Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Saint John New Brunswick - Lots of Pics

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Over teh holidays I visited one of my favourite cities and thought I shoudl share some images with you. As always, if there are specific things you'd like to see, let me know, I probably have 300 images to sort through. I'll be posting some of the harbour area shortly.

A bit of history and facts

Saint John is on the St. John River.
    SJ is the oldest incorporated city in Canada
    SJ is insanely cheap to live in, and actually has good paying jobs.
    Benedict Arnold is a city hero and founder. Could not find his statue.

Now for some images and comments

Saint John's downtown is referred to as Uptown.

To spark development, the city provides foundation credits to deal with blowing the rock. Here is one example of the development that this has promoted

Saint John is a City of Squraes, as a way to provide green space to rown house and walk up dwellers.

Queens Square

(sorry about the piecing)

Kings Square

Saint John has a great city market

SJ has a great heritage preservation area.

Not sure if I really like this infill development, but it was approved by one of the country's experts in the field, so what can I say.

Loyalist House, one of the oldest buildings in Canada. Really shows teh rock formations that have to be blasted into for construction to occur.

Saint John is known as the port city.

The Irving Depot and refineries in the background

The potash terminal.

To capitalize on the port, they have installed a walking trail along teh waterfront.

Last edited by NHPlanner; 03 Jan 2006 at 12:13 PM.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    These are great! I knew a guy once who lived there; he always said it was a great city.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I live there now.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Looks great!! But, geez...that place may be too far north even for me.

I love the brick rowhouse scale. Must have been a very important and wealthy place in the late 19th century.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    SJ is my hometown. Now that I'm in western Canada, I can certainly appreciate the history. As a blue-collar port city, Saint John is also a little rough around the edges (in a good way). Great pics... go back in the summer or fall it's even better.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Looks great!! But, geez...that place may be too far north even for me.

I love the brick rowhouse scale. Must have been a very important and wealthy place in the late 19th century.
    Here are a few more [pics you might like then

Quote Originally posted by Iron ring
    As a blue-collar port city, Saint John is also a little rough around the edges (in a good way).

More pics to follow.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    May 2003
    Great pictures, donk! Any shots of the reversing falls?
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by DecaturHawk
    Great pictures, donk! Any shots of the reversing falls?

Sorry none on this trip. The high tide times (by the look of the tide early am) and my lack of a vehicle were not conducive to getting any pictures.

It is not too impressive anyways.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Sorry none on this trip. The high tide times (by the look of the tide early am) and my lack of a vehicle were not conducive to getting any pictures.

It is not too impressive anyways.
    At any one point in time it really isn't much to see. It's only somewhat interesting if you can get out there to see the river rushing out to sea at low tide, then comeback a few hours later to see the river rushing back "up-stream" at high tide. In either case it's not something that gets captured very well in a photo.

Anymore pictures of the waterfront walkway (Harbour Passage). I believe it's been extended since I was last there. They've made a point to use it to show case the "working port", as opposed to many waterfronts focused on beaches or natural themes, which I find interesting.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Iron Ring
    Anymore pictures of the waterfront walkway (Harbour Passage). I believe it's been extended since I was last there. They've made a point to use it to show case the "working port", as opposed to many waterfronts focused on beaches or natural themes, which I find interesting.
    The Harbour Passage is an interesting project to provide access to an area where people really are not supposed to go.

Plus a few of Market Square.

And a few more of Uptown for good measure

Last edited by donk; 03 Jan 2006 at 6:28 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Just some Saint John facts I found for y'all

Approximately 6,000 of Saint John's 27,000 buildings qualify to be placed on Canada's National Registry of historic buildings. To date this registry contains only 12,800 buildings, making Saint John an important part of Canadian heritage.

Saint John has one of the highest child poverty rates in all of Canada. An estimated 27% of the population of Saint John lives in poverty, representing more than 19,000 individuals, of which 8,300 are children under the age of 18.

(Note from me- probably cause the vast majority of people who work in SJ that actually make money live in the VERY affluent towns of Rothesay & Quispamsis, collectively called the Kennebecasis Valley. Rothesay is NB's richest municipality and Quispamsis is 3rd (of 103 total). Both have almost no sign of poverty

Saint John has one of the highest teenage pregnancy rates in all of Canada.

Saint John is Canada's third fattest city, following St. Catharines and Regina.

(nice!)

Saint John pumps nearly 6 billion litres of raw sewage into its own harbour each year (16 million litres each day). Which also happens to be the Bay of Fundy. Which also happens to be the Atlantic Ocean.

(ew!)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 30 Nov 2007, 1:25 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 18 Jul 2006, 8:23 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 30 Jul 2005, 9:02 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 06 Jun 2005, 3:29 PM
  5. Replies: 13