Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Travel Goals

Registered
    Apr 2003

Travel Goals

A while back JNL did a worldwide trip a few years ago, and I know that many others would like to travel to other places. I know that I want to go to Europe in the next few years for a few weeks.

Where have you gone on trips, and where would you like to go?

I also found a site called http://www.43places.com that keeps track of where you went, and where you want to go. It also shows who else wants to go to those places and each location (Country or specific location) has a place that you can post comments about that place, questions, or ideas on how to get there.

Does anyone know of any similar sites that do the same thing?
    Last edited by michaelskis; 13 Jan 2006 at 10:33 AM.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Before I die, I would like to drive non-stop across the U.S. in a 1977 Plymouth Volaire...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    A while back JNL did a worldwide trip a few years ago
    I want to take a trip to Big Redundancy Island

Ok kidding aside... I would like to finish visiting all 50 states, I have visited 27 of them so far.
    I only count states I have been in for more than a car ride (I have been through West Virgina, Kentucky, Utah, and Wisconsin but never actually spent any time there)

Click image for larger version

Name:	untitledmap.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	3450

I would love to visit Germany again and hit up England. Australia could be pretty cool too (Love koalas)
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Tide
    I want to take a trip to Big Redundancy Island

Ok kidding aside... I would like to finish visiting all 50 states, I have visited 27 of them so far.
    I only count states I have been in for more than a car ride (I have been through West Virgina, Kentucky, Utah, and Wisconsin but never actually spent any time there)

Attachment 3450

I would love to visit Germany again and hit up England. Australia could be pretty cool too (Love koalas)
    Dang... it looks like you are trying to avoid Michigan!
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    May 2003
    I'm getting the itch to do a lot of traveling so I'm planning on joining the merchant marines when I graduate.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I've been to all of New England, the mid-Atlantic, and parts of the southeast. The states are all contiguos, except for the fact I've never been to West Virginia. In Europe I've been to the UK, France, Belgium (drove through) and the Netherlands.

I've considered going back to England and doing a long distance walk. I'm just trying to find a low cost flight. I've entertained the notion of visiting India, as well as Australia dn New Zealand. Don't know when I'd do that considering the exspense and once I have a real job I would probably not have enough vacation time.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I'd like to go back to the US and Canada... after that maybe Europe and Oceania... And Japan. Now if I had the money.... it'd be nice... Oh well as a geographer I can always beg for money for investigation to go out... Or who knows maybe grad school outside here would be great.

Registered
    Mar 2004

A Slant Six????

Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Before I die, I would like to drive non-stop across the U.S. in a 1977 Plymouth Volaire...
    I have owned 3 slant six Dodge's or Plymouths. A fine engine.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Jun 2003

Slant Six

Back when I was in undergrad for three years I had driven the round trip (Sept/June) between New Jersey and Utah in a '71 Plymouth Duster.
    Drove that car into the ground.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    A while back JNL did a worldwide trip a few years ago
    Hey it was only 1.5 years ago.. mid 2004. It does seem a while ago now...

I am thinking a lot about travel at the moment. I love my city but I want to travel some more and live and work overseas before settling down anywhere. Not sure when, or what order, but top of my list are S.E. Asia, China, Greece, and Canada (great donuts ). I absolutely loved travelling through Europe but it was a whirlwind trip so I need to go back and take some time to explore.

In 3 weeks I am off for 2 weeks in Melbourne and Sydney.. can't wait! My bf and I will spend a couple of days in each city and then get a car to explore some of the beaches further out.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I want to take RJ scalloping in Steinhatchee on the gulf coast; we were just discussing this on the way to his place from watching football at his boss's house (he's a scary guy....). Anyway, I've described Steinhatchee on here before, such a laid-back relaxing place.

Who can loan us a boat??

