Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: MUPP students at UIC?

Registered
    Apr 2005

MUPP students at UIC?

Is there anyone who reads these boards who currently attends University of Illinois-Chicago? If so, shoot me a private message, as I am interested in getting some information about UIC.

Cheers,
    Peter

Registered
    Oct 2004

2nd semester MUPP

I started the MUPP program at UIC in August, and so far I'm pleased with the overall package. Granted, I can only speak for myself, and you should check back with me in a year or two and see if I've gotten a good job, but I think I made the right decision.

Pros: Situated in an URBAN setting, so there are a million opportunities for internships. There are several great research laboratories (I'm hoping to get an RA next year). Very supportive faculty - most are willing to sit down and have a conversation with you. The student association is active (a dozen of us have been sponsored to spend spring break working in New Orleans)...Also, it's a state school, so you won't be left with too much debt.

Cons: It is a big program, so you can get lost in the crowd, and so far my classes have been more about theory than practical skills, but that's probably my fault for choosing the community development specialization. Some people say the program is too Chicago-centric, but I figure that most of it's issues can be applied to other cities.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 29 Mar 2013, 3:15 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Jan 2013, 11:30 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Oct 2012, 10:51 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 16 Mar 2010, 9:16 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last post: 14 Jun 2007, 11:32 AM