Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Looking for some opinions on what degree would suit me better

     
    Registered
    Oct 2005

Looking for some opinions on what degree would suit me better

I am just looking for opinions on whether it makes sense for me to pursue an Urban Studies M.S. at Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville or transferring to UNC-Charlotte and pursuing an M.A. in Locational Analysis.

Personally, I am more interested in a career in location analysis/research, market research, real estate development location and regional economic development.

UNC-Charlotte seems to offer more specialized classes with more of what I'm interested in. It would seem the SIUE Urban Studies M.S. program would be too broad and I'd be taking more classes that would entail Anthropology and also Sociology instead of my main interests which are more of the Economic Geography variety. I know the Urban Studies program includes a bit of that, but based on what I see it doesn't compare to the UNC-Charlotte program.

I am just wondering if I could get by with an Urban Studies M.S. based on my interests or would going to UNC-Charlotte really be a wiser move? If anyone could provide some advice on the matter it would be greatly appreciated.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Go to UNC or SIU as a visiting student, take your favorite courses, graduate from your home institution. Wouldn't hurt to go to a top school on non-degree status and do that.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Seems that the UNC degree would fit you better, indeed. It would be much more useful to you, if this is in fact what you want to do for a career.

that really depends on your interests in life..

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm probably as close to a location analyst as anyone here. My master's thesis was on intrametropolitan relocation patterns of manufacturers, which I did for a degree in urban and economic geography. I did this knowing that I still wanted a career which would encompass planning. My regret was that my program did not offer more than a handful of courses in land use and environmental or resource planning.

Which of the two (location analysis or planning) do you favor? Where do you want to work when you graduate? What are your job prospects? Make yourself as marketable as possible for the kind of work you want to do. Either way, it does not hurt to have several extra courses in the other field. You can always graduate with more than the required number of courses.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

     
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    I'm probably as close to a location analyst as anyone here. My master's thesis was on intrametropolitan relocation patterns of manufacturers, which I did for a degree in urban and economic geography. I did this knowing that I still wanted a career which would encompass planning. My regret was that my program did not offer more than a handful of courses in land use and environmental or resource planning.

Which of the two (location analysis or planning) do you favor? Where do you want to work when you graduate? What are your job prospects? Make yourself as marketable as possible for the kind of work you want to do. Either way, it does not hurt to have several extra courses in the other field. You can always graduate with more than the required number of courses.

Thanks for those responses. I am interested in being a location analyst or market researcher. Planning is not something I want to do. I am much better at analyzing locations/markets or economic development issues.

Thanks Again

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 22
    Last post: 11 Dec 2012, 2:43 PM
  2. Replies: 32
    Last post: 09 Oct 2012, 8:58 PM
  3. Replies: 44
    Last post: 14 Jun 2011, 10:08 PM
  4. Looking for a new Suit
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 69