That's fine and all but really it is a particular agenda that not all planners or people for that matter will ascribe to.

Greenfield, suburban development will continue to dominate our landscape well into the future so their is no use turning our back on it. So I would add to your list the remaking of our suburbs, not necessarily to make them car free or more dense, but improved from an environmental and design perspective.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by gkmo62u
    Your list seems to represent a "wish list" of sorts. That's fine and all but really it is a particular agenda that not all planners or people for that matter will ascribe to.

Greenfield, suburban development will continue to dominate our landscape well into the future so their is no use turning our back on it. So I would add to your list the remaking of our suburbs, not necessarily to make them car free or more dense, but improved from an environmental and design perspective.
    True, that is why choice will deal not only with transportation, but also with urban form. Different people have different visions about preferred housing options. We as planners, urban designers, and developers try to make sure there is choice in the marketplace so that people within the community can have options about how they want to live (condo, single family detached, single-family attached, suburban, tranditional neighborhood, etc.).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    I would focus on the concept of sustainability and the local impacts.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I look for more breakdown of zoning laws in an increasing number of places as the allowable unit density of residential zones is increasingly overwhelmed by the increasing population and economic activity of the respective areas. Right now, this is occurring in places like Los Angeles, eastern Long Island, etc, but I fully expect it to spread.

I am also looking for much increased market-based pressure away from the 'strict seperation of uses' that was the main hallmark of post-WWII development zoning.

Mike

Registered
    Jan 2005
    This may seem elementary to many of us... But I think that the comprehensive planning process (from start to finish) needs to explained to many people, especially NIMBY'S.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    big_g, I would add: especially elected officials and other departments.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee
    big_g, I would add: especially elected officials and other departments.
    A group of newly elected State representatives from here in Minnesota, intent on acting in a bi-partisan manner, started a series of informal seminars. The first was from the State, and former State, demographers on...

(wait for it)

The future.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Amending a future land use map
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 Nov 2006, 1:29 PM
  2. Future land use maps
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 11 Oct 2005, 5:20 PM
  3. Future Land Development in Korea