Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Superbowl Ads and etc.

Superbowl Ads and etc.

I might as well be the one who starts this thread out. Which of the Superbowl ads were your favorites? Which ones did you hate? My favorite was the Fed Ex/Caveman ad.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

Your non football thoughts on the Super Bowl!

National anthem, half time, commercials, re-game, there is a lot to discuss that does not include any football. What are your thoughts on all of the above.
    There is no such thing as failure, only learning experiences. However, it is our choice to learn the lesson and change or not.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I didn't win anything in the football squares pool at work.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I heard from an extremely reliable source (my ol' man) that Superbowl Sunday has become "the next biggest eating holiday after Thanksgiving". Where does he come up with this stuff?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I thought that the National Anthem was pathetic, half time was a joke, and the commercials where not as good as in past years.

I did enjoy the Budweiser and Pizza Hut commercials!

Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I heard from an extremely reliable source (my ol' man) that Superbowl Sunday has become "the next biggest eating holiday after Thanksgiving". Where does he come up with this stuff?
    Off-topic:
    The night before thanksgiving is the biggest bar night of the year!
    There is no such thing as failure, only learning experiences. However, it is our choice to learn the lesson and change or not.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I wish they had just let Arethra do her thing and sing the National Anthem herself -

I laughed at most of the Bud Lite ads, I must admit, and the cellphone throwing scene

but the Pizza Hut ad was lame, dated, and overdone
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 06 Feb 2006 at 10:04 AM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    I also heard from an equally reliable source (I can't remember who) that more people call in sick the monday after than any other day of the year.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    The stadium card stunt/wave for Bud.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon
    I also heard from an equally reliable source (I can't remember who) that more people call in sick the monday after than any other day of the year.
    Yeah, well if you were following the Random thoughts thread then you know that it is only by the grace of God that I showed up to work today, as I have contracted the worst case of William McKinley's Disease that anyone has experienced in over 90 years!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Most of the Budweiser ones, the Fed Ex caveman one, and the "I work for a bunch of jackasses" one.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Liked the Budweiser ads and the one with the 'wardrobe malfunction' (was it 'go daddy.com'?)

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    The "streaker" was my favorite, followed by the "magic fridge" and the Micheloeb Ultra Amber "touch football" ad.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Yeah, well if you were following the Random thoughts thread then you know that it is only by the grace of God that I showed up to work today, as I have contracted the worst case of William McKinley's Disease that anyone has experienced in over 90 years!
    I saw that, surprised you're posting today. Mckinley died of the same disease Lincoln and Kennedy did

I would say that's quite accurate. My commute into work today was very quiet. Virtually no one on my bus and the trains were almost empty. Usually the Dunkin' Donuts kiosk at Government Center is jammed. Today the lines were quick and smooth.

Other than that, the commercials weren't all that terrific. The Sprint advert with the Benny Hill ripoff ending was the only one that even made me laugh. (But that's probably more to do with Benny Hill...)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I saw the same TV News story.

overeating/overdrinking are not my problem, it is something else.

Registered
    May 2002
    Here's my non-game related thoughts:

1. Wives continuing to ask, "What's going on?" gets very annoying by the end of the first quarter, requiring a stern, "If you care than watch the game."

2. The commercials have not been good since Janet Jackson's little stunt. This year was no exception. A few were funny or cute, but the shear genius of the monkey dancing on the barrel didn't come close to being equaled.

3. Super Bowl is the end of the National Eating Season, which starts with Thanksgiving.

4. The Rolling Stones are an embarassment to the entire rock genre, and if Aretha gets any bigger, they'll have to start housing her in her own stadium.
    What do you mean I can't plan? My SimCity has 200,000 people with a 99% happiness rating!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I have the feeling the Full Throttle sports drink new motto will really take off - "Let your man out!"

I saw that, surprised you're posting today. Mckinley died of the same disease Lincoln and Kennedy did
    I know! All of them died of lead poisoning!
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 06 Feb 2006 at 10:04 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Off-topic:
    I have the same thread going here Can someone bring that thread into this since this started first?

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Off-topic:
    I have the same thread going here Can someone bring that thread into this since this started first?
    Moderator note:
    Request granted.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Overall, the Bud commercials rocked!

The Hummer commercial was just WEIRD -- 2 monsters conceiving and delivering a "baby" car? That's kinda reaching really really hard....

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    1)Magic Beer Fridge!!!!

2)The "stunut double" Diet Pepsi ad

3)streaker

Overall they weren't as good as past - and it seems like the general concensus
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2001
    FedEx

"Not my problem."
    Annoyingly insensitive

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    it was great to see bill belicek before the game, but he was somethin' pissed off about not being there, wow -

my friend immediately went to youbetdotcom to place a bet for the steelers after bill's analysys though, LOL

and tom brady getting trash talked by the players before doing the coin toss - they blipped that out - classic stuff

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I thought the commercials sucked this year. The coolest thing about Superbowl was winning $100 from the office pool.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jan 2006
    BROWN AND BUBBLY????

Gotta go with the woman on the plane getting up to go to the restroom.

Funny I don't even remember who that was for...

one more thing the Stones jumped the shark one last time. Time to retire, boys...
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 06 Feb 2006 at 12:42 PM.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Post Superbowl XLVII discussion
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 04 Feb 2013, 6:49 PM
  2. Superbowl parties
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 07 Feb 2010, 6:44 AM
  3. What Re your SuperBowl Plans?