Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: The State of the Union… Your Response.

Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    This just proves my point. You've no idea what is happening to your economy. The world is watching, mouths agape. The US dollar has been losing a half cent a day relative to the CDN dollar for going on two weeks, with similar devaluations relative to the Euro and GDP.
    Off-topic:
    Nah the Euro's been doing crap. The Canadian Dollar is doing well thanks to the boom in natural resources and likely also the election of the Conservatives.

The real news is that gold has launched off into the stratosphere: http://www.kitco.com/charts/popup/au0365nyb.html

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    Watched Dirty Jobs instead. Went to bed. Nothing new from what I heard on the news this morning. Although, from what I heard, you would think he wasn't a second term pres....I was thinking there'd be less talk about bipartisanship, since it won't gain him anything for future elections....
    But he will. If Congress become majority Democrat, you can bet there will be all kinds of investigations into the activities of the Bush administration. There could even be an impeachment. He needs to retain a Republican congress to continue governing the way he has.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I would like to state one rule with this… (if Mod’s willing), to post, please list one thing that you liked, and one thing that you did not like.
    One thing I liked: Getting divorced means never again having to watch another state of the union address against my will.

One thing I disliked: Can't think of a thing.

MZ, still not in love with politics.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    One thing I liked: Getting divorced means never again having to watch another state of the union address against my will.
    Good answer.

Presidential speeches are just another form of mental torture....

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Good answer.

Presidential speeches are just another form of mental torture....
    Don't get me started....

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Don't get me started....
    Got into a heated debate with a fellow employee who accused me of being a "bad citizen" when I admitted I had little interest in listening to an hour of platitudes, vague promises, and references to 9-11.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Got into a heated debate with a fellow employee who accused me of being a "bad citizen" when I admitted I had little interest in listening to an hour of platitudes, vague promises, and references to 9-11.
    I could never escape the endless stream of "Hannity and Colmes" and similar fair. I find it very stressful to hear so much ugly arguing constantly. My husband loves the stuff. My next husband is going to be a man who says things like "It's not worth fighting about honey."

Er, sorry -- didn't mean to start a tangent.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Would it be better if John Kerry or a Liberal had said it?
    This comment really annoyed me but I chose to not deal with it immediately so I could cool off. Let me first say that you are completely crossing the line here.

And no, it would not be better or worse or different no matter who had said it. The habit of all politicians is to announce something and then NOT FUND IT and this has nothing to do with party lines - unfortunate news indeed for your tidy marginalization of views.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    This comment really annoyed me but I chose to not deal with it immediately so I could cool off. Let me first say that you are completely crossing the line here.

And no, it would not be better or worse or different no matter who had said it. The habit of all politicians is to announce something and then NOT FUND IT and this has nothing to do with party lines - unfortunate news indeed for your tidy marginalization of views.
    Oh WAAH (crying type sound) Personally, I don’t care that it annoys you one bit. Even if it does annoy you, there are so many people stand the party line, that it does not matter what is proposed, they don’t like it because a member of their party did not say it. At least one program that he commented on was something that was created by a democrat. OH but that is going to go down in flames now since Bush mentioned it in a speech.

There is no reason to mention any of it if they don’t plan on funding it, at least at that moment in time. Historically, the State of the Union has not influenced approval ratings. This is more of an opportunity to tell Americans where we are, and where he wants to see this county go. Additionally, there have been many times that a president, on both sides, has come up with a great idea, but it was denied funding by congress.

I say that if anyone has any great ideas on the creation of specific programs that are better than what is being offered right now, get up off your butt and either run for office, or contract your representatives and share your ideas. Whining about them on a planning forum board is not going to do anything for your cause.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

One thing I disliked: Can't think of a thing.

MZ, still not in love with politics.
    This might have been my favorite response to this thread!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    My take on it? I was at the Avalanche game, drinking a beer and a whiskey. I was spending quality time with my folks and had my arm around my girl.
    Regardless of who is in office, whether it is someone I support or not, I typically do not watch these speeches. So I guess that was really no take at all...
    Yes, exactly. I have interest in politics but I usually don't get in heated debates; they don't go anywhere because most people are set on their views already and won't change them just because you start yelling obscenities and spitting a lot.

