+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What's More Irritating #1: Emos vs Guidos/Ginos

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

What's More Irritating #1: Emos vs Guidos/Ginos

Emo kids.

Guidos and Guidettes (or, as they say in Toronto, Ginos and Ginas).

Registered
    May 2003
    Guidos, because Emos will grow out of it. Guidos will grow up to become trixies and chads.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    what's a guido/guidette?? is that like "metrosexual"?

nevertheless, i hate 'em both

EDIT: I get the impression that the guido thing is something unique to the greater New York area. I think the only thing I can think of remotely similar to the guidos are metrosexuals/clubbers.
    Last edited by illinoisplanner; 20 Jan 2006 at 2:16 AM.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Guidos will grow up to become trixies and chads.
    Back home, they usually turn out like this.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Emos usually at least have some intelligence and modesty (if the angst doesn't get to you).

Guidos-well not too many Italians/Southern Europeans in my hometown, so the closest thing I can link them with are the Jocks and Jockettes/Cheerleaders. I do NOT have any fond memories of the Jocks and Cheerleaders.

Teenagers in general are always annoying, especially in large groups.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Emos. Guidos dont a) exist in Brisbane or b) cram my radio.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Guido/Ginos and Ginas are way more annoying.

You'll have to trust me on this one, my office is about 80% of this persuasion and they don't grow out of it.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    what's a guido/guidette?? is that like "metrosexual"?

EDIT: I get the impression that the guido thing is something unique to the greater New York area. I think the only thing I can think of remotely similar to the guidos are metrosexuals/clubbers.
    No way! Guidos are plentiful in New England and Philly as well. Anywhere with a significant population of people of Mediterranean descent* will have guidos. In RI and MA they usually drove IROCs (ask me what that stands for ;-0), wore Z Cavaricci pants, silk shirts, gold chains, and big boxy baseball hats. They also used plentiful amounts of hair mousse or gel and Drakkar Noir cologne.

In Boston, we also had "Eurotrash." They resemble guidos from a distance, until you realize that their car is worth more than your family's combined lifetime earnings and they are heir to a small kingdom on the Arab penisula. They hang at the Armani Exchange for lunch, live in a parentally-supplied downtown condo while studying at BU, and hit the clubs after midnight with slicked-hair and greased up hands (trust me I used to valet their cars, trying frantically to hold on to the lotion-covered steering wheels).

*I am also of Mediterranean descent

The problem with Italian girls is that they become Italian mothers.

Guidos definitely remind me of growing up in a predominantly Italian suburb of NJ, so I'll turn it around and say that Emos are less irritating.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I would vote none of the above! I have some good friends that fit into both groups. At least they are not out robbing the corner liquor store so they have money to get the stuff to make Meth.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Guidos suck.....emos are usually not as obnoxious on as many levels.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Being from RI I have more experience with guidos. Just like anybody else some guys with BUM Equipment sweatshirts are down to earth people, and some are just obnoxious. The most obnoxious guidos were the ones who listened to rap music, dressed and talked like rappers but were profoundly rasict.

I think "guido culture" has been on the decline since the residents of guido neighborhoods have been dispersing into the suburbs. You don't have as many white ethnic neighborhoods in the cities anymore.

JMello - are you familiar with Spardello's attempt at bringing back guido style to the masses?

http://www.spardellos.com/accesories.asp

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Anyone not like me is irritating.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Oct 2003
    If I had to pick one over the other, I'd go with guido/ginos. Maybe just because I sometimes feel that I'm swarmed by them when I go to the university that I attend. Partly that's because there's a lot of people who have the same ethnic background as guido/gino have, whereas I rarely see emo unless I'm at or near a high school.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    Why?

I don't understand the anger towards these groups. Some people have made some comments above and I am very surprised that they feel that way given their political associations. I just thought that many of you would be a bit more open minded about people who may live a different lifestyle than you, make different choices than you, and have a different background than you.

