Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: MURP/JD vs. MURP

Registered
    Sep 2005

MURP/JD vs. MURP

Does anyone have an opinion about the benefits of obtaining a dual MURP/JD degree over just a MURP?

Specifically, how much more employable does it make you and how does it broaden the scope of what you can do?

Thank you.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bill
    Does anyone have an opinion about the benefits of obtaining a dual MURP/JD degree over just a MURP?

Specifically, how much more employable does it make you and how does it broaden the scope of what you can do?

Thank you.
    It really depends on what you want to do with your career. Do you want to work on the legal end, the policy end, the practicioner end, etc?

Registered
    Nov 2005
    your question needs framing.

Registered
    Sep 2005

The District

Quote Originally posted by The District
    your question needs framing.
    What other information do you need to help me out with an answer?

Thanks.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    to repeat plan-it:
    school is a means to an end. what do you want the end to be? law firm? ngo? planner? if you don't know what you want the end to be, well, then that's a different question, and not one that most people can help you very much with. with the JD/MURP, you may qualify for a wider variety of jobs outside of planning, but do you even want those jobs? your career goals should dictate your schooling.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    What other information do you need to help me out with an answer?
    yeah, what do you want to be when you grow up?

Registered
    Sep 2005

The District

[with the JD/MURP, you may qualify for a wider variety of jobs outside of planning,

What about within the planning field? That was my question. What specifically does a MURP/JD allow you to do differently than just a MURP inside the planning field? What would a planning firm hire you to do specifically with that degree. Just as an example.

Also, thank you for being a tool in answering my question.

Moderator note:
    (NHPlanner) Please, no personal attacks. The last statement was uncalled for.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 29 Dec 2005 at 4:53 PM.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    my guess is that within planning, a JD/MURP could make you more marketable than someone with only a MURP, but i would question whether or not someone would pay you much more for your extra effort. also, there are always exceptions, but a law degree won't help that much if your interest is in urban design. however, if i were in charge of hiring a planner for a public entity (typical planning office, for example) or a planning/entitlement-type private sector place, i would highly value a lawyer/planner. you probably wouldn't do anything that different from other planners, but when any legal questions arise, the planning staff would probably come to you for assistance. in the private sector, you can probably find a niche with a legal/economic consulting firm. they're out there, just look around for them and check out the bios of their principals.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The dual degree would be extremely valuable if you wanted to work as an attorney for a municipality. Granted you would make less money in this role than you would in private practice though.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. MURP or something else?
    Student Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 Jun 2012, 8:47 PM
  2. MPA or MURP?
    Student Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 04 Jan 2012, 9:12 PM
  3. MUD/MURP vs 3-yr MLA
    Student Commons