Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Automated garage - where is this?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

Automated garage - where is this?

I've seen pictures of car stackers and automated garages before, but not of this type or magnitude. Does anyone out there know exactly where this is? My first thought was Japan. Someone else suggested that it is actually a Volkswagen factory.

Registered
    May 2003
    Holy cow it looks like a tape core, like they use to store tons of data. They have magnetic tapes stored in a big circular drum and mechanical arms in the middle that load and unload them.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    It can't be Japan, they build everything to be earthquake-proof. They cut back on the standards in recent years, but not like this.

Needless to say, I like this too much for normal people to comprehend.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Registered
    Jul 2005
    There's a similar plan shown on the Automated&Mech Parking Association page
    It looks cool but barring site constraints I wonder about the space efficiency compared to a square design like Dreier's Transfaster design. I believe it is in use with Porsche and possibly VW factories.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    We have a couple of these in Detroit, I've never parked in one though.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

They also have these for on-street parking, they look like a huge carousel. Can't remember the vendor name, they haven't sold one in the US yet....
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    It certainly looks like some kind of auto factory as none of the vehicles have any license plates (don't all countries have some kind of licensing system?).

Off-topic: What kind of car is the orange one in the second photo? It's cute - I think I want one.
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RandomPlanner...
    It certainly looks like some kind of auto factory as none of the vehicles have any license plates (don't all countries have some kind of licensing system?).

Off-topic: What kind of car is the orange one in the second photo? It's cute - I think I want one.

Given that they've got no plates but are from a variety of different makes, with not a single out of date model, I'd argue it's a port off-loading facility, the space saving equivalent of the massive carparks of Australia and the US, used for unloading cars from ships. Also seems to have an abundance of certain models, I can see an awful lot of Mazda6 wagons, more then you'd expect in your standard run of the mill car park.

The reddy-orange car is a Volkswagen Golf.
    Last edited by chukky; 08 Feb 2006 at 9:57 PM.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    The first thing that comes to mid when seeing those pics is that scene from the first Matrix movie when Neo wakes up in in his pod in the "real world."

Now if those cars were Neons, then we'd have something.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    There is a automated garage in I think its Silver Spring Md, just outside DC. Not at all this large but its wild to see it doing its thing. The word around here is to be on the look out for more of them as space gets so costly. I will see if I can hunt up the info on the one here at lunch.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ssnyderjr
    They also have these for on-street parking, they look like a huge carousel. Can't remember the vendor name, they haven't sold one in the US yet....

Hmmm well whats that tall skinny garage in the middle of Detroit for? Maybe its a different vendor?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2002

info on the DC one

http://www.boston.com/business/techn...wheres_my_car/
    Robodude, where's my car?Automatic garages may be an answer to city's parking crunch

SpaceSaver Parking Company Chicago, IL http://www.spacesaverparking.com
    Nationís First Fully-Automated Parking Garage SpaceSaver Parking Systems has installed a revolutionary new, completely mechanized, quick change pallet parking system with turntables in the Summit Grand Parc in Washington, DC. Itís the first of its kind in the United States and is designed to provide economical parking solutions and safely accommodate hundreds of vehicles. Itís similar to a high-rack shelving system on as many as 20 parking levels with platforms moving laterally and longitudinally.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

It has an incredably small footprint. I kinda like it.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by chukky
    Given that they've got no plates but are from a variety of different makes, with not a single out of date model, I'd argue it's a port off-loading facility, the space saving equivalent of the massive carparks of Australia and the US, used for unloading cars from ships. Also seems to have an abundance of certain models, I can see an awful lot of Mazda6 wagons, more then you'd expect in your standard run of the mill car park.

The reddy-orange car is a Volkswagen Golf.
    I didn't think about a port somewhere - that makes sense. And seems totally efficient to use so little of a footprint to hold so many cars. (I wonder if this type of structure has ever had a notable faulty incident.)

Off topic - I'm not sure it's a VW Golf. Any other ideas as to what the orangey-red car is?
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Off topic: I'm pretty sure it is the Mk5 Golf. Volkswagen America is still selling the Mk4... the Mk5 looks more like the GTI. Or it could be the four door GTI, which again doesnt appear to be on the American VW website.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    OT: The Red car is the European Golf, we won't have it here until at least the fall, the new Mk5 GTI goes on sale this spring, its making the rounds on the auto show circuit right now...

Actually, looking at the picture more, I think it is a VW factory, the wagons are not Mazda 6s, they are new Passat wagons (or estates as they call them in Europe). The minivans are European VW vans...
    'Planning Rockstar in training';-)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The cars all look like VW's to me.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 Dec 2011, 4:58 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 Mar 2010, 12:31 PM
  3. Automated checkout lines
    Friday Afternoon Club