Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cyburbian involvement in NOLA rebuild

Registered
    Nov 2005

Cyburbian involvement in NOLA rebuild

Are there any Cyburbians involved in the rebuilding of New Orleans? Any thoughts on potential (even if temporary) work down there over the next decade for planners? Among other schools, I am applying to Georgia Tech for next year, and I think being so close to the city might be a good opportunity to be involved in the rebuilding process. Although, wherever I go, I could always go down there for the summer.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am on both the APA and IEDC lists for volunteers, and will be doing some work there. My impression is that the need for planners is a bit overblown. Unfortunately, the Bush administration has given most of the work to a small number of large government contractors, rather than bidding it or giving communities the funding to slect the firms they think are best for their needs.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

er.. I'd have to disagree with the whole "without us there is no America" theme. Sure it's a part of America and was a pretty big city but there are alot of pretty big cities and even the small towns make America what it is. No one city or area or state can claim that America is what it is because of them. Personally since I have never been to New Orleans, never planned to go to New Orleans, and never had any desire to go to New Orleans it wouldn't bother me if the city wasn't rebuilt. That being said I think we should rebuild the city just to prove that we can beat nature and cause I'm sure lots of people want it rebuilt.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Sports involvement
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 11 Oct 2013, 2:14 PM
  2. Replies: 195
    Last post: 18 Apr 2010, 3:02 PM
  3. elevated homes in NOLA
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 24 Jul 2006, 6:53 PM
  4. NOLA planning discussion on NPR (live)
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Jan 2006, 11:43 AM
  5. Hi from NOLA.
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 12 Aug 2005, 10:19 AM