Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hexcity

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Just for kicks and my own curiosity why wouldn't this alternative with green belts (which are much more accessable to surrounding hexes) and more highly concentrated residential areas work? then you have your green belts seperating your uses (to a degree) or then each hex could be a residential or industrial use completely seperated by greenery? Just some thoughts.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	hex alt.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	3471
    Last edited by Tide; 24 Jan 2006 at 1:39 PM.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jan 2005
    That's what I suggested awhile ago - thought it would balance better. I think the fellow is pretty heart set on his method, though.

Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    That's what I suggested awhile ago - thought it would balance better. I think the fellow is pretty heart set on his method, though.
    I just thought you would be isolating the residential areas more, like islands. Expanding on Tides idea... How about a more divese aproach. A random pattern throughout the city:
    Some hexagon centers parks others residential.
    Some pods commercail others industial others residential others parks.
    The subway terminals still pop up at the centre of each pod.
    Any thoughts on the presentation, folks? Or does it look good / professional.

Last edited by exhibition1st; 25 Jan 2006 at 1:07 AM.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Looks like gridlock waiting to happen.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Looks like my Grandma's couch

Registered
    Oct 2005
    exhibition1st - I think your theory is decent ... if we ever populate Mars you'll be the first to call. I think on the small scale the blocks don't mesh well and the traffic patterns can be a bit confusing, people like a direct path to work. However, on the large scale, say each hex is a city, not a neighborhood, the model probably works much better. Say the lines you drew are the highways and inside the hex the city has been able to grow more naturally, but in the scheme of the region the hexes work like villages, towns, or cities (which could be a super hex).

My 2 cents, play with it if you like.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think you're barking up the wrong tree here, so to speak. Fundamentally the rigid form you propose is entirely un-civic in that cities tend to be adaptable and flexible, and when they are not, they often fail. And by relaxing this rigid form you are leaving behind the reasons for proposing it in the first place, so either position is questionable. I think as a large city this would be mostly disastrous, but I'm reminded of Soleri's arcology concept... this might work wonderfully as small outposts, or an "ideal" urban agricultural village (by this I mean dense, rural development). I think downscaling this to only a few (say less than 3, ideally 1) hex's and developing and living along sustainanable guidelines would be an interesting application.

The presentation on the web site was excellent, I thought. The navigation was kind of intuitive and counterintuitive all at once. Once I got the hang of it I was speeding along. It was unclear at times what was a subheading vs a larger heading (of the links - ie which lead to a new page vs. a new section on the current page).

The reason I had proposed swapping the green for the developed land was to try and correct the ratio to something more useful. I had no designs on mix of uses or segregation of uses... simply a swapping of green and built.

Quote Originally posted by savemattoon
    Looks like my Grandma's couch
    Where do you think i got the idea from?

Quote Originally posted by Tide
    ... people like a direct path to work...
    Sure they do. But few people have one. I live up the road from my work place, I wouldnt go to work by car coz its too close. The rest of the neighbours drive all over the place to get to work. My point is, they dont have adirect route anaway.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 25 Jan 2006 at 12:13 PM. Reason: double reply. please consolidate multiple replies in ONE POST

limited imagination

When putting out an idea for people to comment on I expected to get a range of opinions about the idea in general, concerns that had been already considered and included in the design (please read the documentation) and concerns that I hadn't foreseen. This last one being the most helpful and humbling.

Thanks again for all the comments you posted. This is a first for me. Its the time I use a forum, the first time I try to design regional planning (or planning of any kind) and the first time I get feedback from people in the filed.

I wanted to write about how some of these comments have struck me. Im not setting out to point posts out, just to express what effect they have had on me in general.

The most frustrating wasn't people commenting on things that are in the documentation, I do the same thing when I try to use a VCR without reading the manual. The most frustrating thing was a cynical or pessimistic overtone in some posts. You can comment on something... lets say "litter".

"There will be a lot of litter."...

Already they have visualized the environment differently to what I see it as. And why does it seem to be, most of the time, a disastrous world. Might this have something to do with not giving a young designer the chance to plan something interesting - collaboratively.

About collaboration, "prevention" or "solution" are lacking in their post. You might as well say "There is a pencil jabbed in you back and you are going to die." instead of doing something about it. Well, at least I know why I might die. The comment about the litter is like saying "You are going to die." not including any rational explanation or reason why this might happen.

Facts may not be supported. How can you predict something like that without testing it? I don't know **** about litter simulations, but I know you don't just knock one up and post about it. NOTE: If anyone can make a simulation for HexCity I would be very willing to part with some money.
    Please don't be limited by your own imagination and think about the possibilities. Thank you to those who have done so in this thread.

Registered
    May 2010

What's up Charles. I decided to revisit da original site 2 add my 2 cents.

ha ha ha halha!

Seriously, Though I wish Hex City were real. I have a few ideas of my own to share. Soon I want to post them here. "The only place for hex theorist and city designers to come together and share idea." Thanks for putting this out there... I enjoy your work. Good Evening from Memphis TN. Let me see if I can find something on my computer to share that is Hexagonal like!

____Damn.. I can't figure out how to post an image but, I will be back later to try again. Love da plan Charles. Peace. Bro.

Registered
    May 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Just for kicks and my own curiosity why wouldn't this alternative with green belts (which are much more accessable to surrounding hexes) and more highly concentrated residential areas work? then you have your green belts seperating your uses (to a degree) or then each hex could be a residential or industrial use completely seperated by greenery? Just some thoughts.
    Attachment 3471
    Why not a living cell inside the honeycomb that raises young and produces food like the honey bees comb. A land of milk and honey like a matrix to plan other stuff on it could be layered with other perfect tessallations like the perfect square and perfect triangle. Connect the suspended maxtrixs into one comb. The individual has a choice of that matrix or level to live on. Hanging from da sky this kyte can be set free to roll threw da milky way and beyond. :D)

Fish Rule

EXCUSE me. I want to know how many people are in this group is it 88? Interesting thing about repeating numbers. LIke utopian dream they repeat over and over again every 100 years or so. Who am I? To judge. I am an artist. I specialize in honeycomb designs. This plan is a feast for me. Like nothing I have seen before.

Welcome to the show. Ladies and Gentle man please come inside. Good Evening. You will not believe your eyes. Your ears? Ladies and Gentle man Please come inside. Come a little bit closer to my side of da room. Lend me your ear. I have arrived to raise da room on this one by any way I can. I will help.

Collaboration Accepted

Charles. It's been so long man. I can't help but laugh. ha ha. Da last time I spoke to you I was living in public housing. I bought your book even though I can't read it. You sent me da English version. It took me almost 2 years to read it. I've been busy. I am out of public housing now. Have my own place in da sun wit a beautiful view of da forrest near
    Shelby Farms Park da largest urban park in America. It is less than a mile from were I live. I have a farming plot of land at da farm. I like to grow Okra it is a very hardy plant. I cook for myself and my girlfriend all the time and have gotten pretty good. I cook other things. Mostly vegatables and meat. I love to eat sushi and drink Reeds Ginger Brew. If you are ever in da U.S. I'd like to meet you for lunch. Chat wit you later buddy. I have to learn some more stuff on da internet friend.

If I had a Billion or even a Trilliion dollars I would try to make Hex City happen man. Bro. Well my lunch is ready........ DougGorin
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 04 May 2010 at 8:38 AM. Reason: double reply

BANNED
    Registered
    Aug 2010
    i might be interested in modeling this ?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Walter Christaller already has... in 1933.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2