Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The State of the Union… Your Response.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

The State of the Union… Your Response.

If willing to partake in a civilized discussion… What were your thoughts on the President’s State of the Union Address? What about the democratic response from the Governor of Virginia?

I would like to state one rule with this… (if Mod’s willing), to post, please list one thing that you liked, and one thing that you did not like.

Text link if you did not watch

(Edit)
    Can a Positive, Negative, or Neutral Poll be added?
    Last edited by michaelskis; 31 Jan 2006 at 10:53 PM.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    please list one thing that you liked....
    How about nothing?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I was pleased to hear that he wanted to boost research in zero-emission coal energy, nuclear energy, and hydrogen powered vehicles. He mentioned a non-petroleum based economy? maybe he got some new peak oil data.

I was sick and tired of the same rhetoric regarding the war and 9/11. I know, we got attacked, things chaged, we went to war.. stop trying to convince the dissenters, just finish the job and get out.

Watch Iran. That is a legit concern.

Social Security is not a retirement plan, it's an insurance plan. Yes, it needs modifications, every man made system does. I just dont think his last proposal was the proper way to insure society. I'll take investments on my own, I dont want ANY risk, no matter how small, with my insurance.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Apr 2003

Oh come on... work with me here.

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    How about nothing?
    Really? I was sure that there would be at least something that everyone would like. What was wrong with his ideas on alternative energy sources? Here he is billed as an “Oil Man” and now he is saying that the US needs to get away from its addiction to Oil.

Come on… put your partisan cap on the shelf for a moment.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Really? I was sure that there would be at least something that everyone would like. What was wrong with his ideas on alternative energy sources? Here he is billed as an “Oil Man” and now he is saying that the US needs to get away from its addiction to Oil.

Come on… put your partisan cap on the shelf for a moment.
    He's blowing smoke. All the tax incentives will go to big oil.

Bush's statements on America's dependence on oil makes him the foulest hypocrite on the face of the earth. His whole empire, his family's whole empire, was founded on oil. I can't believe people don't get that.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Good, my 401K is heavy into life-destroying sweet buttery oil and other depleteable dead dinosaur creams and sauces. Did I mention that the latest excessive Exxon profits were just money in my bank account? If not, please let me rub it in. I'm also looking for ways to leverage my investments against women, children, minorities, endangered species, the transgendered, and the handicapped. Oh, wait I own Halliburton too....Sweet!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Well if that is how you feel, that is how you feel. I just that that you would be a bit more open minded.

Personally, I thought that it was good, but not great.

I thought that the part on Iran was a little weak, and I thought that he could have talked more about tax cuts.

I do how ever think that the increase for Health Saving Plans, Insurance for Small Businesses that can move with a person when they change jobs, and calling for bipartisan cooperation in fixing the problem with Social Security.

I was shocked and impressed when he said that he wants America to become less dependant on oil, and encouraged the research for alternative energy.

Best part was the further requirements of education in math and science and the competitive initiative.

Here's Bush's speech in a nutshell:

blah blah blah 9/11 blah blah blah blah

Registered
    Dec 2003
    The bit about human/animal hybrids was amusing.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle
    The bit about human/animal hybrids was amusing.
    What kind of milage do they get?

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    What I liked: talking about Iran like we're going to war with them next, the fact that we need to continue to stay the course in Iraq, his case for terrorist surveillance, how the tax cuts have greatly helped the economy, his veto-line bill plan to stop special interests/pork, etc., his coninued calls for healthcare reform and tort reform, and basically everything else he said.

What I disliked: it wasn't long enough, wasn't as comprehensive as it could've been, and the dems didn't agree with Bush on social security reform.

EDIT:
    Oh, and the best part of the speech was when he said that he and Bill Clinton are two of his dad's favorite people.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    I'm also looking for ways to leverage my investments against women, children, minorities, endangered species, the transgendered, and the handicapped.
    You've figured out how to do this?! I've been trying for years, myself.

...and I thought that he could have talked more about tax cuts.

I was shocked and impressed when he said that he wants America to become less dependant on oil, and encouraged the research for alternative energy.
    Are you kidding? Why on earth would he talk more about tax cuts when its clear that your nation's treasury is almost insolvent?! Have you guys noticed how much your currency has slumped in the last two weeks alone?

As for the talk of being less dependent on oil, I'm afraid I share RJ's pessimism here. I'm not so cynical as to suggest that the funds won't be distributed properly (most will end up where they should: Universities), but I'd be very surprised if a useful amount of funding was provided. In that sense, yes, he is just blowing smoke. A paltry million here or million there will not help research progress.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Didn't watch. Never watch. Don't plan on reading about it. Do these speeches ever actually accomplish anything? (besides pre-empting normal programming?)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    Are you kidding? Why on earth would he talk more about tax cuts when its clear that your nation's treasury is almost insolvent?! Have you guys noticed how much your currency has slumped in the last two weeks alone?
    The US currency is still higher than Canada’s.

A balanced budget can be achieved with the elimination and restructuring of wasteful, failing, or repetitive programs.

On top of that, reduce some of the extra perks that the senators and congressmen get. There is no reason to have staff size that they have.

Think about all those in the APA who realized all the work that the American Planning Association was doing for China… Well the federal programs have similar programs.
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    As for the talk of being less dependent on oil, I'm afraid I share RJ's pessimism here. I'm not so cynical as to suggest that the funds won't be distributed properly (most will end up where they should: Universities), but I'd be very surprised if a useful amount of funding was provided. In that sense, yes, he is just blowing smoke. A paltry million here or million there will not help research progress.
    Would it be better if John Kerry or a Liberal had said it?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Once again a bunch of soundbites, why does every president's speach in the last 20 years sound like a poorly spun version of Reagan's speeches?

President Bush is facing a very low approval rating, and this speech shows that he is desperate. It also showed that partisanship is still controlling much of what gets done in D.C. (happens here in Michigan too).
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I would be curious to know how much follow through there is in what he promises every year at the State of the Union.

I wonder if anyone has tracked what Bush has promised and what has been accomplished - or even acted on.

My guess most of what is said is just posturing.

What happen to all the financial aid for Africa that Bush promised. That was two years ago.
    Satan in the Suburbs

Registered
    May 2002
    I listened to about 20 minutes, so I am not a perfect judge of the entire speech. However, all heard boiled down to these two points:

1. Stop bugging me about why we entered Iraq (agreed)
    2. Look out Iran (bad juju)
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bertrand
    I would be curious to know how much follow through there is in what he promises every year at the State of the Union.

I wonder if anyone has tracked what Bush has promised and what has been accomplished - or even acted on.

My guess most of what is said is just posturing.

What happen to all the financial aid for Africa that Bush promised. That was two years ago.
    You can say this about any president's speech. The crux of the issue is the president is not the supreme ruler of the united states. He shares his vision and congress decides what gets legislated.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    You can say this about any president's speech. The crux of the issue is the president is not the supreme ruler of the united states. He shares his vision and congress decides what gets legislated.

Yes, but when the President and the the Congress are controlled by the same party... you would think more would get done.
    Satan in the Suburbs

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bertrand
    Yes, but when the President and the the Congress are controlled by the same party... you would think more would get done.

Just shows that the republican party is highly fragmented these days. Sometimes I wonder if we should institute a voting proceedure now that we have the technology that allows all registered voters to have more of a say than the parties or the lobbiests. Yes less of a republic, more of a democracy.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Watched Dirty Jobs instead. Went to bed. Nothing new from what I heard on the news this morning. Although, from what I heard, you would think he wasn't a second term pres....I was thinking there'd be less talk about bipartisanship, since it won't gain him anything for future elections....
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Didn't watch. Never watch. Don't plan on reading about it. Do these speeches ever actually accomplish anything? (besides pre-empting normal programming?)
    I used to watch them, but I kind of agree here. If they just read the speech without applause lines, it would take 5 minutes.

I'll get the highlights from the news, radio and internet. I think I got most of them from reading this thread.

To me, the man just does not seem sincere. I didn't hear one word or phrase that made me think "he is saying this from the heart", instead, it seemed he was reading somebody else's words.

Liked: alternative energies, but I'll believe it when I see it.
    Disliked: dragging out the bloody shirt again and again ad infinitum, ad nauseum.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Liked: Pissed off looks from Louisiana elected officials
    Disliked: Mentioned nothing about supporting the Gulf Coast region's rebuilding efforts
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Closed thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 99
    Last post: 22 Dec 2012, 11:27 PM
  2. The State of the Union Show
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 27 Jan 2011, 7:26 PM
  3. Fun with State of The Union Address
    Friday Afternoon Club