Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Death Bed Reflections

Registered
    Feb 2004

Death Bed Reflections

I'm curious if anyone else has had an experience with a family member who they had a falling out with. Years later, when on their death bed, did you 'make your peace' with them or not, and did you regret it if you did not?
    Last edited by Maister; 17 Jan 2006 at 3:41 PM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I was just having this conversation last night...or at least similar. Just found out (really knew) that the mother in-law is a very high candidate for stroke. She finally went to the Dr. who delivered the news that she is a real time bomb. We are not on speaking terms right now...as on the last visit she was a real monster. We were discussing you know...what if something happens... are you comfortable with this 'not speaking to the monster'? It is a hard issue.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Mar 2002
    My grandfather died this summer after years of us not speaking. I wish I could talk to my grandmother-he forbade it but I have no doubts about my not speaking to him at all. he chose to try to take me to court, strangle me and called me a killer for putting my signature on papers pulling the plug on my mother. Never mind my mother left written instruction thats what she wanted, she was a shrivled up rotting thing kept alive by means other than her own and I am the monster for following her wishes.

Sorry to me he was dead the day he lunged for my neck. I have no regrets
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. On death and dying...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 30 May 2012, 2:38 PM
  2. Death By Natural Causes
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 06 Apr 2010, 6:57 PM
  3. Replies: 49
    Last post: 25 Jan 2008, 12:16 AM