Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The State of the Union… Your Response.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    Watched Dirty Jobs instead. Went to bed. Nothing new from what I heard on the news this morning. Although, from what I heard, you would think he wasn't a second term pres....I was thinking there'd be less talk about bipartisanship, since it won't gain him anything for future elections....

where was the guy at on Dirty Jobs? I never watch the State of the Union, the State of the State or the State of the City speeches.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    Liked: Pissed off looks from Louisiana elected officials
    Disliked: Mentioned nothing about supporting the Gulf Coast region's rebuilding efforts
    And here I, along with the full transcript avalible HERE, thought that he did talk about it.
    A hopeful society comes to the aid of fellow citizens in times of suffering and emergency -- and stays at it until they are back on their feet.

So far the federal government has committed $85 billion to the people of the Gulf Coast and New Orleans. We are removing debris, repairing highways, and building stronger levees. We are providing business loans and housing assistance.

Yet as we meet these immediate needs, we must also address deeper challenges that existed before the storm arrived. In New Orleans and in other places, many of our fellow citizens have felt excluded from the promise of our country.

The answer is not only temporary relief, but schools that teach every child and job skills that bring upward mobility and more opportunities to own a home and start a business.

As we recover from a disaster, let us also work for the day when all Americans are protected by justice, equal in hope, and rich in opportunity.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Didn't watch. Never watch. Don't plan on reading about it. Do these speeches ever actually accomplish anything? (besides pre-empting normal programming?)
    Same here... I'm not that interested in hearing some foreign president's speach and getting applauses every 5 seconds. My guess is that he made bland promises that as usual, will never keep. Maybe I'll hear him when he starts WWIII against Iran, Iraq, and whatever other country that has oil. I won't waste my time hearing him say that he needs to be world police.

I also never see our president's congressional speech here... if you hear it once, you heard it all. I can even know what the politicians will say afterwards to the press, after they slept through all of it.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    And here I, along with the full transcript avalible HERE, thought that he did talk about it.
    As far as I'm concerned, that was nothing but empty talk.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The US currency is still higher than Canada’s.
    This just proves my point. You've no idea what is happening to your economy. The world is watching, mouths agape. The US dollar has been losing a half cent a day relative to the CDN dollar for going on two weeks, with similar devaluations relative to the Euro and GDP.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    To me, the man just does not seem sincere. I didn't hear one word or phrase that made me think "he is saying this from the heart", instead, it seemed he was reading somebody else's words.
    [/I].

I'm with you right there. What I thought was interesting was that he got half-standing ovations after every half sentence. One side of the aisle was standing / clapping, while the other sat there. Some of the best shots, Hillary with a smirk and shaking her head; GWB smirking during each ovation - at one point it looked like he smiled at someone in the first row (Condi maybe?) with a look that said 'you were right about adding that into the speech' then getting serious when he started talking again. Some of the candid out shots were the best.

Let's see if there are results or just rederict.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    It seems like it was just like every other state ofthe union address. Boring, unfullfilling and far from promising. What I liked about it is that Irad the transpcript and didn't have to spend the time watching it. What I didn't like: everything else. One thing that came to mind, have we accomplished anything, in terms of future action, that has ever been in a state of the union address? I seem to remeber GWB social security plan getting a lot of attention (was that just last year?) but quickly was forgotten about. If there is ever significant funding for alternative fuel research, then I will give him credit for at least agreeing that something other than oil drilling is required.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    To me, the man just does not seem sincere. I didn't hear one word or phrase that made me think "he is saying this from the heart", instead, it seemed he was reading somebody else's words.
    Well, duh! Of course they were someone else's words! If they were actually his words they truly would have needed an hour for him to choke it out - without the applause.
    Hell, it would have sounded something like.....
    Quote Originally posted by dubya
    Thanks to you everybody. We are having, it seems or we have had, rather, a number of disasterous happenings on us in a short time. Katrina was a disaster occurance of the worst sort and we are hoping to see the recovery due to the efforts of great organizations and people and rebuilding. Terrorists are still not getting to do their evil on our doorstep because elections and democracy have been brought to the good peoples of the middle east. The economy is strong. Education is stronger than before and learning and teaching are on the horizon for improvement. I wish to assure that all Americans should know that the electronic surveillance of Americans...of Alqaida... is very necessary and are an important tools in the fight against evil and those who do...would do...to harm democracy. September 11 was a dark day in our history and we will not rest until we do justice...are having justice done now in our advances on the war on terror....."
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    so one paragraph in a 12 page speech? what about LEVEES? COASTAL RESTORATION? a storm managment system? affordable housing? economic redevelopment?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Well, duh! Of course they were someone else's words! If they were actually his words they truly would have needed an hour for him to choke it out - without the applause.
    Hell, it would have sounded something like.....
    Originally posted by dubya
    Thanks to you everybody. We are having, it seems or we have had, rather, a number of disasterous happenings on us in a short time. Katrina was a disaster occurance of the worst sort and we are hoping to see the recovery due to the efforts of great organizations and people and rebuilding. Terrorists are still not getting to do their evil on our doorstep because elections and democracy have been brought to the good peoples of the middle east. The economy is strong. Education is stronger than before and learning and teaching are on the horizon for improvement. I wish to assure that all Americans should know that the electronic surveillance of Americans...of Alqaida... is very necessary and are an important tools in the fight against evil and those who do...would do...to harm democracy. September 11 was a dark day in our history and we will not rest until we do justice...are having justice done now in our advances on the war on terror....."

