Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Consulting salaries

Consulting salaries

Can anybody out there give me a ballpark idea of what someone with a master's degree in planning would make in an entry level job with a private planning firm?
    What would the $$ difference be between a small, independent firm and a planning division within a large engineering or architecture firm?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    IN your area, I would expect an entry level salary, with a masters but no experience, to be around $30,000. This will also depend on location. There will be more jobs in larger firms, but you will likely not get as good an experience. You might be relagated to the same type of work over and over.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

I don't know the Indiana market, but I'd think you might find something closer to mid-thirties if you've at least done an internship, maybe more if your master's research is really applicable to your work.

Given a choice, I'd recommend working for a small firm early on, then moving to a bigger company when the career ladder and 401(k)'s get more important to you. I would not expect there to be a difference for entry-level jobs, but the big firms certainly offer more growing room after a few years' experience.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    It depends on the location. You may easily get around 35K in private firms (small to/or medium). If it is not too late, you should get an intership while you are at school. Better than nothing.
    Work hard, play hard.
    Listen carefully, see broadly.
    Good people, great environment, wonderful life.

Registered
    Feb 2006

Public Sector?

Any reason why you're focusing on consultant firms? Public sector jobs don't pay ALL that much less and you really can make a difference...plus it's as stressfull. I've worked both sides and enjoyed both, but I think I'm public sector to stay. One thing I got sick of in private consulting is UTILITY rate and billability. You sure as hell don't want to be billing your time to the company, you need to have projects (i.e., Clients) to bill to. 92+% utility rates are pretty standard for newbies. But to each their own. Oh, and Consultants also love to hire public sector people with a few years experience (and pay them pretty well)...it definitely helps having seen things from both sides.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Transpo-Planner
    Any reason why you're focusing on consultant firms? Public sector jobs don't pay ALL that much less and you really can make a difference...plus it's as stressfull. I've worked both sides and enjoyed both, but I think I'm public sector to stay. One thing I got sick of in private consulting is UTILITY rate and billability. You sure as hell don't want to be billing your time to the company, you need to have projects (i.e., Clients) to bill to. 92+% utility rates are pretty standard for newbies. But to each their own. Oh, and Consultants also love to hire public sector people with a few years experience (and pay them pretty well)...it definitely helps having seen things from both sides.
    That is going to be something that will be difficult for me. My public sector job pays more than many private sector jobs.

I just hope that when I make the jump to private sector, that I will not take a take home hit. I know that it will be unlikely to find a private sector job that will have insurance program as good as I have here, but my current position is dead end. There is nowhere to move up because everyone is staying here for a while.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2005
    My first planning job was with a consulting firm. I had several internships, so I had a bit of experience. I started at $45,000 - but that was in New Jersey.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In southern New England I would say anywhere between $32,500 and $42,500, depending on the firm.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Private sector salaries?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 15 Sep 2013, 9:32 PM
  2. Salaries do not seem that bad.
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 31 Jan 2007, 12:59 AM
  3. Consulting salaries
    Student Commons