Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Rural land use design/support

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2004

Rural land use design/support

Our county is an extremely fast-growing county in the northern rockies... lots of young professionals moving in, lots of retired folks moving in, lots of construction workers moving in, etc... Its a classic case of a rural county making the transition from rural backwater to a relatively hip place.

One of the big issues is that there is still a very large, and aging, contingent of farmers and ranchers. These folks have seen many attempts at decent planning fail, and they've seen a lot of environmental groups, with good intentions, try and guide the process. In short, they don't trust the city-folk, the enviros, the planners, etc..

What we're trying to do is try and institute some type of rural land use center that would try and help some of these folks with options for developing (or conserving) their land, in a responsible way that works for the county at large, when the time comes for them to retire. The process itself tends to overwhelm and intimidate a lot of these folks, and they aren't the type that want to go out and hire expensive professionals to help with sensitive design, with financial backing, or whatever. They want to draw lines on a map with the cheapest surveyor they can find and get the heck out of the courthouse. We'd like to give them options and ideas.

Any thoughts or examples of places that have done this? I know that a few counties in colorado have attempted a version of this, as has Grand Traverse Bay and Center for Rural Massachussetts. Any other places out there that are experimenting with this? Any thoughts?
    Last edited by vaughan; 23 Jan 2006 at 5:01 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    I really don't have any experience with or advice on your project, but it sounds like a great idea and I wish you the best of luck. That could be such a useful resource for everyone in your community.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by vaughan
    What we're trying to do is try and institute some type of rural land use center that would try and help some of these folks with options for developing (or conserving) their land, in a responsible way that works for the county at large, when the time comes for them to retire. The process itself tends to overwhelm and intimidate a lot of these folks, and they aren't the type that want to go out and hire expensive professionals to help with sensitive design, with financial backing, or whatever. They want to draw lines on a map with the cheapest surveyor they can find and get the heck out of the courthouse. We'd like to give them options and ideas.
    Does it really matter now. Harper is going to entrench individual property rights in the constitution and put all the planners out of a job since the constitutional rights supercede provincial and municipal laws. This promise got no media coverage that I know of until last weekend when it was covered on CBC Radio's "The House".

Enshrining property rights in the Constitution
    The 1960 Bill of Rights, introduced by the Right Honourable John G. Diefenbaker, confers the protection of property rights on Canadians. However, property rights are not mentioned in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
    The plan
    A Conservative government will:
    Propose an amendment to the Constitution to include the right to own property, as well as guarantee that no person shall be deprived of their just right without the due process of law and full, just, and timely compensation.
    Enact legislation to ensure that full, just, and timely compensation will be paid to all persons who are deprived of personal or private property as a result of any federal government initiative, policy, process, regulation, or legislation.

Source: http://media.conservative.ca/video/2...3-Platform.pdf

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Public invovlement would work wonders. Schedule meetings to find out what are the problems and needs PRIOR to development of a plan. This will get buy-in from many.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jmf
    Does it really matter now. Harper is going to entrench individual property rights in the constitution and put all the planners out of a job since the constitutional rights supercede provincial and municipal laws. This promise got no media coverage that I know of until last weekend when it was covered on CBC Radio's "The House".

Enshrining property rights in the Constitution
    The 1960 Bill of Rights, introduced by the Right Honourable John G. Diefenbaker, confers the protection of property rights on Canadians. However, property rights are not mentioned in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
    The plan
    A Conservative government will:
    Propose an amendment to the Constitution to include the right to own property, as well as guarantee that no person shall be deprived of their just right without the due process of law and full, just, and timely compensation.
    Enact legislation to ensure that full, just, and timely compensation will be paid to all persons who are deprived of personal or private property as a result of any federal government initiative, policy, process, regulation, or legislation.

Source: http://media.conservative.ca/video/2...3-Platform.pdf
    it's amazing the backlash to planning that is out there in all parts -

they seriously shoot planners in montana, don't they?

here in maine, i just get yelled at in the grocery line -

but in answer to the original question - check with the resident Vermont planner in here - they are usually on the cutting edge of rural planning (and not kiss their behind, but it shows, i am a big Vermont fan)

what i have found with rural planning that works best is to go to them, don't ask them to come to you or to your meeting - ask if you can come see them, have coffee, beer, whatever - the personal touch is respected than the "i'm from the government and i'm here to help" approach

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Check out the Quincy library Group in Quincy, Ca. (Do a Google search). It was about a forest management plan built on a coalition of planners, enviros, and good ol boys. Similar principles though.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 18 Feb 2011, 3:23 PM
  2. Rural land use plan survey
    Rural and Small Town Planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 13 Aug 2009, 10:46 AM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last post: 06 Jul 2009, 11:28 AM
  4. i need some support please
    Economic and Community Development