Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How would a sign code regulate this?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

How would a sign code regulate this?

Thank God it snows here, because advertising like this would't survuve more than a few days.

Quote Originally posted by Tampa Bay Times
    Parking stripes may be common at your local store.
    Associated Press

The parking lot: it isn't just for parking anymore.

In the latest example of advertisers turning space with no commercial value into something valuable, a company is manufacturing printed vinyl ads that cover the lines between spaces in parking lots. They're unobtrusive from a distance but impossible to miss when standing over them.

The ads' creator says they're effective because most people in a retailer's parking lot are there specifically to purchase something.
    [snip]
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    That's great, and I am also happy I don't deal with signage anymore....sign regulation is the devil's handiwork......it's evil!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I wouldn't regulate it. Why bother? It doesn't present any issues with regard to traffic safety or visual clutter. Let it be I say.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    i would not regulate. no compelling public interest to safety or aesthetics.

Registered
    May 2004
    The first thing that popped into my head was the guiness commecial with the guy that goes "Brilliant!!".

But honestly I don't know- looks like they would still be visible from a short distance. Like while walking or driving across the parking lot. In that sense perhaps it could be a traffic issue as drivers might be looking at the writing on the ground. I would want to regulate it somehow- especially because I think its a terrible idea (while being brilliant at the same time).

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Actually, I've seen where the parking lines were fishes at a tackle store near the coast and thought it was cool. I don't see a big deal here as parking lines, however if there are travel lane divider lines, well that's another issue.

Remember, there's no such thing as a "good" sign ordinance.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I see an interesting option here, grade your parking lot and lay these out so they form a message tha is readable from teh street and also readable from close up. Kind of like those pointalism murals made up of individual faces that make a big face.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    You could have a scenario where a house abutts a small parking lot with this stuff.

I guess most sign codes wouldn't prevent a business from painting an acre parking lot into a giant ad, nevermind little strips.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 30 May 2012, 9:51 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Jun 2011, 12:59 PM
  3. Signs / billboards Sign Code revision
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 25 Nov 2003, 6:55 PM
  4. Signs / billboards Help on sign code
    Land Use and Zoning