Ok, heres the deal:
I just completed my first semester of planning school here at UT-Austin (all A's...Yay!) and I have already started thinking about my PR (professional report) which is basically a shorter thesis that either is or is not related to a required internship. So far I have been looking at doing something with Land Use-Transportation connections, multi-modal level of service (bike, ped, car), or something similarly related to transportation, its alternatives, and the built environment.
Well, an email was sent out by one of my professors about money available for INTERNATIONAL independant study. I would like to get maybe a couple thousand bucks and go to Germany, Holland, or Switzerland and do some research while vacationing over the summer. So, any ideas on what I could write about to convince the committee to give me money? I have never been to any of these three countries, so I don't know of specific topics that I could explore there.
Here is what I have to show them:
"• What do you intend to do in the research project. What will you do in the actual travel portion of the research.
• Where you will go and for how long.
• Why is the travel a necessary part of your research.
• The overall importance of the project and how it will benefit your academic career (for example: contribute to your thesis research, professional report, a master design project, etc.).
• The timeline for the travel and completion of the research project.
• Detailed cost of the travel. Include both the specific amounts of funding you are requesting from the School and what you will provide yourself."
Thanks in advance!