Wonderful. You just about nailed it right on the head, only thing is you only mentioned 9/11 once. Dubya would have mentioned it every other sentence Still, you could write for Dubya.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    This just proves my point. You've no idea what is happening to your economy. The world is watching, mouths agape. The US dollar has been losing a half cent a day relative to the CDN dollar for going on two weeks, with similar devaluations relative to the Euro and GDP.
    Go back a bit further. While it is true that the US dollar has not recovered since 9/11/01 the lowest point (compared to the Canadian Dollar) was just before he was re-elected in 2004.

The Canadian dollar is the only one that has consistently out performed the US dollar. The rest of them have had noticeable fluctuations both up and down.

I am not sure where your getting your data, but since 2003, unemployment rates have continued to drop, payroll amounts have increased, hourly earnings have increased, buying power (other than energy costs) are better than in the Clinton Administration, production costs (other than with energy costs) are decreasing, benefits are better than in the Clinton Administration, and non-farm productivity is at an all time high.

Your right, our economy is crashing, oh God help us all!

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol
    so one paragraph in a 12 page speech? what about LEVEES? COASTAL RESTORATION? a storm managment system? affordable housing? economic redevelopment?
    There was still a lot that was not talked about. Most of the stuff that was discussed was new stuff, and a call for cooperation for defense and national security.

Registered
    May 2003

There's No There, There

Didn't listen but got the gist of it by listing to a summary on the BBC in the company of a couple of pints at one of my favorite pubs.

Apparently there was no or little disucussion of illegal immigration despite all of the security talk about the "war on terror." I find it hypocritical that Condi Rice waxes on about the need to "close the border between Iraq and Syria" while our own borders remain porous...and vulnerable.

Not to single out the presdient, either. We're at a "lapsed plateau of leadership" and the Democrats are are equally bereft.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    These speeches are always so worthless that its hard to find good in them regardless of the President. I'll try to be even with it since that is what Mskis was originally after, despite my disdain for the Bush Administration.

State of the Union

He put more weight behind support for alternative energy than he has in any of the past State speeches. I view this as a very small positive step. Nothing to get too excited about though and I really don't expect any action.

Though I don't agree with the Iraq war and would like us out ASAP, I have to agree that the constant second-guessing has gotten old and maybe a little out of line. Democrats approved the war, too. Everyone was duped. While Bush may have told the intelligence folks what he was after, they didn't just make-up the information. They just botched their investigation. Why no one (besides Bush) has really been called on the carpet for this is beyond me.

I agree with Planderella, I liked watching the LA folks gettin' all pissy. He didn't discuss the rebuilding efforts there nearly as much as he should have (see my complaint below about lack of domestic issue discussion).

Dislikes:
    Like all State of the Union speeches, there was a lot of talking with nothing ever being said. That is par for the course though.

Iran needed more discussion, even if it was just discussion of the dangers of proliferation and investigative processes to follow with them since we don't know much at this point. Iran, quite frankly, scares the sh*t out of me.

Stop milking 9/11. You can't use that as the reason for everything.

Tax cuts are not the solution to all of societies problems. Quite making it sound like they are. Hey, have you ever thought about... oh, I don't know... maybe paying down the debt or balancing the budget??? Just a suggestion...

Too much emphasis on foreign policy compared to domestic.

Crying in his Cheerios about his SS plan getting rejected. Get over it. Get yourself an advisory committee from both parties to sit down with you over some beers every Tuesday night and come up with something *gulp* bipartisan. You came up with your plan basically in a vacuum, and you wonder why it failed? Also, stop calling SS a "retirement plan". In fact, the same goes for the Patriot Act.

No real talk of the disfunctional Homeland Security Department.

Federal executive line-item power concerns me. While it could be great for eliminating stupid expenditures, I'm not sure I trust a single politician with it without a check or balance to that authority. That is regardless of party affiliation. The one good thing about him discussing it is that it shows some fleeting interest in trying to get spending under control, a trait he has yet to demostrate.

Minority Response:

I won't break this one down. This party has no leadership, no vision, and, quite frankly, no future at the rate they are going. For someone like me that wants so desperately to have a quality alternative, the Democratic Party disappoints. I think even the most hardcore Republicans will tell you that this country needs at least one quality competing party (I'd like 3 or 4, personally) with strong identity and ideas to foster good policy-making.
    Last edited by Suburb Repairman; 01 Feb 2006 at 3:14 PM.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop
    Wonderful. You just about nailed it right on the head, only thing is you only mentioned 9/11 once. Dubya would have mentioned it every other sentence Still, you could write for Dubya.
    Was and still are intending to send...to submit my application for writing speeches that are extemporaneus and that will be given to.... by George W. Bush, the President. In addition I will be sending the application with the Jerry Springer application. For writing for the Jerry Springer show and for George W. Bush applications. Thank you.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    These speeches are always so worthless that its hard to find good in them regardless of the President. I'll try to be even with it since that is what Mskis was originally after, despite my disdain for the Bush Administration.
    Thank you for being civilized enough to do so! I respect and agree with some of your comments in both groups.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    And I was so proud of our work, I even had nice things to say about my friend, Ted Kennedy. (Laughter and applause.) I know the folks at the Crawford coffee shop couldn't believe I'd say such a thing...

Do you think tired Ted Kennedy jokes will ever cease - even after he dies?

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I don't listen to anything that monkey-faced lying murdering criminal says. Am I on the spy list yet?

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB
    I don't listen to anything that monkey-faced lying murdering criminal says. Am I on the spy list yet?
    If you were not before...you are now. Oops hold on a second

Good Afternoon Plan-it we would like to speak to you about the threat you made against....
    Eeeerrr...gotta go!
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Didn't watch. COULDN'T watch-just too painful. I did catch portions on the radio.

I couldn't listen to The Clenis emote drawlingly, either.

This is funny, from Limited, Inc.:
    So the president followed his bliss last night. I missed it. I no longer have the stomach to watch Bush go the nine rounds with the English language. The English language has the odds, the weight, and the experience, while the President takes the body blows and collapses at the end. What was once funny is now the kind of thing that some society to prevent cruelty to the animals should surely look into.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    How about nothing?
    Well, I liked it when they panned to Hillary and she had a "give me a %$*%^ break" look on her face while she clapped. That was a good part.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    May 2004
    I didn't watch. Why should I? Generally everything coming out of that man's mouth is only lip-service.

Where the heck was Wheel of Fortune last night?

The fact that he put Iran on notice was good. Supporting those who want change in Iran helps weaken the Clerical leadership. Getting the rest of the world to support that mindframe helps as well. I think the majority of the EU is in agreement that Iran with a nuke weapon is NOT a good thing.

Dislikes
    Didn't like the winks he seemed to be giving people when he was recognizing the dead soldier's family. Thought it was inappropriate.

As far as the rhetoric that was given, it would have mattered not if it was a Dem or another Republican up there speaking. The split in this country between the left and the right has bogged us into a national quagmire. It made good background noise however.
    Forechecking is overrated.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    Minority Response:
    I won't break this one down. This party has no leadership, no vision, and, quite frankly, no future at the rate they are going. For someone like me that wants so desperately to have a quality alternative, the Democratic Party disappoints. I think even the most hardcore Republicans will tell you that this country needs at least one quality competing party (I'd like 3 or 4, personally) with strong identity and ideas to foster good policy-making.
    This is why I will NOT be renewing my voters registration as a Dem.

My take on it? I was at the Avalanche game, drinking a beer and a whiskey. I was spending quality time with my folks and had my arm around my girl.
    Regardless of who is in office, whether it is someone I support or not, I typically do not watch these speeches. So I guess that was really no take at all...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Didn't watch. COULDN'T watch-just too painful. I did catch portions on the radio.
    (SNIP)
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner
    I didn't watch. Why should I? Generally everything coming out of that man's mouth is only lip-service.
    Wow... It must suck for you that he was elected and still is President, and all you do is whine about it instead of having a civil conversation about a speech in this thread. More so, some of what he talked about are programs started by Democrats as well as Republicans. Are those programs now tainted because he mentioned them in a speech?
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    My take on it? I was at the Avalanche game, drinking a beer and a whiskey. I was spending quality time with my folks and had my arm around my girl.
    Regardless of who is in office, whether it is someone I support or not, I typically do not watch these speeches. So I guess that was really no take at all...
    Now that is a great answer!

Registered
    May 2003
    Same speech. Different year.

"Be afraid. Let me do what I want because you are afraid."

Closed thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 99
    Last post: 22 Dec 2012, 11:27 PM
  2. The State of the Union Show