Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Bouncing Balls and other simple toys

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Bouncing Balls and other simple toys

Today’s kids want I-Pods, portable video games that are more advanced than the space shuttle, and robots that have artificial intelligence... yet many of our grand parents enjoyed good simple toys such as a potato sack, or a stick with some thread and a metal hook.

While cleaning out my car during lunch I came across a good size rubber bouncing ball and it reminded me of all the simple toys that I found fascinating as a child... and still do in many cases. I have always wanted to go into a long hallways with smooth hard surfaces and launch a bouncing ball has hard as I could and watch it bounce off one surface onto an other and back all the way down the hall.

What simple toys (paddle ball, bouncing ball, slinky, wood blocks, empty box (Fort) , paper bags, sling shot...) did you have and what ones do you still get a kick out of?
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Gyroscopes
    Lincoln Logs
    Legos (I had them before they got all fancy)
    Matchbox Cars (once again when it was just metal and 4 wheels)
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    ...snip...
    What simple toys (...snip... empty box (Fort) ...snip...
    From what I've heard some people still do this only they use blankets and office desks.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I enjoyed playing with waffle blocks. I think they were made by little tikes or something like that. I also liked the sand box and would pretend I was building roads. When I was quite young mud was always a fun thing to play with, I remember making mud pies and then offering them to my neighbor.

Registered
    Nov 2002

Some still use simple toys...

My three year old loves simple toys, I think because they allow his imagination to run the most wild:

Legos (simple ones)
    Lincoln Logs (he has mine from my childhood)
    Tinker Toys
    Toy cars and trucks
    Pipe cleaners (yes, pipe cleaners...)

He also likes toy tools, including power tools, but he hasn't shown much of an interest in video games or electronic toys. Maybe he's a Luddite in training?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I only had simple toys until I was like 12 or so... and of course at that age you don't get toys... I've never had a console game or anything like that, and the only thing close to it was my brother's Sega's Master System 2 that he bought in the US.. I wasn't very interested in that... I preffered legos.

Here when I was younger (around 13 or so), and given the rainy nature of Valdivia I used my back yard as a playground and I made rivers and little ponds to drain the rain water... Funny thing is that they're still there.. after quite a lot of time..

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Lincoln Logs and wooden blocks were favorites of mine. My friends and I played cowboys a lot as well as Man From Uncle, so we had toy guns. I remember one year I lost my toy gun (a Man From Uncle camera gun, if I recall) and had to get along with an appropriately-shaped piece of wood until my birthday.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2004
    you spoiled whippersnappers! Back in my day I used to play with a stick and a hoop.

Actually legos, lincoln logs and matchbox cars. That is until nintendo

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Tide
    Gyroscopes
    Lincoln Logs
    Legos (I had them before they got all fancy)
    Matchbox Cars (once again when it was just metal and 4 wheels)
    I would've liked to have you living down my street. I think we would have been good buddies. As for Matchbox cars, I really liked the basic cars. Some kids would have monster truck or hot rod Matchbox, but I really just liked the basics. I would use one corner of the living room as my "repair shop" (complete with a collection of other Matchbox cars to be "fixed") and then have to drive to my "house" in the kitchen. I must not have cared about sprawl back then

Quote Originally posted by jsk1983
    I also liked the sand box and would pretend I was building roads.
    I would do this too, sometimes I would go with a friend to the creek and build canals.

With video games, I wasn't allowed to have them. I hated it at the time, but I thank my folks now. I should tell them that.

ALSO: Don't forget about Ball In A Cup! or Log
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Did anyone have a mecharno set?

or the game hungry hungry hippos?

We just ran around the neighbourhood with water pistols playing commandos!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    My guys like thier new nikes they got for christmas, the oldest loves his pogo stick and they both love their skateboards (yes I make my boys play outside winter, spring, summer and fall)...otherwise they are attached to the oldests new PSP (spoiled BRAT )

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    My favorite toy was the erector set. Way cool. I still have it. We mostly played outside with our matchbox cars, tonka trucks, etc. We too would built roads through the sandbox, garden bed, etc.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner
    you spoiled whippersnappers! Back in my day I used to play with a stick and a hoop.
    Actually legos, lincoln logs and matchbox cars. That is until nintendo
    Nintendo! Hah! My brother (11 yrs older than me) was the greatest guy in the world when he bought 10 yr old me - Pong! I also has a simple recurve bow and arrow set by the time I was 8. Never shot at animals though.
    Living and dreaming are two different things-but you can't do one without the other."
    -Malcolm Forbes

Registered
    Sep 1999
    slinky
    play-doh
    legos
    stilts
    pogo stick
    oh, crap, that stuff in the egg that would pick up the sunday comics, can't come up with the name
    lincoln logs
    car bingo
    those little magnetic things on a base that you could build into all kind of shapes
    and the number 1 non high tech toy, books!

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    oh, crap, that stuff in the egg that would pick up the sunday comics, can't come up with the name
    !
    Silly Putty! In later years, kids would play with Slime! instead.
    Living and dreaming are two different things-but you can't do one without the other."
    -Malcolm Forbes

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    As for Matchbox cars, I really liked the basic cars. Some kids would have monster truck or hot rod Matchbox, but I really just liked the basics. I would use one corner of the living room as my "repair shop" (complete with a collection of other Matchbox cars to be "fixed") and then have to drive to my "house" in the kitchen. I must not have cared about sprawl back then
    My dad had an old sturdy ping pong table in the basement he let me use as my "city". I had all the lego road plates and made it curve around the table top. Anything I didn't have I would draw in with a marker. I built houses, police & fire, school etc. etc. It really was my first simcity. My parents didn't like it when I introduced real dirt to the table top.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Feb 2004
    [QUOTE=zmanPLAN]

With video games, I wasn't allowed to have them. I hated it at the time, but I thank my folks now. I should tell them that.
    [QUOTE]

We never had a video game system at our house either. Or at least until my brother won an N64 from the local Fox affliate. Since then they have upgraded to a PS2 and seems that they spend an awful lot of their free time with it. I personally don't tough the thing, but then again there were times when I'd spend an awful lot of time playing Snood on my computer.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    my Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars and accessories were my absolute favorite toys. Like zman, I prefered the cars that were miniatures of real, everyday cars. I even had a miniature Matchbox town playset that I loved (it was not one of those silly, out-of-scale folding playsets either).
    Last edited by mendelman; 13 Jan 2006 at 1:32 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I forgot about hot wheels...my youngest LOVES them!! And action figures, those are his other favorite...actually, I got the youngest a Interactive TV game for Christmas and he has yet to play with it...he's 4 and not interested in many of the video games...he likes my oldests PSP, but then again, so does mom

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Simple:
    Lincoln Logs
    Erector set
    wood blocks
    matchbox cars

Not so simple:
    Chem-Craft chemistry set
    model trains

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia