Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where were you when you when the water broke?

Registered
    Jun 2004

Where were you when you when the water broke?

I am on the short end of a pregnancy, my life partner (Mrs. Big Owl loves it when I refer to her as that) not mine. The waiting is killing me. This is our first biological child, our first child who we are in the process of adopting, was easy. The social worker called and said I have a 4 year old female are you interested? We said yes and she brought her over the next day at 2:00 PM. I am making a cogitative effort to stay near the phone and limit my time where I get no cell phone coverage.

Where you when you or your significant other (exs included) went into labor?

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    In the hospital both times, the first time the Dr.'s broke it, the second time it broke on its own when I was in the hospital bed after being induced...
    I used to wish it had broken on its own but have heard so many crazy stories that I am glad I don't have any embarrassing water breaking stories

We had just seen the "water breaking" movie in our birthing class the night before. We were 5 weeks out from due date. I had a mandatory meeting with consultants preparing to submit a proposal on our comp plan re-write. Mrs. G called and said "I was in the drive-thru at burger king and I think my water broke". I recalled the movie where it seemed like a niagara falls type thing and asked "whadda ya mean, you think it broke?" She went to the hospital and I rushed over there (after the comp plan meeting ) and as I was entering her room an older nurse announced "You are going to be a dad today!" It was the only time I thought I might pass out.

Fourteen hours later little 'dunker number one arrived looking like he'd gone 12 rounds with muhammad ali. They hauled him off to the children's hospital for an 11-day visit before he came home with us. He'll be nine four weeks from tomorrow.

'dunker number two was induced, so the water broke at the hospital. They handed her to me after they cleaned her up and she promptly peed on me. Marking her territory, so to speak.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Nov 2002

Working Out

I was in the living room working out on the Nordictrack (aaah, yes, before the water broke I actually used to exercise!) when her water broke. She was, well, in a convenient place to have something like that occur.

It was the day before we were going in to have labor induced, so we were pretty much ready for it. I never did finish that workout, though.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I had been in labor for two full days and was staying in town at my moms cause we were 30 minutes from the hospital. I had been up and down all night, luckily for my mom I was up at the time and sat down on a kitchen chair. All I could think of was, get me to the hospital it will be over soon.

A word of caution for those who have there water break. Please go to the hospital right away, please make sure that the Dr's don't let you go to long without having the baby. My husband and his first wife's first child died as a result of a staff infection from being left to long after the water was broke. There is a simple test that can be done to detect the problem. King B worked to make it mandatory testing here in Kansas. It just tears him up that they lost a baby because they didn't do a $13.00 test.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Rock climbing in Marquette County. The water bottle sipped out of it's holder and fell 120 feet before breaking on the rocks below.

OH... the birth type... never mind.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I was in bed reading, Planner Groupie was on the couch downstairs.....she yelled, and 15 mins later we were on the way to the hospital.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hmm.... I was inside, for the few moments that remained before going out to the outside world.. and they had to screw up my before lunch nap... Funny thing is that I was almost already out when the doc got there... and he got paid for that.... talk about rip off...

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Rock climbing in Marquette County. The water bottle sipped out of it's holder and fell 120 feet before breaking on the rocks below.

OH... the birth type... never mind.
    LOL, that might be the funniest thing I have heard all morning!! Thanks, I needed the laugh, rough Monday morning around here!!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    My wife induced, so we were in the hospital, day two.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2002
    It was the day before my due date, hubby was working (remember he has a 24 hour shift). I go to bed like normal, and wake up about 2am because my water had broken. No contractions or anything. Hubby still at work, I called the hospital and they said to try to sleep since that is all they would have me do there. I didn't even call him because I knew he wouldn't sleep and be all wound up.

Hubby gets home at 7:30am and we get ready to go. I asked to go to Big Apple Bagel first for coffee and a bagel since I knew they wouldn't let me eat. Then we head to the hospital. I called work from the car saying my water had broke, I was at BAB and on the way to the hospital.

Well, apparently they thought my water had broken IN the shop, and that's what went around City Hall.