The reality is, at least so far, is that no matter who is president, life can be good. What's better than going to the game, having a drink, and being with your girl. Nothing, and so far no recent president has been able to change that.

Life is good.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I could never escape the endless stream of "Hannity and Colmes" and similar fair. I find it very stressful to hear so much ugly arguing constantly. My husband loves the stuff. My next husband is going to be a man who says things like "It's not worth fighting about honey."

Er, sorry -- didn't mean to start a tangent.
    Off-topic:
    Does Hannity and Colmes argue? I thought they just browbeat their liberal guests. Colmes exemplifies the modern Democratic Party, feeble, without ideas, without passion.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    I say that if anyone has any great ideas on the creation of specific programs that are better than what is being offered right now, get up off your butt and either run for office, or contract your representatives and share your ideas. Whining about them on a planning forum board is not going to do anything for your cause.
    So you assume that people are just complainers and just sit on their butt and don't come up with any solutions? Here is one solution to our energy crisis: require all new homes to install solar shingles on their roof and provide incentives for existing home owners to do it. 2800 square feet of solar shingles provides enough energy to power the average house. In many communities, there is enough sunshine that the shingles actually turn the power meter backwards, which indicates power is being added to the system. They utilize UV rays, which penetrate both clouds and pollution. SLC recently did a study about energy usage and determined that the total power generated by coal powered power plants for the City would be reduced by 78% if every home had solar shingles (that would put our energy consumption at 1940 levels). By the way, SLC has set a goal of reducing their green house emissions by several thousand tons (don't remember the exact amount, but it was someting like eliminating 80% of it) and to do it by 2012. They started in 2002 and they are already at 78% of the goal. What have I done? All of my lightbulbs in my house are compat flourescent, no more incandescent lights for me. I have a rain collection system for my yard that collects rain water from my roof. I use virtually no culinary water for outside watering and my bill does not change from winter to summer. I installd a 90% two stage furnace and my gas concumption has gone down by 35% over my old furnace. I havea tankless water heater. My roof has under 5 years left on it and you can bet that I am going with the solar shingles. Talk about acting locally and getting off of your butt and doing something, what has your community done?

Registered
    Apr 2003

Now that is a great example of action!

Quote Originally posted by cololi
    So you assume that people are just complainers and just sit on their butt and don't come up with any solutions? Here is one solution to our energy crisis: require all new homes to install solar shingles on their roof and provide incentives for existing home owners to do it. 2800 square feet of solar shingles provides enough energy to power the average house. In many communities, there is enough sunshine that the shingles actually turn the power meter backwards, which indicates power is being added to the system. They utilize UV rays, which penetrate both clouds and pollution. SLC recently did a study about energy usage and determined that the total power generated by coal powered power plants for the City would be reduced by 78% if every home had solar shingles (that would put our energy consumption at 1940 levels). By the way, SLC has set a goal of reducing their green house emissions by several thousand tons (don't remember the exact amount, but it was someting like eliminating 80% of it) and to do it by 2012. They started in 2002 and they are already at 78% of the goal. What have I done? All of my lightbulbs in my house are compat flourescent, no more incandescent lights for me. I have a rain collection system for my yard that collects rain water from my roof. I use virtually no culinary water for outside watering and my bill does not change from winter to summer. I installd a 90% two stage furnace and my gas concumption has gone down by 35% over my old furnace. I havea tankless water heater. My roof has under 5 years left on it and you can bet that I am going with the solar shingles. Talk about acting locally and getting off of your butt and doing something, what has your community done?
    You see... I think that is a great idea! Has your community done that? If so, can you send me a link to the text in the code so that we can suggest that here?
    Additionally, you should contact your representatives (state and fed) and let them know of your idea.

As for the Tax Credits, some are already in place, but I agree that we should have more! http://www.seia.org/solarnews.php?id=96

As for our community, I have been pushing to also have bike rack requirements for new businesses, and we have several bike trails. On top of that, we now require sidewalks for all new plats and many of our local collector, major, and minor thoroughfares have designated bike lanes. We also increased our landscaping requirements for parking lots to require landscaped islands with good side trees to reduce water run off and diminish the urban heat model. Finally, we have strict storm water run off programs to prevent contamination into the lakes and rivers.

Concerning local requirements for alternative energy. A new energy bill was adopted in 2005, but the day before it was to take effect, the Michigan Builders Association, took it to court, so now the bill is suspended until further notice.

