Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Models of transportation planning

Registered
    Jan 2006

Models of transportation planning

Hi, I have a couple of questions.

First, what is GENMOD model. Is there any detailed introduction? Has is been applied as a mode choice model? Where?

Second, are there know experiences or reports of planning on systems with more than two modes, auto and transit?

Thank you. Any comments are welcome.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by phil-phil
    Hi, I have a couple of questions.

First, what is GENMOD model. Is there any detailed introduction? Has is been applied as a mode choice model? Where?

Second, are there know experiences or reports of planning on systems with more than two modes, auto and transit?

Thank you. Any comments are welcome.
    GENMOD would appear to be a method of statistical analysis, not a stand-alone model (a quick google search on GENMOD would tell you more about what it is). From what I quickly gathered, GENMOD would not be used in predicting mode choice.

I don't understand the second part of your question - do you mean using GENMOD or in general?

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    GENMOD would appear to be a method of statistical analysis, not a stand-alone model (a quick google search on GENMOD would tell you more about what it is). From what I quickly gathered, GENMOD would not be used in predicting mode choice.

I don't understand the second part of your question - do you mean using GENMOD or in general?

Thank you, Tranplanner.

Actually, about GENMOD I googled and got the same answer as you did. However, I found it in a Dutch study, the economic significance of cycling, which is accessible on
    cycling.nl(/)html(/)i-ce(/)publications.htm

For the second question, I am asking for the general method and applications.

Quote Originally posted by phil-phil
    Thank you, Tranplanner.

Actually, about GENMOD I googled and got the same answer as you did. However, I found it in a Dutch study, the economic significance of cycling, which is accessible on
    cycling.nl(/)html(/)i-ce(/)publications.htm

For the second question, I am asking for the general method and applications.

Hi

I have a big interest in both statistics and transportation, so I tried to follow the links you provided to see what GENMOD was. The authors don't say much about it, but it appears to be not a transportation planning package but a statistical analysis used to predict economic impacts of the type: x increase in investment in bicycle facilities leads to y change in pollution produced.

While the authors apply the model to multiple countries, I would stongly suggest you not use their model in the US. given our different costs and economic structure. For example, we (at least I) don't know what is the average fuel efficiency for autos in Amserdam, so it is difficult to adjust the model for US standards.

If you really wanted to use the model, you should email the authors for a more detailed explanation.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Oct 2013, 7:57 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Jun 2009, 12:05 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 20 Feb 2007, 4:19 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 17 Feb 2003, 12:44 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Mar 1998, 10:44 PM