Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Interview for a job I don't want

Registered
    Jan 2006

Interview for a job I don't want

I am getting ready to graduate in May. I have begun sending out resumes (a little over 30). I recently received noticed that I would be contacted for a brief phone interview and mostly likely be considered for a formal interview. However, this would be one of my last choices for a job. I have been told by others that they think it is still worthwhile to go through this interview process for the experience. Is this an ethically unsound decision?

Do it absolutely. If they offer you the job and you don't want to take it, you can tell them that you've accepted another offer. If you do crap, you can get some good feedback on what they expect you to say in your future interviews.

Registered
    Feb 2003

reversal

Think of it this way… maybe they already know who they want (and it is not you), but they have to fill a requirement to interview three persons… thus, you all are just ‘mutually’ helping each other out by going through the motions… you’ll both be better off… they meet the requirement, you get the experience… no one is hurt…

it is just the bussiness (of planning), dont let it be personal... either way.

"practice makes perfect"

Good, or bad, luck (whichever you want). and you never know, you might end up wanting the job... never shut the door before you have to.
    Last edited by H; 30 Jan 2006 at 12:34 AM.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Nov 2005
    nothing unethical here. any interview is good practice for the next interview. unless they are requiring you to fly to mogadishu on your own dime. then it's probably not worth it.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Nothing unethical, employers do it all the time.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Echoing what the others have said, do the interview. It's good practice plus you might be surprised and it turn out to be a good job.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2006
    For someone just graduating, I don't see it as a problem. For someone more experienced and if it involves relocation and travel expenses, I would be bothered for someone going through the interview process 'just for kicks'.

Registered
    May 2005

Do it!

I'm actually in the same position right now and I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing this. I've got 4 offers or potential offers going right now, not all of which are of great interest to me, but it is excellent experience. One side benefit, incidentally, is a nice ego boost, the ensuing self-confidence of which can benefit you in an interview for a job you really DO want. No kidding - it makes a difference when you don't come off as too desperate.

Also, it can help in negotiating salary. "Joe Shmuck over at RTQ is willing to offer me $80k, but I would really like to work here. If there were only a way to level to playing field and offer me some more cashola..." Of course, I might do a lot of undesireable things for Joe at $80k, but that's a different story...

Having returned to planning school after a defeating job search of 6 months in my old career, I also think that retaining the possibility of your "last choice" is wise anyway.

Go for it!

Wade

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Go. At the very least it will be good experience doing interviews for jobs. Believe me, it is likely you will have at least a few before you get a job, and every interview, good or bad, gets you closer to the goal of getting your career started. I interviewed for a few jobs I didn't really want. In fact, I ended up taking one that was offered and got my planning career started.

You might consider taking a job, if offered, that is on the last of your list. You put in a year or two there and you get needed experience. That first job, even if it is not where you would "love" to work, can be a steppingstone for a better job down the line. Worked for me.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Gotta go with go. You'll get the experience, and you might find the job and people actaully interest you.

Plus, it might be the only offer you'll get. It'll be nice to have that in your back pocket should the worst occur.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Go. Do the interview and have fun with it. Wear a freaking tin foil hat and ask the interviewer where they were Novermber 22, 1963. Tell them long stories about how your cat lets you hear the voice of God. You know, have fun. You'll enjoy telling the stories to your coworkers at future jobs. Life is to short to not purposely dump one interivew in the crapper on purpose.

Registered
    Feb 2006

Interview, Interview, INTERVIEW!

You cannot get enough interviews...practice, practice, practice. The result can be some useful critiquing that will guide you better when you interview for the positions you're more interested in.

I gotta say this worked for me, big-time. I got some really good advice from my first few interviews in the 1990's. Who knew I had such horrible interviewing skills? I didn't. I would just be careful not to mislead the employer...take the interview, then be as honest as you can about your intentions.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Remember: Having an interview doesn't mean you are hired! So take as many interview opportunities as you can. Take them as learning experience. You may be more familiar with the questions they ask, more confident to answer them and more comfortable to talk to interviewers. Good luck~~
    Work hard, play hard.
    Listen carefully, see broadly.
    Good people, great environment, wonderful life.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be

looking for a job is like making pancakes

Remember how the first pancake is always messed up?
    Consider this your dry run. Do the interview as a warm-up for the real thing.
    I guarantee you'll learn alot from it ("why did I say that?") and put those lessons to use for the next interview for a job you do care about.
    But you don't have to worry about messing this one up, it's your dry run, dress rehearsal, first pancake sacrafice to the planning gods.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Do you think interviewing for a job, and not getting it hurts your chances of getting a job with that firm in the future?

For example, say the applicant is not the most qualified person at that point in time, but comes back latter with a masters and their AICP.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The interview you'd like to have...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 22 Jul 2009, 1:20 PM
  2. Interview for job I may not want
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 10 Oct 2007, 3:12 PM
  3. Replies: 9