Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Florida- Guns and Planning

Registered
    Jan 2005

Florida- Guns and Planning

In 2005, Florida passed S.B. 360 without much fanfare outside of planning circles. The new legislation puts teeth into the landmark 1975 Florida Local Government Comprehensive Planning Act, requiring local governments to demonstrate school and water concurrency and mandating financial feasibility studies for comp. plan amendments. It also provides specific guidelines for what must be included in Comp. Plans.

Florida has long been recognized for its progressive planning policies. The state is also a darling of the NRA with some of the most lenient gun control laws in the nation. Where else could there be broad public support for both guns and planning?
    Anyone else find Florida's eccentric politics interesting?

Giving the planning process teeth will become more and more popular in places with less and less space to sprawl-- as Florida is becoming. I think that's an issue that will cut across politics.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    This is interesting, one of my region's largest developers mentioned how much easier it was to do things in FLA then in our area. Guess we can call BS on him.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    This is interesting, one of my region's largest developers mentioned how much easier it was to do things in FLA then in our area. Guess we can call BS on him.
    He's probably right... but its easier because its possible to "pay to play" in Fl.- build infrastructure, donate school sites, etc. It has been said that the concurrency requirements don't so much discourage development as induce sprawl (credit to The One). So we have progressive-minded laws that produce questionable results
    Keep in mind though that the Florida system produces planning mandates for local governments rather than land use regulations. The requirements under the Florida system are clear to developers- submit a comp. plan amendment, DRI, etc. The onus is placed on compliance with local plans and land use regulations. The irony is that the supposedly top-down system leaves the actual planning to the local level.
    In other states (Mass. and California come to mind) the excessive regulatory environment produces uncertainty, which is what developers hate.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller
    He's probably right... but its easier because its possible to "pay to play" in Fl.- build infrastructure, donate school sites, etc. It has been said that the concurrency requirements don't so much discourage development as induce sprawl (credit to The One). So we have progressive-minded laws that produce questionable results
    Keep in mind though that the Florida system produces planning mandates for local governments rather than land use regulations. The requirements under the Florida system are clear to developers- submit a comp. plan amendment, DRI, etc. The onus is placed on compliance with local plans and land use regulations. The irony is that the supposedly top-down system leaves the actual planning to the local level.
    In other states (Mass. and California come to mind) the excessive regulatory environment produces uncertainty, which is what developers hate.

Not sure I 100% agree here. ALL development in California is pay-to-play, to a certain degree. There are mechanisms to overcome the "regulatory uncertainty" which comes, frankly, from intense political involvement of the citizenry, environmentalism, all caused by "excessive" population growth.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Planning in Florida
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 18 Aug 2010, 12:37 PM
  2. Florida and planning positions
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 04 Sep 2009, 11:57 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 23 May 2008, 7:27 PM