Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Survey: What browser do you use at work?

Registered
    Jul 2003

Survey: What browser do you use at work?

I am wondering what type (and version number) of browser folks use at work and whether it is "the standard one required by the work place" or something they downloaded due to personal preference. I was considering adding a poll to this so it could tabulate percentages BUT when I was trying to figure out what to list, I came across this archive of browsers: http://browsers.evolt.org/ If I listed ALL browsers, the poll would be ENDLESS. If a mod who is more knowledgeable than I am would add a poll of just the major (most used) browsers with choices like "older version" and "latest greatest version", that would be like a late Christmas present. But I don't think that is absolutely necessary, although the convenient tabulation of percentages would be cool.

So, if you would, just tell me in a post what browser (type and version number) you use at work and whether it is "the standard" imposed by your place of employment or something you chose to upload.

Thank you.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Why Microsoft Internet Explorer, of course. Remember back in the heady days when Alexander Graham Monopoly ruled the earth? One didn't need to be bothered by questions like 'which phone company do you use?' The answer was conveniently "the phone company". Microsoft may not have quite that level of dominance but I bet the majority of respondents will say 'microsoft internet explorer' (at least for work)

My bold prediction for the day.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2003

FoxFire

Mozilla Firefox (Build 200601011112). It is not the standard application at work. Microsoft is. Firefox loads webpages alot faster and is customizable. My husband found a script which allows password bypass for newspapers,etc.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I use Firefox & IE, depending on my mood. I have no idea what version they are, but I just upgraded my work computer about a month ago so I assume all are the latest and greatest.

I use Firefox mostly, but revert to IE on a couple of sites because they don't convert as well to Firefox.

EDIT: I dug up the info on my stuff
    Firefox 1.5.0.1 (80% of time)
    IE 6.0.blahblahblah (the rest)

I'm very similar at home, maybe use firefox a little more.
    Last edited by Suburb Repairman; 08 Feb 2006 at 3:21 PM.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Why Microsoft Internet Explorer, of course. Remember back in the heady days when Alexander Graham Monopoly ruled the earth? One didn't need to be bothered by questions like 'which phone company do you use?' The answer was conveniently "the phone company". Microsoft may not have quite that level of dominance but I bet the majority of respondents will say 'microsoft internet explorer' (at least for work)

My bold prediction for the day.
    Yes, but I am also interested in boring details like "Is that IE 6 or IE 4?", a detail you forgot to cover.

So, perhaps that would be kind of like "Which color of rotary phone do you use?" But I still would like to know.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Yes, but I am also interested in boring details like "Is that IE 6 or IE 4?", a detail you forgot to cover.
    Those are boring techno geek details. Clearly this thread in no way involves me. Carry on.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We use Internet Explorer, v. 6-something (big string of numbers/letters). If we tried to use something else at work, we would be in big trouble. They are so anal here. We can't even have our own screensavers.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Mozilla Firefox Version 1.0.7
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    IE 6 at work, been messin with Firefox at home

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    We use Internet Explorer, v. 6-something (big string of numbers/letters). ...
    Same here. Our county web site comes up on Netscape Navigator, but it sucks.
    I think Dan posted somes stats on this once.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Same here. Our county web site comes up on Netscape Navigator, but it sucks.
    I think Dan posted somes stats on this once.
    Yes, If I recall correctly, he posted stats concerning which browsers are accessing Cyburbia. If I can think of how to find them, I hope to look at those later as well.

Registered
    May 2003
    IE 4 is unusable on the modern web, just like NS 4.

I use Firefox although I'm not supposed to (I can't STAND IE).

At home I've used Mozilla since Milestone 8. Milestone 8 was mostly useless but it was better than NS 4, which was at the time the only alternative for Linux users.

It's kinda funny how web browsing is one thing where using linux sucked for years, then it became better in Linux than in Windows, and then smart Windows users started using a port of the Linux tool.

By the way, it'd be nice to have a poll.

EDIT: These are the stats for January 2006 for my neighborhoods website:

Code:
    1 	62.23% 	MSIE
    2 	60.68% 	MSIE 6.0
    3 	26.01% 	Mozilla
    4 	25.79% 	Mozilla/5.0
    5 	2.13% 	msnbot/1.0 
    6 	1.68% 	Wget/1.10.1
    7 	1.57% 	Googlebot-Image/1.0
    8 	1.54% 	Googlebot/2.1
    9 	1.18% 	e-SocietyRobot
    10 	0.68% 	Yahoo! Slurp
    11 	0.60% 	MSIE 5.2
    12 	0.59% 	Googlebot/2.1 
    13 	0.58% 	Ask Jeeves/Teoma
    14 	0.40% 	Konqueror/3.2
    15 	0.32% 	MSIE 5.0

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    Mozilla Firefox Version 1.0.7
    My first reply is now outdated.

