Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Selling Stuff

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Garage sales are huge around here. However, I think we get more of a benefit if we donate everything and claim it as a deduction on my taxes. It just depends if you want the money up front or not.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I resent if your garage sale sign CLEARLY says "8-4" and you have people showing up at 6:30. WTF??
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by KSharpe View post
    I resent if your garage sale sign CLEARLY says "8-4" and you have people showing up at 6:30. WTF??
    i've seen signs that say, "NO EARLY SALES" in order to attempt to stop that. don't know if it worked or not, but i saw the sign.

yay! good for me!! *pats self on back*

*sigh*
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    We had a garage sale and was planning on pulling the tables into the driveway that morning. We had stuff packed in the garage overnight and woke up about 6:00 am. Around 6:30 I opened the garage door and there stood a man in the driveway. He helped me pull the tables out to the driveway, then he bought a couple things. By that time cars started showing up.

I asked one lady why she got here so early. She said "you know, the early bird catches the worm, but really I'm on my way home from work. I work the night shift at the (hospital)"

Other that that I have heard that some people actually buy stuff at garage sales as early as possible so they can resell it at a flea market. Bewildering why anyone would want to get up that early to go through other peoples stuff.

No worries with Planit showing up early at any garage sale.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Nov 2003
    If I don't need it, I just chuck it. I don't have the time nor the desire to do garage sales.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by KSharpe View post
    Okay... I helped my mom with a garage sale and this guy showed up THE DAY BEFORE. We had been setting up in the garage, with the door open (they lived on a cul-de-sac with no thru traffic), and we sat down to dinner. Then we heard a bang bang on the house's door to the garage. He would look through the paper and drive to sales the day before in hopes of catching people at setup. He was really rude to my mom, asked if she had any antiques, she said no, and he was a real snot saying that she wouldn't know if she did anyway .

They had another sale 2 years later, same guy, same @$$hole. This time he rang the doorbell because they'd learned not to leave the garage open the night before.

I'm trying to get rid of stuff before a move and consolidate Mr. Tresmo's stuff with mine. Plus our old roommate left a ton of crap when he moved. I just want to pull a truck up and send it away to never never land. But it kills me to not try to get money from it. Most of it is worthless, though.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    When we left the college town for our first real jobs, we sold things in decent condition at a local consignment shop. Could not have been easier and we made several hundred dollars on things we no longer needed: 1960's kitchen table and chairs, computer desk, desk chair, and multiple other things and previously handed down hand-me-downs. I think this option would work especially well in or near college towns where kids have cash and are not necessarily turned off to buying second hand in good condition.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star View post
    If I don't need it, I just chuck it. I don't have the time nor the desire to do garage sales.
    We had a garage sale a few weekends ago. I had no signs, no advertising, and we agreed that if it leaves the door, it is not coming back in. We sold almost everything, including our only TV, and made almost $500. What did not sell was donated to Goodwill or our church which is collecting clothing to send with a group to a 3rd world country. Some South American Kid will be running around with a “THE ZOO WMU BASKETBALL” t-shirt!

It was also the weekend that was the designated “Neighborhood Garage Sale” so I did not need to do much more than negotiate prices. If someone started to walk away, I would mention that all the prices are negotiable. 90% of the time they came back, looked around and most of them would end up buying something for asking price or close to asking price. It was fun!
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Call Am Vets. Make an appt. for them to come out to your house. Put the stuff in the driveway. Go to work and come home and its gone. Wonderful.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Were we separated at birth?
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I just craigslist it if I think it might get a decent amount. Otherwise, trash or recycle if it's small. If it's big, it goes on the sidewalk at midnight. It'll be gone by morning

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I'm all about the hand-me-downs. If you can't sell it, give it away. You've got to know a new-home-owner/college student/ friend-of-a-friend that could use the less of the two coffee tables that you now own. Pass it on, my friend!
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by CJC View post
    I just craigslist it if I think it might get a decent amount. Otherwise, trash or recycle if it's small. If it's big, it goes on the sidewalk at midnight. It'll be gone by morning
    Why is it that Craigslist has caught on in some places and not in others? And can somebody please explain how some of these people think their stuff is worth that much?

Denver was a good place to post on Craigslist. We sold everything from furniture to old interior doors we had replaced. Most times it went in a couple days. It was also a good place to buy. Prices were reasonable and the stuff was not all junk.

Milwaukee is a different story. People do not seem to visit Craigslist. If they post something, it is likely to be a beat-up piece of particle board furniture and they want 90% of their original purchase price.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Why is it that Craigslist has caught on in some places and not in others? And can somebody please explain how some of these people think their stuff is worth that much?
    Craigslist started in the Bay Area, so it definitely has more of a following here. One way to check and see how much it will probably work - check the price of employment ads for the city that you're posting (employment ads are the only thing that cost money). In the Bay Area, they cost $75, LA, NYC, and a few other areas are $50, others are $25, etc. The more it costs to post an employment ad, the higher the traffic in that area.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Some Observations

Some observations about the LAST garage sale I will be part of.....

Even though the sign clearly said "9-2", they were walking into the sales area at 7:30 AM.
    Even though the sign clearly said "9-2".....and it was quite obvious that we were cleaning-up and boxing leftover goodies for charity.....they continued to invade the sales area.
    Eye candy does go to garage sales.
    Baby clothing sells quickly and at asking price. (We had very little.....cannot imagine why.....)
    Exercise equipment doesn't sell.
    I thought people (especially kids) would jump at the tons of 50-cent VHS tapes. They didn't.
    Nobody even looked at the antique wooden hat box with the Currier & Ives painting along the curved sides. (Katie is going to keep it.)
    All the older folks looked at the antique clock (that needed repair).
    My garage now has an echo.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I am hoping to unload a bunch with my nephew tomorrow. The rest of the duplicates, if he doesn't want them (blender, coffemaker, etc) will be on the curb in 3 weeks. I am soooo not good at selling/negotiating anything! I have helped a friend with a garage sale, and my mom and I had one together, and that was enough, I'd rather give the stuff away.

I'm doing a lot of purging in preparation for a possible move. However, I'm just donating stuff to places like Good Will and they can do all the selling.

The joy for me comes from getting rid of this junk and finally decluttering.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries

I have an issue with that attitude if "chuck it" means the garbage. You should recycle if possible by donating anything to charity if possible. People in my neighborhood routinely through out holiday items, furniture, childrens toys, bikes, etc.... barely used... as their kids outgrow them. Makes me sick.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 44
    Last post: 23 Aug 2012, 11:46 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 06 Jan 2010, 2:43 PM
  3. Selling yourself in a cover letter
    Career Development and Advice