Registered
    May 2004
    Oh WAAH (crying type sound) Personally, I don’t care that it annoys you one bit. Even if it does annoy you, there are so many people stand the party line, .

Wow. the irony

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Oh WAAH (crying type sound) Personally, I don’t care that it annoys you one bit. Even if it does annoy you, there are so many people stand the party line, that it does not matter what is proposed, they don’t like it because a member of their party did not say it. At least one program that he commented on was something that was created by a democrat. OH but that is going to go down in flames now since Bush mentioned it in a speech.

There is no reason to mention any of it if they don’t plan on funding it, at least at that moment in time. Historically, the State of the Union has not influenced approval ratings. This is more of an opportunity to tell Americans where we are, and where he wants to see this county go. Additionally, there have been many times that a president, on both sides, has come up with a great idea, but it was denied funding by congress.

You're a big blubbering vagina. This is all barely coherent. Why would a politician mention something and then not fund it? Are you stupid?

Moderator note:
    (NHPlanner)

abrowne suspended 24 hours for editing out a yellow card previously posted in this post, and for a personal attack.

Of course you're right about the state of the union not influencing people. ACTION and ACCOMPLISHMENT should influence, but we're still waiting on that bit aren't we. I'd be absolutely ecstatic if ANY President implemented reforms to reduce North American reliance on oil. But how old is that issue? Three, four decades? Has much of anything been done? Apart from bitterly fought efficiency gains from the auto industry or efficiencies forced by cost, not really.

Quote Originally posted by cololi
    Here is one solution to our energy crisis: require all new homes to install solar shingles on their roof and provide incentives for existing home owners to do it. 2800 square feet of solar shingles provides enough energy to power the average house.
    In a similar vein, or at least as a gentler starting step, simply require asphalt shingles to be white instead of black/dark. This should reduce urban heat island effect and also require less energy to cool the home in summer (though it might have negative winter implications).
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 02 Feb 2006 at 1:30 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    The habit of all politicians is to announce something and then NOT FUND IT and this has nothing to do with party lines - unfortunate news indeed for your tidy marginalization of views.
    You're a big blubbering vagina. This is all barely coherent. Why would a politician mention something and then not fund it? Are you stupid?
    Ummmm, no, you might want to read what you type. You have no idea how political budgets work, do you....

The President may want something to happen, but congress and the senate also need to approve the budget and spending appropriations. He can not just start a program and fund it without others giving their ok.

In most cases a city manager or mayor can not just go out and spend money how he sees fit, he needs council approval

ACTION and ACCOMPLISHMENT should influence, but we're still waiting on that bit aren't we. I'd be absolutely ecstatic if ANY President implemented reforms to reduce North American reliance on oil. But how old is that issue? Three, four decades? Has much of anything been done? Apart from bitterly fought efficiency gains from the auto industry or efficiencies forced by cost, not really.
    So stop being such a freaking cry baby about it and do something! Contact your political leaders, get involved, run for an office. You sitting here whining about does absolutely nothing to resolve the what you think is a problem. You have such a problem with politics get off your backside and take action, or stop Bi***ing about it!

Moderator note:
    (NHPlanner)

Yellow card originally posted in the abrowne post, reposted here for michaelskis. Don't get personal, or a suspension is in your future. Personal attacks are not tolerated.
    Last edited by michaelskis; 02 Feb 2006 at 1:42 PM.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Off-topic:
    Editing out your yellow card; that's creative!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Off-topic:
    Editing out your yellow card; that's creative!
    Off-topic:
    That's a new Cyburbia first.

Moderator note:
    Please keep this thread on-topic and away from attacking each other folks....otherwise the mods may vote to close it.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    Moderator note:
    Please keep this thread on-topic and away from attacking each other folks....otherwise the mods may vote to close it.
    I think that it should be closed. It went from what did you like and what did you not like about the State of the Union Speech into a bash Bush and the republicans thread.

I also agree that I went to far and I apologize for it.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Moderator note:
    Thread closed, since the OP agrees it has strayed far from the original intent.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Closed thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 99
    Last post: 22 Dec 2012, 11:27 PM
  2. The State of the Union Show
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 27 Jan 2011, 7:26 PM
  3. Fun with State of The Union Address
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5