Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: No more registration from Yahoo addresses - NO EXCEPTIONS

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

No more registration from Yahoo addresses - NO EXCEPTIONS

Almost all the spam we get is from people that registered with a Yahoo e-mail address.

Most bounced email we get because of full e-mail boxes and invalid addresses comes from those that have a Yahoo email address.

I'm sick of the insidervlv dot com spam, the "ChEcK OuT tHiS kEwL WeBsItE!!!1!!!one!" spam, the viral marketing, and the bounced registration notification messages. Almost all of that garbage comes from folks who registered with a Yahoo address. I'm seriously pissed off. No more.

From this point forward, Yahoo email addresses cannot be used for forum registration, period. If you want to register for the forums, and you're using a Yahoo email address, find another email provider. Absolutely no exceptions whatsoever. I don't care if you've got 1,000 posts. I don't care if you're a moderator. I don't care if you're FAICP. I don't care if I've met you personally. I don't care if you're got thousands of posts. I don't care if I Google your name and everything that comes back is planning-related. I don't care if you're Jane Jacobs, Andres Duany, or the reincarnation of Daniel Burnham, Lewis Mumford, Edmund Bacon or Israel Stollman. I don't care if you're my girlfriend, ex-girlfriend, or some hottie I met at the Wynkoop Brewing Company in 1999. No Yahoo e-mail, no matter what top level domain suffix is attached to the address - com, uk, cn, I don't care. Everything with "yahoo" in the address is verbotten. EVERYTHING.

If you use Yahoo for email, I highly recommend that you find a new email provider. If you're a member with a Yahoo address, and your email starts bouncing for any reason whatsoever -- full mailbox, no route to host, anything no matter how minor -- you'll be suspended until you get a non-Yahoo e-mail address. Absolutely no exceptions, no matter what; see the previous paragraph. Dump Yahoo as your registered address on Cyburbia.

Again, no exceptions. This policy is permanent - it's carved in stone. It will never change, no matter how much you beg me to change it. NO MORE REGISTRATION FROM YAHOO EMAIL ADDRESSES.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Will you allow any exceptions?

Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Will you allow any exceptions?
    Nice avatar.

Registered
    May 2003
    So I'm not hearing a lot of support for the yahoo email addresses...

Don't be shy, Dan, tell us what you really think.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Was it the spam I reported that pushed the Yahoo offending tally over the edge?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    Was it the spam I reported that pushed the Yahoo offending tally over the edge?
    If it's the Las Vegas tourism-related site that spams the board every couple of weeks, yes it was. (giff57 deleted the spam, and NHPlanner cleaned up the one-liners that gave the user a message count needed to post a URL.)

Almost all the spam we get comes from Yahoo addresses. Almost all of the bounced registrations are from Yahoo addresses. About half of the non-validated new users have Yahoo addresses. I don't want to say that everyone with a Yahoo address is a spammer, but most of the spammers register with Yahoo addresses.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Sadly it's the only way... it's a shame that Cyburbia is beginning to be targeted by spammers. They already took down Planning Wiki, so it's about time that registration starts being a little more strict, in order to avoid the spammers.

The minimum posts to be able to put urls in a post is like 6 right? I say that it should be 10 minimum and at least 15 days of membership (to avoid having morons posting one liners to reach the minimum posts)

Yahoo is not a respectable e-mail provider, neither is Hotmail... they're all too massive and prone to spammers.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Take Skel's idea further and higher -
    isn't 25 posts the threshold for other Cyburbian privileges ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    A note about the wiki, as mentioned above: integrating the two user databases is absolutely crucial, if annoying to implement.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Nice avatar.
    Wal-Mart! My favorite!

I agree with the others. Increase the post count requirements.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Can I use my Yahoo account if it has my real name attached?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff
    Can I use my Yahoo account if it has my real name attached?
    No. ииииии

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 26 Apr 2011, 7:50 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Apr 2006, 6:25 AM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 29 Dec 2004, 10:20 AM