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    In 3 weeks I am off for 2 weeks in Melbourne and Sydney.. can't wait! My bf and I will spend a couple of days in each city and then get a car to explore some of the beaches further out.
    I made a similar trip in November. My wife and I visited Sydney, Melbourne, then drove west from Melbourne along Great Ocean Road where lots of beaches are located. We enjoyed everywhere we visited. The only annoyance was the volume of flies.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    New York - Feb 17-26, 2006 (confirmed)
    Montreal - late April/early May, 2006 (confirmed)
    San Francisco - late August, 2006 (tentative)

Now that I've dispensed with the immediate, on to the future:

The more Europeans I meet here on exchange at school in Waterloo the less and less I want to visit Europe. Especially Germany. Eugh - Germany. I'd like to find my way to Barcelona, and then wind my way around the sea until I reach Italy, eventually touring the "five villages." Paris is a desired stop, some time.

I've a schoolmate who lives in The Hague so there is a bed for me should I find myself in the neighbourhood. I'd like to visit the UK and Ireland.

As for Asia, Hong Kong and Japan are definitely high on my list. I think I would like to tour rural Japan, but I do suspect that foreigners might not be so welcome in those areas. Time will tell.

I've a bit of a fetish for hilltop villages so I suppose Austria and the like might be worthy ports of call, too.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jtmnkri
    ......... The only annoyance was the volume of flies.
    Everything's better with flies. What sort of mess would the world be in without flies?

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I faintly remember that someone on this board is going to the west of Ireland. That's an area of the world that I wouldn't mind going back to see, even though I was there twice! There's so much more beauty to see there!

I want to see more of Canada and of the US.

A long road trip is something that I would like to do in the near future.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    I've got a bit of travel in my future... san fransisco in two weeks and Europe in may (for five weeks straight!)...

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I want to go to New Zealand, especially the South Island. Will I ever make it? I am doubting it. The Marquesas Islands is another dream getaway. I would also like to see Hannibal, MO (Twain fan) and Tombstone, AZ (Earp buff).
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Italy and anything on the Adriatic Coast. France, Spain, Ireland, Netherlands, Germany, Medellin, Colombia. Curitiba, Brazil. Megolopolis' of Asia. and on and on...........

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    There are so many places that I want to go, I don't know where to start. The tops on my list are Spain, New Zealand, and the Scandanavian countries. Thailand and Morocco are also right up there. The only place in the US that I haven't been that ranks high on my list is Miami. I would like to spend more time on the East Coast, but will probably wait until my kids are older so they would enjoy it more. With a couple of two year olds, I think my major vacations for the next few years will be to SoCal (DisneyLand, Sea World, San Diego Zoo) and possibly Disney World.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    This past year has been a whirl wind of travel for me

Vancouver BC
    Calgary Alberta
    Ottawa (2 times)
    Montreal PQ
    Quebec City PQ
    Fredericton / Saint John, NB
    Whitehorse, YK
    Detroit/Flint MI

Places I want to go

Newfoundland
    France
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    The Mrs. and I were planning on going to Europe this spring (Scotland/France), hopefully the finances allow us to follow through.

I'd like to take a road trip somewhere this summer, but not sure where yet.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    The wife and I are doing a list of places we would like to travel to. The hard part is she has done a lot of traveling over seas and I have not. Therefor, the places I want to go to, she has already been to.

Here is our list

Kayaking in Baja Mexico (were actually doing this in 5 weeks)
    Thailand
    Netherlands (she has been there but is willing to go back)
    Denmark (again she has been there but will go back)
    New Foundland
    New Zealand

Registered
    Aug 2004
    We're heading to Europe this year. My sis moved to Switzerland for work, so we have a free bed for a few nights, at least. While there, I want to visit N. Germany (I was an exchange student there) and perhaps Austria. Hubby's still making his list.

I've been to most states in the union, but some when I was little and don't really remember. I'm also trying to hit all 50. I want to see more of the northern states.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I plan to take a trip to Europe after i graduate. By then i will have hopefully saved enough money to spend about 3 months travelling around- plus i have friends throughout europe so accomodation in certain places will be free!

I would love to travel much more than i do currently- i do the usual east coast of Australia trips and i have been to Melbourne too many times and i did a contiki tour of the outback (which was awesome)

The only international trip (hardly international) was to New Zealand, but only the North Island- so that didnt really count (although Wellington was lovely!)

After Europe, i think either the USA or Africa will be the next destination!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Career goals
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 10 Sep 2009, 9:08 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 19 Mar 2009, 10:06 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 16 Feb 2009, 3:52 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Jun 2007, 6:02 PM