Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Gallery Rules, a must read for all

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003

Gallery Rules, a must read for all

Gallery rules, facts and things to know

This page will be updated from time to time. The last update was 18 August 2004.

The Cyburbia Gallery is NOT an image hosting service

The Cyburbia Gallery is a benefit offered to active Cyburbia Forums members and other friends of this site.

Forum participation is required

Gallery posting privileges are granted to those with 25 posts or more in the Cyburbia Forums.

If you reached 25 posts for Gallery access and stopped posting in the Forums, your Gallery use privileges may be suspended or removed.

If you are inactive for more than six months, your images may be removed at the discretion of the Gallery moderator.

Hotlinking is a privilege, not a right

When multiple images in the Cyburbia Gallery are hotlinked to threads in other bulletin boards (skyscrapercity.com, skyscraperpage.com, urbanphoto.net, skyscraperamerica.com, etc) by their owners, a similar post must also be made in the Cyburbia Forums. Failure to crosspost may result in image deletion.

Please ask for permission before hotlinking an image from a very busy site, such as Slashdot or Fark.

Cyburbia moderators monitor other bulletin boards and check site logs to ensure hotlinking is not abused. Leechers may have their Gallery posting privileges revoked and their images removed.

iownjoo.com and imghst are good free image hosts, without the content and leeching restrictions of Cyburbia.

Images must include accurate descriptions

The name of the pictured site and its location must be included with uploaded images, so thse browsing the gallery can identify what the image depicts, and where it is. Default camera image file names (ex: DSC03433.JPG) and very simple file names (ex: cityimage1) alone are not adequate. Images that do not include accurate descriptions may be removed at the discretion of the Gallery moderator.

Images must be related to the built environment

The Gallery is intended for to be a showcase of images related to planning and the built environment. Personal images should be uploaded only to the Temporary Images gallery. Personal images outside the termporary image directory will be deleted immediately; otherwise, they will be deleted one week after they are uploaded.

Uploaded images will be tagged

Uploaded images will be automatically labeled at the lower right hand corner with this small tag or "bug,"

Suggestions for even less prominent but equally effective tag designs are welcome.

Uploaded images will be made available for others to use

Uploaded images will be subject to the Creative Commons licensing and intellectual property scheme, unless stated otherwise.

Keep backups
    The Cyburbia administrator maintains regularly updated off-line backups of most images stored in the Gallery. Images should also be stored locally on your computer and on archival quality (Taiyo Yuden, Mitsumi) CD-R media. We are not responsible for any images lost through Web server or host problems.

Original Rules at http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/rules.html

SkeLeton,
    Gallery Moderator.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton

Images must include accurate descriptions

The name of the pictured site and its location must be included with uploaded images, so thse browsing the gallery can identify what the image depicts, and where it is. Default camera image file names (ex: DSC03433.JPG) and very simple file names (ex: cityimage1) alone are not adequate. Images that do not include accurate descriptions may be removed at the discretion of the Gallery moderator.
    Hey Skel,

One way you might get better titles is to set it up so that the file name doesn't automatically go into the title field. Then just make that and the location field mandatory in order to fully upload the file. I'm not sure how much flexibility the gallery software gives you, but it would be worth looking into.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton

Images must be related to the built environment

The Gallery is intended for to be a showcase of images related to planning and the built environment. Personal images should be uploaded only to the Temporary Images gallery. Personal images outside the termporary image directory will be deleted immediately; otherwise, they will be deleted one week after they are uploaded.

SkeLeton,
    Gallery Moderator.
    Let's see...augmented breasts are part of the built environment, right? Why can't images be related to the natural environment?

Looks to me like you're trying to eliminate images of desk forts, no? Wait, desk forts are lovingly built and highly regulated environments.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    A question, how do I delete photos from my gallery? Whenever I select the "delete photo" check box then hit submit I get a message that says I am not permitted to to do this action. In looking at my gallery I have about a dozen pictures that I have mistakingly uploaded twice.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    A question, how do I delete photos from my gallery? Whenever I select the "delete photo" check box then hit submit I get a message that says I am not permitted to to do this action. In looking at my gallery I have about a dozen pictures that I have mistakingly uploaded twice.
    This is odd, regular users are allowed to delete their own pictures... if you wish, PM me the links of the pics you want deleted and I'll do it.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    SkeL - I started deleting a bunch of images not related to the built environment from my gallery. Check it out. Help yourself to deleting anything else I missed that does not meet your criteria.

Quote Originally posted by SkeL
    Personal images outside the termporary image directory will be deleted immediately; otherwise, they will be deleted one week after they are uploaded.
    I can't wait to witness the shat storm you stir up when you start deleting images of Cyburbian's children, pets, engagements, weddings, etc..
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    I can't wait to witness the shat storm you stir up when you start deleting images of Cyburbian's children, pets, engagements, weddings, etc..
    When I managed the gallery I typically allowed regular users to keep a few such images in their gallery. I don't see why that can't continue. Guess I'm just not as much of a stickler for rules as our young Chilean friend.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    When I managed the gallery I typically allowed regular users to keep a few such images in their gallery. I don't see why that can't continue. Guess I'm just not as much of a stickler for rules as our young Chilean friend.
    Same here. Regular users get slack on the "non-built environment" images.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Come on people... personal images can stay.... I have no problem with that... the thing is that some have been uploading images to their member galleries to put them as attachments in the forums, when those belong in the temporary images folder (or on an imageshack or other free image hosting service)

I have nothing against photos of friends family, kids, pets, fieldtrips or whatever. (Just try to keep them as a minimum)

Also, I don't enforce retroactively, so if it was there before me, it stays

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Another friendly reminder from one of your 3 gallery mods.....Temporary Images....

Before Uploading to the Temporary Gallery...
    The Gallery front page is constantly displaying a variety of images that are not built-environment related, due to the increased usage of the temporary gallery for misc. images. Please....try using a free image hosting service that allows hotlinking, as is linked below. It makes the Gallery homepage look more appropriate for Cyburbia when planning/built-environment images are displayed there. See: This Page for links to Hotlink Friendly hosts.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    ATTENTION ALL POSTS ABOVE ARE OVER 10 MONTHS OLD!!!

A little bump to this old thread, so people remember the gallery rules.... (actually I think this should get stickied)

Also, keep in mind that personal images, and other community related pics can be uploaded outside the temporary images gallery if kept to a decent number.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Our gallery rules!

Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton View post
    ATTENTION ALL POSTS ABOVE ARE OVER 10 MONTHS OLD!!!

A little bump to this old thread, so people remember the gallery rules.... (actually I think this should get stickied)

Also, keep in mind that personal images, and other community related pics can be uploaded outside the temporary images gallery if kept to a decent number.
    thank you for the update, it clears up a little question I had.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    And if you don't like the images I posted....delete them (no smilie face).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    And if you don't like the images I posted....delete them (no smilie face).
    Before Uploading to the Temporary Gallery...
    The Gallery front page is constantly displaying a variety of images that are not built-environment related, due to the increased usage of the temporary gallery for misc. images. Please....try using a free image hosting service that allows hotlinking, as is linked below. It makes the Gallery homepage look more appropriate for Cyburbia when planning/built-environment images are displayed there.
    Do we really have to go there yet another time? I thought I had cleared that up the last 2 times....

+ Reply to thread