Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New York, NY :: Feb 17 to 25, 2006

Registered
    Jan 2005

New York, NY :: Feb 17 to 25, 2006

Well I'm off to Manhattan with my girlfriend for reading week, escaping the clutches of Waterloo, ON. I'll be staying three nights in hotel (hurrah for Hilton/Sheraton points) and the remainder in an NYU dorm on Broome St. The company in the NYU dorm is a friend of mine who is rather fun - she has a glassblowing class, of all things. The first half of the trip is for personal exploration and the like, while in the latter half of the trip the rest of my class from my PLAN 309 design studio arrives for a field trip and I will join them in their daily activities. My instructor has lined up some NY architects and planners for meetings and lunches and whatnot and we'll be having some targeted sightseeing and walks and spontaneous design assignments I suspect.

The great thing about the trip is that my accomodations are free throughout and my rail fare is only $160 CDN (return). I shall eat my savings!

Anyways - this is the standard call for reccomended stops and visits and things of note. If you've any information on presently running exhibits or shows that you think are wonderful, let me know. Thanks everyone! =)

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    Anyways - this is the standard call for reccomended stops and visits and things of note. If you've any information on presently running exhibits or shows that you think are wonderful, let me know. Thanks everyone! =)
    If you can, explore the New Jersey countryside by all means. The views are breathtaking...in places like Warren, Sussex, Hunterdon, and Morris Counties, especially near the Delaware River as well.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    avoid the major tourist areas/traps, and explore the nooks and crannies of the less "touristed" neighborhoods. I recommend getting lost in the Village west of the NYU campus. Also, I liked my exploring time on the westside in the area of 12th through 20th streets walking north along 10th and 9th avenues. It is a nice former and active industiral/office/warehouse area with seemingly random antique markets on the various parking/vacant lots.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

One tourist trap worth checking out is Times Square, just for to see the effect of Robert A.M. Stern's design codes. It's really very impressive, though visually loud.

And if you must go to an observation deck, go to Rockefeller Center's. It's a lot better organized than the Empire State's. Also Rockefeller Center is a good case study in urban design.

Just be aware of the tolls. You'll hit your first one when you pass Erie, PA and pay it on the West side of Buffalo and pick up your second one when you pass Buffalo and pay it when you get to Rochester.

The cops can be fairly aggressive when you get into Mansfield, OH and on 271 in Cleveland, OH.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'm going by rail so the State Highway Patrol are the least of my concern. I'm also limited to public transit and the VERY occasional taxi.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Bring something to read to the Times Square at night and you'd be surprised just how easy it is to read at night down at the Square.

I've heard that the ferry ride from Staten Island to Manhatten Island is a journey that's worth doing for the sake of admiring the Manhatten skyline.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Since your interested in planning you may consider venturing out to Queens to see Forest Hills. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_Hills_(Queens)
    It is a 1920s era development modeled after an English garden suburb. Quite a green and tranquil place with some decent architecture.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983
    Since your interested in planning you may consider venturing out to Queens to see Forest Hills.
    For sure. If you're already in Queens then consider checking out Gantry State Park, which is fairly new and in an old industrial area. Worth a visit, in my opinion.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Stick to exploring the neighbourhoods around NYU (Lower East Side, Alphabet City, the Village, SoHo), this is where you'll have the best luck finding interesting places, food, people etc... Avoid any temptation to go up the Empire State building or the Statue of Liberty, you'll be wasting your time. Time's Square is a sight to behold but be prepared to fight the crowds. Wall Street can be interesting on a busy weekday to observe the hustle and bustle of the world's economy in action. Take the Staten Island Ferry round trip (don't even get off), it's free and you get a great view of the Statue of Liberty and the NYC skyline. If you have a chance get out to Brooklyn and if the weather cooperates walk back accross the Brooklyn Bridge to Manhattan. If the weather is awful and you need a break hit one of the big museums. You can spend all day in the MET and it's worth it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Greetings from New York!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 06 Jan 2013, 10:13 AM
  2. Research from New York, NY
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 Jun 2010, 2:47 PM
  3. Greetings from New York!
    Introduce Yourself