Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Wide description of urban planning???

     
    Registered
    Dec 2005

Wide description of urban planning???

Hi good people...

I need a little wide and understandable definition of Urban Planning.

In my presentation, I support that problems in cities are only a result of poor urban planning.

I need Supports about this topic.

That is very important for my lecture grade.

Thanks
    Cengiz

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I Generally expalin urban planning in a way that relates it to other similar/related fields...
    something to the effect of 'it's a combination of Engineering, Architecture, Geography and Politics...basically I organize cities' .

If the person I am speaking to still doesnt understand I generally give them examples of the different roles a planner would fulfill such as:

working at the provincial level making policy decisions such as whether to accomodate growth with rail or highways, resolving disputes at the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) - the Legal arm for land use litigation etc.

working for the regional government planing transit routes, enforcing growth boundaries, and negotiating where growth will be accomodated (jobs, housing, reginal shopping centres, industry, major infrastructure etc) between the municipalities etc.

working at the local level creating zoning bylaws and ammemdments, heritage preservation sites, mediating between different interests and proposing suggestions for action to the local government (council) for approval.etc.

since planning decisions have to be approved by council, the responsibility to the poor urban planning does not lie soley with the planners; if the political will is not there, good things cant happen.

Hope that helps
    James

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Jengys
    In my presentation, I support that problems in cities are only a result of poor urban planning.

I need Support about this topic.
    I would not say all problems in a city are due to poor city planning. You cannot plan your way out of economic shifts to a job base (for example a company decides to close a facility in your city that provides work to 10,000).

This problem would not be the result of poor planning, but poor planning in response to this situation could make the problem worse.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    You want a good broad definition of planning, try this one:

"internalizing externalities"

When you really boil down planning, it is all about taking things that affect a place, anticipating their effects, and establishing a way to deal with them.

EDIT: in the case of DetroitPlanner's comments, they could plan to diversify. He is generally correct though that a bad reaction plan for such an economic shift has more impact.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

     
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    I would not say all problems in a city are due to poor city planning. You cannot plan your way out of economic shifts to a job base (for example a company decides to close a facility in your city that provides work to 10,000).

This problem would not be the result of poor planning, but poor planning in response to this situation could make the problem worse.
    you may be right but i have to support this idea. Because i choosed it from some arguementative esaay topics.

Quote Originally posted by JVeltkamp
    I Generally expalin urban planning in a way that relates it to other similar/related fields...
    something to the effect of 'it's a combination of Engineering, Architecture, Geography and Politics...basically I organize cities' .

If the person I am speaking to still doesnt understand I generally give them examples of the different roles a planner would fulfill such as:

working at the provincial level making policy decisions such as whether to accomodate growth with rail or highways, resolving disputes at the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) - the Legal arm for land use litigation etc.

working for the regional government planing transit routes, enforcing growth boundaries, and negotiating where growth will be accomodated (jobs, housing, reginal shopping centres, industry, major infrastructure etc) between the municipalities etc.

working at the local level creating zoning bylaws and ammemdments, heritage preservation sites, mediating between different interests and proposing suggestions for action to the local government (council) for approval.etc.

since planning decisions have to be approved by council, the responsibility to the poor urban planning does not lie soley with the planners; if the political will is not there, good things cant happen.

Hope that helps
    James
    thank you very much.
    I want to write a part of my essay outline;

Urban planning is the branch of architecture dealing with the design and organization of urban space and activities.

Some people beleive that urban planning is not the only factor on cities which have problems.They think that there are other factors effecting on city problems. (What may be these problems?)

Thesis+3 Supports = However, I strongly beleive that problems in cities are only a result of poor urban planning.Because all the most problemed cities have poor urban planning (Which Cities???), urban planning contains all the factors effecting on city life. and i need 3rd support in here

Waiting for helps...
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 03 Jan 2006 at 12:50 PM.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Moderator note:
    Be careful you don't cross the line of the Cyburbia rules:
    2.8 Homework
    Specific questions about parts of an assignment, or general advice or guidance are permitted. Requests to complete homework assignments are not.
    We're glad to help out a give some general guidance, but beyond that, you're on your own.

To the original post: The APA definition of planning (http://www.planning.org/careers/index.htm):

Planning, also called urban planning or city and regional planning, is a dynamic profession that works to improve the welfare of people and their communities by creating more convenient, equitable, healthful, efficient, and attractive places for present and future generations.

Planning enables civic leaders, businesses, and citizens to play a meaningful role in creating communities that enrich people's lives.

Good planning helps create communities that offer better choices for where and how people live. Planning helps community members envision the direction their community grow and will help them find the right balance of new development and essential services, protection of the environment, and innovative change.

Planning is done in many arenas and involves professionals who are planners and those who are professionally certified by the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP). Planners work with elected and appointed officials, such as mayors and planning commissioners, to lead the planning process with the goal of creating communities of lasting value. Planners help civic leaders, businesses, and citizens envision new possibilities and solutions to community problems.

The American Planning Association and its professional institute, AICP, help planners, officials, and citizens better serve their communities by providing research, educational resources, practical advice and tools, and up-to-date information on planning. Planners working with community members help communities meet the challenges of growth and change.

To read the Bureau of Labor Statistics of the U.S. Department of Labor's listing for "Urban and Regional Planners" in its 2004-2005 Occupational Outlook Handbook, click here: www.bls.gov/oco/ocos057.htm.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 66
    Last post: 15 Jun 2007, 10:31 PM
  2. County wide zoning - good or bad?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 23 Nov 2006, 11:45 AM
  3. City-wide trail systems
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 10 Apr 2006, 12:46 AM