Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: I have been accepted

Registered
    Apr 2005

I have been accepted

Since February will be rolling around any day, I figure that we might as well start our acceptance list. Post where you have gotten accepted, and your fellow applicants can congratulate you and ask you questions.

I was accepted at Wayne State on January 27, and Ohio State on January 5. No financial aid decision for either application at the moment.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    congrats...

wow, january 5th. i don't expect to get anything for at least another month. good for you.

Registered
    Apr 2005

Osu

Quote Originally posted by The District
    congrats...

wow, january 5th. i don't expect to get anything for at least another month. good for you.
    To be fair I got in quickly due to the fact that I did an MA in History at OSU. Hence, they pretty much admitted me with no review.

I wish that this was the case for every application.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    i just received my acceptance letter today from uw-milwaukee!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Congratulations Peter & jbr!

I got my acceptance letter to Ball State today! Woooohoooo!
    No info on financial aid yet.
    Last edited by kjel; 30 Jan 2006 at 8:40 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I have been accepted to Wayne State, Arizona State, and Univ. of Cincinnati. I am also waiting for UW-Milwaukee and UW-Madison.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Do all these places do rolling admissions? I was told the earliest I could expect to hear from anywhere was mid to late March. Some places' application deadlines haven't even passed yet. Argh.

Congrats to all of you!!

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by fructa
    Do all these places do rolling admissions? I was told the earliest I could expect to hear from anywhere was mid to late March. Some places' application deadlines haven't even passed yet. Argh.

Congrats to all of you!!
    uwm's application deadline was jan 1st. i really had to hustle to get everything in by then.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by fructa
    Do all these places do rolling admissions?
    I think that many places are one part rolling and one part fixed. The early fixed deadline usually is for merit based financial aid purposes and most programs still accept applications beyond that point but they aren't considered for merit-based financial aid.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Congrats to everyone who has got an acceptance so far
    Last edited by shishi; 31 Jan 2006 at 11:24 AM.

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by shishi
    Congrats to everyone who has got an accpetance so far
    OSU accepts (or denies) everyone who applies within about six weeks or so. That don't go on the traditional schedule. I am in there as well.

Best of luck to everyone as well. When do you folks expect to hear back from most places?? I am guessing the mid/late March, early/mid April time frame. That feels like a looooong time!

Registered
    Apr 2005

Accepted at University of Illinois-Chicago

Quote Originally posted by timbucktwo
    OSU accepts (or denies) everyone who applies within about six weeks or so. That don't go on the traditional schedule. I am in there as well.

Best of luck to everyone as well. When do you folks expect to hear back from most places?? I am guessing the mid/late March, early/mid April time frame. That feels like a looooong time!

I got a nice email today from the University of Illinois-Chicago accepting me into their MUPP program. I didn't expect to hear from them until some point in March, but I'll gladly take an acceptance early!

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Peter Bratt
    I got a nice email today from the University of Illinois-Chicago accepting me into their MUPP program. I didn't expect to hear from them until some point in March, but I'll gladly take an acceptance early!
    congratulations! they had an early deadline, didn't they?

accepting

I've noticed many of the acceptence letters request you to accept or give up your spot within three weeks. It is obviously very early in the admissions season so I'm assuming this is wishful thinking on behalf of admissions committees. I plan to call and let them know I won't be able to make a decision for some time, but I thought I'd also see if others had input as to whether or not they "really" mean it.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by lauren.amelia
    I've noticed many of the acceptence letters request you to accept or give up your spot within three weeks. It is obviously very early in the admissions season so I'm assuming this is wishful thinking on behalf of admissions committees. I plan to call and let them know I won't be able to make a decision for some time, but I thought I'd also see if others had input as to whether or not they "really" mean it.
    Yes, they do. If you don't hold your spot that letter then goes to the next person. They admit more then can attend and will send letters in waves, plus don't forget about the wait list.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Peter Bratt
    Congrats...that is my home town.

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    I'm not a big fan of waiting!

Registered
    Apr 2005

Uic

Quote Originally posted by jbr
    congratulations! they had an early deadline, didn't they?
    Thanks for the cheers. I sent my application to UIC on December 14, 2005, and received notification that it was processed on January 7. The deadline for full funding was January 1, 2006, which is why I sent it in December. Hopefully the other schools will be as quick, right?

Registered
    Dec 2004

Lse

I got into LSE, but that's for Regional Science.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I personally would like to be able to compare financial aid offers since they seem to take a bit longer to be decided than the admissions. Kind of like poking in the dark trying to come up with something........

Quote Originally posted by shishi
    Yes, they do. If you don't hold your spot that letter then goes to the next person. They admit more then can attend and will send letters in waves, plus don't forget about the wait list.
    Wow, so you are supposed to make a decision when you may not know for several weeks where else you got in or even what financial aid that school can offer?

Registered
    Jul 2005
    In my experience, you can negotiate with schools regarding their deadlines for acceptance. If you get a generous financial aid offer from one, ask for an extension--tell them you want to wait until you can visit and talk with faculty and/or that you're waiting to hear back from other schools. This bought me an extra three weeks--by then I had heard back from all but one of the six schools I applied to (and since I had applied to all of them at the same time, I figured I wasn't going to get a spectacular aid offer from the remaining school, although I was eventually accepted). Then, I would let the other schools you've been accepted to (at least the ones you're most considering) know about your situation and see how they respond. For me, the first school that offered me an assistantship ended up being the only one to offer me anything besides standard loans, and that's where I went. There's something to be said for a school making you their top priority right away.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by laura
    In my experience, you can negotiate with schools regarding their deadlines for acceptance. If you get a generous financial aid offer from one, ask for an extension--tell them you want to wait until you can visit and talk with faculty and/or that you're waiting to hear back from other schools. This bought me an extra three weeks--by then I had heard back from all but one of the six schools I applied to (and since I had applied to all of them at the same time, I figured I wasn't going to get a spectacular aid offer from the remaining school, although I was eventually accepted). Then, I would let the other schools you've been accepted to (at least the ones you're most considering) know about your situation and see how they respond. For me, the first school that offered me an assistantship ended up being the only one to offer me anything besides standard loans, and that's where I went. There's something to be said for a school making you their top priority right away.
    Take her advice, that is how to play the funding game.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Got accepted into Rutgers today...two down, three to hear about still!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek
    Got accepted into Rutgers today...two down, three to hear about still!
    Congrats!! When did you send your app in to them?

Closed thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 11 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 30 Apr 2009, 11:32 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Mar 2009, 2:22 PM
  3. Replies: 38
    Last post: 20 May 2008, 5:16 AM
  4. Got accepted today!
    Student Commons
    Replies: 5