Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Who is watching us?

Registered
    May 2004

Who is watching us?

(8 members, 59 guests) And that is just in the FAC forum. Come on people- register!! Tell us who you are!

Do you think these people are CIA agents? Developers looking to blackmail us? Or is it something more sinister?

Okay. That is all I have to say.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner
    (8 members, 59 guests) And that is just in the FAC forum. Come on people- register!! Tell us who you are!

Do you think these people are CIA agents? Developers looking to blackmail us? Or is it something more sinister?

just all wave at your respective bosses -

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Al Qaeda Recruiters, obviously. There are so many "liberals" here that they have decided Cyburbia is obviously good recruiting grounds..

Registered
    Jul 2003
    My understanding is that the vast majority of "guests" are spiders indexing the site for search engines and/or trying to find e-mail addresses for spammers, etc. Some are real people, but most are not.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    They are NSA agents. As far as I know, its still legal to lurk on Cyburbia without a visit to the FISA court.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Isn't it obvious....Zman is the plant......why would he be so publicly anxious about the "black helicopters".
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    My understanding is that the vast majority of "guests" are spiders indexing the site for search engines and/or trying to find e-mail addresses for spammers, etc. Some are real people, but most are not.
    way to kill the fun

Actually that is really interesting. I just realized how little I know about how the internet works.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Isn't it obvious....Zman is the plant......why would he be so publicly anxious about the "black helicopters".
    How do you know my language?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2005

I admit - It was me --- before registering. And I guess 58 people like me.

I would lurk about really to see what planning issues were stewing in the minds of my cohorts around the world. It's so cool, really.

It just so happens that more often than not the FAC is where some of the most interesting topics are being discussed. Or at least the ones I ever feel up to commenting on.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    way to kill the fun

Actually that is really interesting. I just realized how little I know about how the internet works.
    Well, be a little grateful: I waited until you had a few posts so it would be less of a kill-joy. I could have been the first reply and given the conspiracy theorists no room for their paranoid delusions.

In all honesty: I have had a couple of people write me privately whom I have no reason to believe had any interest in urban planning but tripped across Cyburbia doing a search for info on clothing or homeschooling and found some post of mine related to that. And plenty of people join and say "I have lurked for X months now and finally decided to join in" or similar.

When I moderated a list, the founder had done some studies and also was very familiar with a lot of general data about the internet (she was an IT professional). What I recall of things she told me is that about 10% of members of a list will post "regularly", another 20% will post occassionally or intermittently, and 70% of your members will post rarely or never and basically lurk. I figure that the public nature of this forum means that both guests and members who almost never post can be considered to make up the 70% of folks who regularly read it but don't get heard from. Extrapolating from those numbers, since there are 2700 or so members, its possible that another 4000 to 6000 people actually use the site.

So I am generally pretty careful about what I say. Future employers, ex-spouses, and god-only-knows who are all potentially within earshot. I also sometimes get e-mails with questions for me from lurkers here or on lists I belong to. So that helps keep me aware that the folks who post are not the only ones listening in.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. People watching
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 22 Apr 2013, 6:10 PM
  2. Big Brother is Watching
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 10 Mar 2006, 5:09 PM
  3. watching the history channel
    Friday Afternoon Club