Quote Originally posted by Queen B
    A word of caution for those who have there water break. Please go to the hospital right away, please make sure that the Dr's don't let you go to long without having the baby. My husband and his first wife's first child died as a result of a staff infection from being left to long after the water was broke. There is a simple test that can be done to detect the problem. King B worked to make it mandatory testing here in Kansas. It just tears him up that they lost a baby because they didn't do a $13.00 test.
    That is so sad! Shorly after I got to the hospital they put my on pitocin because I still hadn't had any contractions, even though it had only been 8 hours. I ended up having an emergency c-section and she was born at 11:58. Two minutes before the end of her due date!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Congrats Owl! Ms.P was at the hospital and the doctor broke it - then commented "that should have broken on its own by now"
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I had been in labor for about 18 hours when the doctor popped it; I had been on pitocin for a few hours and nothing was happening. Son was born by emergency c-section four hours later.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    baby #1 - water broke in a restaurant the day before my due date - we were having our "Last Supper pre-kids" in Harvard Square in Cambridge - sigh...

baby #2 - water broke the day before my due date in my sleep

baby #3 - delivered scheduled c-section a week before the due date (but I was contracting anyway)

thread alert: everyone in here should spare you birthing stories until after you deliver, then we can swap stories and irritate the guys in here and women who haven't had a baby yet - lol/smirk

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Note to self: don't look at this thread again or be prepared to lose lunch.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Related and OT -

Birth/Delivery is a required section when you are studying to become either an EMT-B and EMT-P.

Four yrs as EMT-B never joined the stork club.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Never went through that: the doctor had to break it both times.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    No water breaking here. The wife had a planned C-section. I heard the doctor say "I see four feet" and I knew things were changed forever

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon
    No water breaking here. The wife had a planned C-section. I heard the doctor say "I see four feet" and I knew things were changed forever
    I can imagine... having a child with 4 feet must be a hard thing to cope with... oh wait... you mean you had twins right?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I was induced so they broke it in the hospital. Baby (now 12 years old!) was born on her due date

Congratulations and I hope it's an uncomplicated birth (a woman knows better than to say easy)!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Just setting the scene - Mrs Rem had the babies.

For our first I was just about to give a presentation to a group of Chief Town Planners (that's what they used to get called over here) - I was nervous and not wanting to do it - saved by the bell with minutes to go.

The other two, I was at home.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Oh I love stories from the trenches of pregnancy.

My first child we were at the hospital when it broke, it felt like something inside just unzipped!

Our second child was in a bit of a hurry and my water broke in triage and I about had her minutes later on the gurney in the hallway much to the horror of people walking by in the hall, a little unnerved by my er, vocalizations...

Registered
    Aug 2001

trying to remember

Home, all three times.

1st time: If I recall, my wife and I were watching Charlie's Angels (the movie, not the reruns) after a few rough days of positional labor when her water finally broke.

2nd time: I was in the kitchen boiling water (isn't that what men are supposed to be doing during labor) when my wife's water broke. Much easier clean up since she was in the birth tub at the time.

3rd time: I was in the bedroom fiddling with the computer while she was taking a shower. Once again, easier cleanup.

The births themselves are much easier to remember than the water breaking. One was difficult, one was lightning fast, and the third was excruciatingly slow.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    I was in bed reading, Planner Groupie was on the couch downstairs.....she yelled, and 15 mins later we were on the way to the hospital.
    In my defense, I felt miserable all day and wanted to sleep. Someone had to play video games in the other room instead of letting me sleep in peace on the sofa that barely fit my huge belly.

Laying on the sofa trying to get some sleep, rolled over and felt a water balloon bursting. Ran upstairs in terror. Next time, I'm taking a shower!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    For me, I was at home in bed speaking on the telephone to my cousin when my water broke. I hung up with my cousin and tried calling my husband. He finally answered the phone after about the 4th call and said that he would call me back. I then had to call him back to tell him that I was in labor. He was so excited/anxious that he literally left all of his camera gear at a store and ran out the door. I don't know what this next one will do. Congrats to you guys Owl family.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. What does a city do when it is broke?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 21 Jul 2012, 10:26 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Feb 2012, 4:33 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 09 Mar 2011, 2:38 PM
  4. Housing bubble broke?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 09 Nov 2006, 8:33 PM