In some cases I am very disappointed and slightly ashamed that some of the comments above are being said.

It would be much different if it was Red Wings Fans or Avalanche fans, or Republican’s or Democrats, but regardless of who they like for a hockey team *if they even like hockey, or what way they vote, does not influence who they are. For these two groups of people this is their life style, it is who they are!
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Why?

I don't understand the anger towards these groups. Some people have made some comments above and I am very surprised that they feel that way given their political associations. I just thought that many of you would be a bit more open minded about people who may live a different lifestyle than you, make different choices than you, and have a different background than you.

In some cases I am very disappointed and slightly ashamed that some of the comments above are being said.
    Lighten up, dude. We're commenting on groups, not individuals. And they are silly, meaningless, pop culturally defined groups anyways, so it doesn't really mean anything.
    Last edited by mendelman; 20 Jan 2006 at 10:11 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan

Nice pit stain!

I tend to like Emos--at least they are usually capable of a complete thought. When I talk to Guidos and their adult counterparts, they usually make my brain hurt and often come off as VERY superficial. Guidos tend not to outgrow it either, unlike emos. (and for Mskis, I know there are exceptions to this rule). Also, I'm assuming that the term "guido" is not limited exclusively to Italian/Sicilian heritage, but is more a shot at the "frat boy look and attitude".

The Mrs.' little brother is kind of in the emo crowd, but isn't as detached as many of them are. His girlfriend (another emo) is really sweet. I used to get annoyed by them, but as I got to know them that changed. In general, I've found most emos to be very accepting, while the "guido" crowd comes off as shallow. I had my fill of guidos while in college with their popped collars, obcession with overrated vodka mixed with Red Bull and 'roid rage.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    From the pics and some comments I'll have to go with Guidos... they look like the typical musclehead jocks and airhead bimbos to me... (speaking in a general level... so I'm not offending anybody here)
    Emos might be irritating with their attention whore-ish attitude and bad poetry and other things.. but I defiantely despise people that look like those Guidos shown above... I have antibodies for them... You can just ignore emos... it's not like they're really gonna kill themselves if you pay no attention to them.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

This guy summed up my vote right there.

Quote Originally posted by jmello
    No way! Guidos are plentiful in New England and Philly as well. Anywhere with a significant population of people of Mediterranean descent* will have guidos. In RI and MA they usually drove IROCs (ask me what that stands for ;-0), wore Z Cavaricci pants, silk shirts, gold chains, and big boxy baseball hats. They also used plentiful amounts of hair mousse or gel and Drakkar Noir cologne.

In Boston, we also had "Eurotrash." They resemble guidos from a distance, until you realize that their car is worth more than your family's combined lifetime earnings and they are heir to a small kingdom on the Arab penisula. They hang at the Armani Exchange for lunch, live in a parentally-supplied downtown condo while studying at BU, and hit the clubs after midnight with slicked-hair and greased up hands (trust me I used to valet their cars, trying frantically to hold on to the lotion-covered steering wheels).
    You described some of the groups known to populate certain sections of the South Denver, Greenwood Village area. These groups are known to go to the same high school as a promenant, if not annoying Cybuirbian...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Definitely gonna go with Emo on this one. And whoever said Guido culture is on the way out must be missing, oh, the entire population of Long Island.

-J

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I voted for the guidos as more irritating, but it's not like I really encounter either of those two groups in my day-to-day activities.

I have to wonder, though - do the guidos really think that their look is, um, attractive? Then again, who am I to judge...

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Definetly have to go with the guidos on this one. These people simply think way to much of themselves, a trait I find quite annoying.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    nice 'roids!
    "You can measure the health of a city by the vitality and energy of its streets and public open spaces.”-- William H. Whyte..

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I voted Guidos.

I just don't trust men that wax more of their body than I do.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Irritating civil service exam question
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 14 Dec 2010, 6:11 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last post: 31 Jul 2008, 9:28 AM
  3. More irritating commercials
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 66