Now running Firefox 1.5.0.1
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb

By the way, it'd be nice to have a poll.
    If you are willing to do so, I bet if you started a new thread with a poll attached, the mods would be willing to merge the threads. With luck, it would remain intact. Or maybe you could just supply a reasonable list of browsers so they don't have make it up from scratch. One reason I did not start a poll is because I am not knowledgeable enough to know what is a reasonable list of "major" browsers and their versions.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Yes, I recall correctly, he posted stats concerning which browsers are accessing Cyburbia. If I can think of how to find them, I hope to look at those later as well.
    February 2006:

MSIE 1207077 84 %
    FIREFOX 137020 9.5 %
    NETSCAPE 8613 0.5 %
    Others 83876 5.8 %

Among the others:

Safari 31479 2.1 %
    Konqueror 20898 1.4 %
    Unknown ? 1 %
    Mozilla 11058 0.7 %
    Opera 4033 0.2 %
    Camino 965 0 %
    Firebird (Old Firefox) 162 0 %
    WebCollage (PDA/Phone browser) 91 0 %
    MultiZilla 61 0 %
    WebTV browser 50 0 %
    Links 46 0 %
    LibWWW 34 0 %
    Lotus Notes web client 10 0 %
    Nokia Browser (PDA/Phone browser) 8 0 %
    Galeon 7 0 %
    Wget 6 0 %
    Motorola Browser (PDA/Phone browser) 5 0 %
    UP.Browser (PDA/Phone browser) 3 0 %
    Acrobat 2 0 %
    Curl 2 0 %
    Lynx 2 0 %

Operating systems:

WIN 1326315 92.3 %
    Windows XP 1104833 76.9 %
    Windows NT 3051 0.2 %
    Windows Me 15100 1 %
    Windows Codename Longhorn 2 0 %
    Windows CE 52 0 %
    Windows 98 30252 2.1 %
    Windows 95 2720 0.1 %
    Windows 2003 1779 0.1 %
    Windows 2000 168526 11.7 %

MAC 46045 3.2 %
    Mac OS X 40129 2.7 %
    Mac OS 5916 0.4 %

Others 64226 4.4 %
    Unknown 39282 2.7 %
    FreeBSD 20716 1.4 %
    Linux 4147 0.2 %
    WebTV 50 0 %
    Unknown Unix system 22 0 %
    Sun Solaris 8 0 %
    Symbian OS 1 0 %
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2003
    ^-- It's a pity that your stats don't combine all MSIE permutations and all Mozilla permutations...

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Thanks Dan.

Registered
    Sep 2005

In my humble opinion...

Microsoft is borg. Prepare to be assimilated.
    The killer software is rampant in DoD. Very icky.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries

Don't Laugh...

Don't laugh but at the Probate Court we are running slo-mo machines with IE 4 and Win 98. They crash numerous times an hour and well it's damn near impossible to surf anything with IE 4. Rumor has it we are getting new machines in a few weeks but being a county government office we aren't holding our breath!

Firefox 1.5.

We have both Firefox and IE on the computers. I don't think it's possible to install Windows without IE... although that might be something that Microsoft had to change after the antitrust case a couple years ago?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    ^-- It's a pity that your stats don't combine all MSIE permutations and all Mozilla permutations...
    I've got them, but most people might find it a little bit too boring.

I wonder how search engines identify their client since we get a lot of them here.

I'm disappointed at how few people use Opera. It's more secure than Internet Explorer, not suceptible to memory leaks like Firefox, and faster than both. The numbers could be underreported, though, because users can set their own client ID with Opera, and allowing it to "spoof" another browser. Some Web sites won't let users visit if they set the client ID to Opera, but will let you in if it's changed to Internet Explorer.

We have administrator privileges on our computers at work. I use Mozilla Firefox 1.5, while everyone else here sticks with Internet Explorer. I also have Opera 8.5 installed.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek
    Don't laugh but at the Probate Court we are running slo-mo machines with IE 4 and Win 98. They crash numerous times an hour and well it's damn near impossible to surf anything with IE 4. Rumor has it we are getting new machines in a few weeks but being a county government office we aren't holding our breath!
    No, not laughing. That is one of the things I am wondering: how many government offices have way outdated software and hardware!

Quote Originally posted by Dan
    I've got them, but most people might find it a little bit too boring.
    But that is exactly the info I am looking for.

Thanks jordanb.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. APA salary survey
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 12 May 2014, 4:45 PM
  2. Malware error on Chrome Browser.
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 07 Jun 2013, 6:35 PM
  3. Census BAS survey?