Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: AIB volvos - Help me find a new car. please!!

Registered
    Aug 2005

AIB volvos - Help me find a new car. please!!

i currently have a 1996 nissan altima with 111,500 miles on it. while she's a good car and i will miss her dearly, some of the repairs that she needs will cost more than she is actually worth. so rather than be taken completely off-guard when she goes, i'm starting the process of looking for a new-to-me car. i don't want a brand new car as i feel you get more for your money with a used one. i don't know exactly what kind of car i want, that's where you come in. any suggestions you have would be extremely useful.

what i'm looking for in a car:

1. good MPG 30+ city. - my boyfriend has a jeep liberty so we're looking for something more fuel efficient for driving around town

2. reliable & dependable - i like the fact that my nissan has lasted for so long with minimal problems

3. good acceleration - i've got a sporty side to me

4. mid-sized

5. 4 doors

6. relatively low mileage

7. i'm looking to spend around $12-14,000 - i'll have to finance it but have enough for a decent down payment

thanks in advance!!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol
    i currently have a 1996 nissan altima with 111,500 miles on it. while she's a good car and i will miss her dearly, some of the repairs that she needs will cost more than she is actually worth. so rather than be taken completely off-guard when she goes, i'm starting the process of looking for a new-to-me car. i don't want a brand new car as i feel you get more for your money with a used one. i don't know exactly what kind of car i want, that's where you come in. any suggestions you have would be extremely useful.

what i'm looking for in a car:

1. good MPG 30+ city. - my boyfriend has a jeep liberty so we're looking for something more fuel efficient for driving around town

2. reliable & dependable - i like the fact that my nissan has lasted for so long with minimal problems

3. good acceleration - i've got a sporty side to me

4. mid-sized

5. 4 doors

6. relatively low mileage

7. i'm looking to spend around $12-14,000 - i'll have to finance it but have enough for a decent down payment

thanks in advance!!
    good luck. I think that it will be hard to find something that meets all those needs and is still in the range you are looking for. I would start by looking at honda civics.

off topic- what does AIB mean?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    AIB - as inspired by

the civic is one of the main contenders i'm looking at. i'm not sure where i'm going to find one down here for a decent price. i've spoken with a few dealers and they have said that most of the decent used civics and accords were scooped up by katrina evacuees and other right after katrina.

plus i'm a bit wary of buying a car from a dealership in NOLA. i'm really afraid of getting a car that was flooded or somehow damaged in the storms.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol
    AIB - as inspired by

thanks- not knowing that one has been bugging me for a while.

We bought a new civic with 11 miles on it for $13,500 a year ago but we had to drive about 6 huors out of our way for that price. If they are too expensive where you live then if possible I would look in different parts of the country. Its worth the hassle if you end up saving some big $$$.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner
    thanks- not knowing that one has been bugging me for a while.
    i felt the same way before someone told me.

Quote Originally posted by imaplanner
    We bought a new civic with 11 miles on it for $13,500 a year ago but we had to drive about 6 huors out of our way for that price. If they are too expensive where you live then if possible I would look in different parts of the country. Its worth the hassle if you end up saving some big $$$.
    yeah, that sounds like a pretty good deal for a new civic. some of the used one's i've been looking at are that price and more!

the prices of cars in NOLA and the surrounding area seem a bit higher than the prices in upstate NY where my parents are. i'm trying to figure out how to work it so i could get a car from up there. but being that i'm still in school and don't have much income flying back and forth to NY a few times seems a bit out of reach.

Registered
    May 2003
    Why not get bikes and share the boyfriend's car? You'll save a ton of money and get lots of exercise.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Why not get bikes and share the boyfriend's car? You'll save a ton of money and get lots of exercise.
    if we lived in the same town i would totally go for that idea. unfortunately we currently live 110 miles apart. so we each need a car to see each other. plus a lot of the drivers in NOLA are not very bike friendly. i've had friends who were delibrately swerved at while on their bikes.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Have you looked at a Saturn ION 3 ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Have you looked at a Saturn ION 3 ?
    no, i have not. but now that you have suggested it i will check it out.

Registered
    May 2005
    We inherited a Camry from my mother-in-law which, before hand, I passed over as entirely without note. Once we had it, though, I really enjoyed this car (except for the color). Terribly dependable. Very quiet ride. Hard to find in a parking lot (cause it looks like every other car...) and good mileage if you go for the 4 cyl. The 6 has a lot more pep, but you might not get the mileage you want. You can probably get a pretty new one for that kind of money (and they look snazzier now than in the past).

We now own a Maxima which rocks in terms of performance (I had stiffer shocks put in - stock is a little mushy). But the mileage is poor and despite the alloy wheels, leather seats and great stereo, I find myself longing for more efficiency.The newer Maximas also look pretty sexy and you can, I think, still get a 4 cyl. model. Worth a look...

I would really like a Prius, but they are about 13k and up for used.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The Scion line made by Toyota is right in your price point and hits most of your criteria..

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I drive a loaded 96 Maxima with 136K on it. I just love it. The baby just purrs and I get 30mph on the highway with the V6. My son is eyeing the car so even though we don't have the $ I made the mistake at looking at the 06 Civics. Boy are they sweet; 30city/40 highway.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    A Mazda 3 5-door might be a good bet. Sporty, functional, 30+ mpg... You can probably get one used with about 30K mileage in your price range. A friend of mine has one with 96K miles--all he has done is bought tires, breakpads, oil changes, etc. The only thing that broke was the visor because he was a moron.

A Toyota Corolla S might be a good fit as well. They run forever and can get up around 40 mpg with the stick. It's a Toyota, so the design is somewhat dull even with the S model, IMHO. Relatively peppy, but nothing to get excited about.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    When I was over getting hosed at Jerk Toyota buying my new truck, I saw the new Corollas in the showroom. 32/43 or so MPG and $16,000. Try those. I like the lines on those too.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2005
    *grin*

is it wrong that i have a thing against Corollas because someone i once knew and no longer like drives one?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I got a Mercury Sable LS with 9,000 for that price range a few months back. Nice ride, lots of comfort, speed, and 30 mpg on the road.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I like my 05 Matrix just fine. Get the stick and two wheel drive for the best milage. 50K so far and adding 35 K a year.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    get a used Subaru - good gas mileage, decent used availability, low maintenance, you can't kill them

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    I like my 05 Matrix just fine. Get the stick and two wheel drive for the best milage. 50K so far and adding 35 K a year.
    The Matrix is a great little car...but the automatic AWD is a bit slow...but great gas mileage for an AWD. If you can't afford the Toyota price...get her sister...the Pontiac Vibe.

If you go new...I suggest getting a price from carsdirect. Our dealer was willing to match it....got a really good price.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Find a neighborhood . com?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Nov 2013, 10:48 AM
  2. Find one in every car. You'll see.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4