Urban planning community

Thread: Anyone for Electric Football?

Registered
    Aug 2001

Anyone for Electric Football?

I want to write a warm winter tribute to the classic games of our youth, and how they are working their way back into circulation, even with all our high-tech toys.

Case in point. As Christmas approached this year (2005), I began to long for a classic, lower-tech sports game of my youth (1950s and later).
    None other than Electric Football.

Any of you remember the official-looking football field with 11 little players on small bases per team? The idea was to PLAN your offense or defense against your opponent (or play both sides if you are alone in Arctic Alaska or elsewhere) and then turn on the loud vibrator, and see how the play goes.

There is even a spring-action quarterback who can throw a pass and double as a punter and place-kicker.

So what if your star running back occasionally runs in circles, or the quarterback thows some very wild passes. It is FUN.

Electric football is making a comeback and my wife Chris found one on the Internet. But the first vendor would not ship to either Alaska or prisons (figure that one out) She finally found one who would ship to Barrow, our town, but it will arrive late, hopefully by the New Year.
    I can't wait.
    Happy Holidays everyone.
    Earl
    Earl the Farthest North Cub Fan

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    great memory earl. i was snowed into northwest connecticut a couple of years ago (airport closed) and a buddie and i ran out to walmart in a 4 wheel drive and bought the game.

great fun.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Electric Football

Quote Originally posted by gkmo62u
    great memory earl. i was snowed into northwest connecticut a couple of years ago (airport closed) and a buddie and i ran out to walmart in a 4 wheel drive and bought the game.

great fun.
    Thanks for sharing your memories gkmo62. I'll bet there are lots of such memories around plannerland. Let's hear some more.
    Maybe someday we could PLAN a nationwide Planners Electric Football tournament --bring your game to the APA or Western Planner conference. what do you think?
    farthest north Electric Footballfan

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Never heard of electric football before...us hosers had "table hockey" - little plastic cutouts of players that rode in slots that you controled via pulleys at the ends of the table.

My set featured the 1982 Vancouver Canucks in their grotesque yellow uniforms, vs. the Toronto Maple Leafs. I remember bringing it home on the subway with my mum and getting it caught in the subway doors as they closed. When I went to reclaim my old set from my parents cottage, the surface had warped beyond repair...I'd love to pick another one up sometime, at a reasonable price that is.

Thanks for bringing back some memories Earl - even if they weren't football related!

Registered
    Aug 2001

Anyone for Electric Football

Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Never heard of electric football before...us hosers had "table hockey" - little plastic cutouts of players that rode in slots that you controled via pulleys at the ends of the table.

My set featured the 1982 Vancouver Canucks in their grotesque yellow uniforms, vs. the Toronto Maple Leafs. I remember bringing it home on the subway with my mum and getting it caught in the subway doors as they closed. When I went to reclaim my old set from my parents cottage, the surface had warped beyond repair...I'd love to pick another one up sometime, at a reasonable price that is.

Thanks for bringing back some memories Earl - even if they weren't football related!
    Happy Holidays Tranplanner. I think I remember "table hockey". Should have known that would be big with Canadian hockey fans. Lived in Toronto when Leafs last won Stanley Cup 1967-68? Great story about getting the game stuck in subway doors.
    and also reclaiming an old game from parent's house. I
    That's why it is so exciting that they are making new copies of the old low-tech
    Electric Football. Hope that trend continues. Thanks again
    and go Maple Leafs!
    Earl

Registered
    Aug 2001

Electric Football Convention

My game is finally here---a big, beautiful Electric Football game. I can almost smell the turf. And I successfully assembled the 11 players on each team to their bases ---some bases for speed and other for strength. A few go sideways or backwards, but enough to provide some interesting contests.

My wife Chris took one team and I the other and she almost scored a touchdown run on her second play.

And here is the big news ---Baltimore is hosting the official 2006 Electric Football League Convention Jan. 27-29th at the Embassy Suites Hotel. If any of you are somewhere in the area, maybe you could drop by and give us a report on this board.

Apparently they have a big tournament where each football game owner gets to play other owners. Wish I could be there.
    But for now, even in 31 below zero weather in Barrow, I can enjoy the warmth of our kitchen, our two Huskies and myself playing offense v. defense; and occasionally Chris taking the other team. And she does so well.
    Hey hey
    Enjoy the real Super Bowl everyone.
    Earl

Registered
    May 2006

Electric Football

Hello Everyone,
    My name is Maurice Robertson. I have been in the electric football hobby for over 20years. I want to invite you to my all new electric football site. Search for electriccoach in google to get the url. In order to view the site, you will have to download a free trial version of DIVX decoder. Go to DIVX's website for the download. Since this is my first time posting here, I am not allowed to use urls until after I send five post.

Thank you,
    Maurice Robertson

The Electric Coach

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Im building a bar with games built in. One of the games is my old time favorite is Electric football. Im looking at tables now and need a good one. The game i find will determan the bar width. Does andbody have a game or know a good table to buy. Each section of the bar has glass that can be removed. Can't wait to play.
    Thanks!!!!

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 04 Dec 2007, 1:16 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last post: 18 Oct 2006, 4:13 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 Sep 2006, 7:12 PM
  4. Electric fences
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 16 Jun 2006, 5:42 PM