Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Historic preservation

Registered
    Sep 2005

Historic preservation

Is anyone familiar w/ the Historic Preservation specialization in a Planning program.
    In particular, Clemson's program in Charleston.

I'm curious about job prospects w/ this type of specialization.

Any info. would be appreciated

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Before answering the "job prospects" question - do you have any idea what career track you would want to pursue if you went through a program like that? Are you interested in preservation planning or in a more hands-on career in historic rehab?

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba
    Before answering the "job prospects" question - do you have any idea what career track you would want to pursue if you went through a program like that? Are you interested in preservation planning or in a more hands-on career in historic rehab?
    Preservation planning is what interests me.

I don't really know what the market is like right now. I have an MS in Preservation with cognate in Urban and Regional Planning. I work as a planner, but also cover all preservation / urban design types of issues, although it's not in my job description and I am not remunerated for it. (Sucker, yep. That's me ).

Although I could be way off, it seems to me that the larger jurisdictions would be more likely to have preservation planning on staff, whereas most of the smaller places (I'm about 40,000 pop.) would not be able to allow that type of position. Certainly, places where preservation tourism is a big deal (regardless of community size) would also be likely to have professional preservation staff.

I'd get in touch with the school and ask them what types of placements they've had in the past few years to see what is out there.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bill
    Preservation planning is what interests me.
    Check some preservation job boards to get an idea of what's out there - both Cornell's (http://www.preservenet.cornell.edu/employopps.html) and Mary Washington's (http://www.umw.edu/cas/historicprese...on/default.php) are good places to start. That'll give some idea as to the type of jobs and employeers available. The Clemson program (at least as described on their website) looks ok, and Charleston gives you one heck of a good field lab in which to work. There are some other good established HP programs in the southeast - PM me if you want more insight.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I am not familiar with any of the "Historic Preservation Planning" educational programs, however I am a Historic Preservation PLanner in my current position. My studies did not focus on historic preservation and I have done long range and current planning for this municipality as well as others. While I enjoy historic preservation, I am glad that my background is much broader than just that. Being so specialized in just one aspect of planning may eventually hurt you when looking in the job market. I suggest if this is the direction you are set on going, get as much background in architecture as possible, its the one area I lack the most knowledge in.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Just an FYI....

Clemson University is in Clemson, SC which is near the SC-Georgia border. They have the Urban Planning program which has a historic preservation emphasis option which is a joint program with the College of Charleston which is in Charleston, SC. College of Charleston does not have an urban planning program but does have a historic preservation program. The two cities are about 4-5 hours apart so I would presume that any historic preservation courses would be taught via distance ed.

If I were you I would sift through the student lounge forum for some opinion on the Clemson program as that is the degree granting university. I believe that there was someone who had visited the program not too long ago and was gracious enough to provide his comments for the rest of us.

Cheers!

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bill
    Is anyone familiar w/ the Historic Preservation specialization in a Planning program.
    In particular, Clemson's program in Charleston.

I'm curious about job prospects w/ this type of specialization.

Any info. would be appreciated
    I'm actually interning in Columbia right now with the Historic Preservation Dept. (It consists of 2 people). Its a hard job to pin down I would think just because of the lack of openings. On the other hand, these types of positions are just starting to appear in many places. I know of the program you are talking about, but I'm not sure how it is or how it works, but could you really be in a better city than Charleston to learn about Historic Preservation?

BTW - from interning here, preservation planners don't have much power, especially if its a new initiative in the city you are working in. Everything gets grandfathered in and it takes a while to see any real improvement...

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by SilverKey01
    I'm actually interning in Columbia right now with the Historic Preservation Dept.
    Hey neighbor! am finishing up a B.S. at Lander in Greenwood and live in Greenville. I did a 7 month stint interning with the Uptown Greenwood (Main Street USA) office.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I am only aware of Cornell U having specialization in Preservation Planning.

Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    While I enjoy historic preservation, I am glad that my background is much broader than just that. Being so specialized in just one aspect of planning may eventually hurt you when looking in the job market.
    I agree with you, Jaxspra, but my experiences so far are quite the opposite. I just completed my Masters in HPres and have aspirations to become a planner. I also felt constrained by focusing primarily on the historic and the "particulars" of studying architectural materials, styles, etc. I wanted to have some kind of socio-cultural and economic understanding of the role of HPres in the grander scheme of things. Right now, I am doing policy research for an affordable housing organization. I think that having the extra non-HPres experience helps not only in the job market, but personally, being on the outside helps me become more critical of my field (not a bad thing), determine points of contention (i.e. cost-burden of historic rehab, regulatory barriers), and find ways for collaboration.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by time+space
    I am only aware of Cornell U having specialization in Preservation Planning.
    Fairly complete list of schools that offer historic preservation classes/programs/degrees, along with their areas of specialization: http://www.uvm.edu/histpres/ncpe/chart.html

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 07 Sep 2011, 9:57 AM
  2. MS historic preservation?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 30 Sep 2008, 10:41 AM
  3. Preservation Historic preservation
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Jan 2007, 11:52 AM