Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Explain Your Signature Line

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Explain Your Signature Line

This Bear usually signs a post with a bad little pun or a weak attempt at humor. This thread is NOT about those little ditties that some Cyburbian geeks add. It is an attempt to get to the bottom of the formal signatures that we add, via the Cyburbia site Control Box.

I usually change my formal signature on a whim. Something hits me just the right way and a little buzzer goes off in my head that says "Time for a sig change." My formal signatures are most often musically-related. As a struggling poet I have always loved the lyricst's ability to convey a message that can be bright, sad, witty, nostalgic, moving, or innuendo-packed.

I will go first, with a great explanation for my current signature. I have to include it in this text because the next time I change it (oh those dirty whims, you try washing them out..... ) the formal sig will be different and the comments will make no sense.

"The warriors of outside.....they begin their pagan hostile dance."

These lyrics are from a Chicago group called The Flock, circa about 1969-1972. Rock and roll critics at at that time annointed these dudes as the greatest thing since sliced bread. But their albums did not sell.....although this Bear was a big fan and I bought 'em.

The song is called "Truth" and it is on their first album. It is a long tune (about 14 minutes I think) and gives the listener typical Flock style. You can call them a horn band, you would only be partially correct. You could label them an alternative jazz sound band, you would only be partially correct. You could label them a lyrics-intense (with all kinds of hidden meaning) band, you would only be partially corrrect.

"Turth" is about.......what the hexx is this tune about? Finding truth in a society that hides it? Celebrating the end of freedom? Anti-religious nutcakes who's only god is "the big lie"? I have no clue.

Your turn. What say you?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Over teh pst year or so I can remmebr using the follwoing one

"Adults don't make as little as you do"
    "Broken hearts are for.....) FZ
    We are only what we pretend to be. So we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

The first was said by an ex and really hit home

The second, by zappa kind of goes with the one above

The third, made me realize that if I portray myself as an unhappy loser, I will always be one or turn into one.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2005
    My signature is about two years old now, and I post it, along with my real name, on half a dozen forums. The signature grew out of themes that were repeated on my posts over six or seven years.

Overall, it forces me to write something original.

Sometimes, it even works.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by safege
    My signature is about two years old now, and I post it, along with my real name, on half a dozen forums. The signature grew out of themes that were repeated on my posts over six or seven years.

Overall, it forces me to write something original.

Sometimes, it even works.
    Speaking of your signature line AND blending-in some speak-think concerning your posted avatar.....

You should start a thread in the PLANES, TRAINS, ETC. forum that does some in-depth explanations of Safege technology, what it is, why it is the preferred monorail, where it is being used, costs, etc.

OK, back on topic.....

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Speaking of your signature line AND blending-in some speak-think concerning your posted avatar.....

You should start a thread in the PLANES, TRAINS, ETC. forum that does some in-depth explanations of Safege technology, what it is, why it is the preferred monorail, where it is being used, costs, etc.

OK, back on topic.....

Bear
    My points so far are kind of scattered, aren't they? Sounds fair, I could give it the old vo-tech grad try.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Just being friendly

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I went to the recent inaguration for the City of Detroit, I paraphrased Mayor Kwame's speech. It certainly sounded to me as if he wanted to build bridges and reach out to evreyone. I guess its my way of acknowledging that I need to get over what I don't like about leadership in general, and focus on what is important. Quality of life.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I don't have one right now. I have to be "inspired". For a long time I had Carly Simon's "Anticipation" but my expectations have been met. (I'm bad). Now I just have to find a quote that floats my boat at the moment.

Sometimes I do holiday stuff, especially at X-mas, there are so many good ones.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Script from a t-shirt given to me and a line from Forrest Gump.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Jul 2003
    At the moment, the only thing in my signature is
    SWIGIS: Where the GIrlS are.
    I am a "board member" (but hesitate to call myself that because there is no intent at this time that I know of to formally start an official and legal "charity") with a group called "Society of Women in GIS". The signature is to promote the group. I sometimes wonder if I should put other links in my signature -- For example: to promote the Solano Rail website -- but I often wonder if that would cross some line of appropriateness or whatever. So I err on the side of caution and leave those out. Maybe some day I will change my mind. But, for now, SWIGIS is not really "mine", it is something I support, and promoting membership by advertising it here is one of the ways I support it (I also designed the logo for the group.) and that doesn't make me wonder if there is a conflict of interest, unlike when I contemplate promoting one of my own websites in my signature.

Did you follow all that rambling??

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I change mine frequently, based on snippets or quotes that I like. The current one was "inspired" by a senior moderator's line

Registered
    Nov 2005
    My signature line says my life.
    Work hard, play hard.
    Listen carefully, see broadly.
    Good people, great environment, wonderful life.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    My Second Line is from a nearly classic character in a nearly classic movie -
    Kelly's Heroes
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I just added one, a quote from Mae West. It covers pretty much everything: chocolate, wine, good books, and anything else I want it to mean!

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful"

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Mine is a one of my recent quotes in a post I made in a thread about standardized testing.

In the post I was trying to be even handed, but just wasn't too successful, so I added it as a catch phrase at the end of the post.

The sig before the current one was also a personal quote. I liked the way it sounded.

Is it slightly egomaniacal to quote oneself?
    Last edited by mendelman; 13 Feb 2006 at 9:51 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I've kept the same sig line on these forums and my e-mail for the past 5 years, and have no plans of changing it. It pretty much speaks for itself.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Mine is simply one of my favorite movie lines. Well, there are a few others, but they are probably not appropriate. Another line I contemplated using was "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here!"

It has remained the same since I joined.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Mine is from one of my favorite Dead tunes...I recently changed it from one of my other favorite tunes by the same artist..this one seemed fitting a few weeks back (and pretty much all the time around this place) when politics/politicians played a rather large part in a job opportunity....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    I'm always looking for a better way to get things done. Usually, I can find one. People get stuck on doing things the way they learned them, which may get the job done, but often is inefficient. I read an article titled "There's gotta be a better way" I cut the headline out and kept it at my desk.

Funny, I never paid much attention to a lot of signature lines until this thread.
    Last edited by noottamevas; 13 Feb 2006 at 10:08 AM.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    My signature describes me to a T.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    For some things in life, I feel in limbo - but there's a bright promise ahead.

or

With all political crap going on, we can't make progress, but we will one day.

I'll probably be changing mine soon, but I haven't decided. I thought about:
    "Indecision may or may not be the death of me."
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I think my signature line says it all.

"It is all a matter of perspective"
    I have looked at it a number of times and it applies to most things in life.

It came to me originally in a conversation about how a new wife of one of my ex's thought she had just found the most wonderful man in the world. And from her perspective she had... From my perspective I didn't think him to be the greatest.
    As I go though life I apply that theory to many things and it always seems appropriate.

As well as the theory " Be careful what you wish for" Sometimes those wishes are granted be perhaps not in the way you would have hoped it would turn out.

Once again the issue of perspective comes into play.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I've wondered whether I should stay with the witty/ironic type sig lines (previous sig "putting the fun in fundamentalism") or should go with the thought provoking/pretentious type sig line (previous zen-ish sig line from Shakespeare "there is nothing good or bad, but thinking makes it so")
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Mine comes having spent way too much time in land use planning.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I think that this link will help for the Octopus part

The rest, well it deals with me winning the Cyburbia Fantasy Hockey League!
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 10 Apr 2012, 11:41 AM
  2. can't post in signature
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 30 Mar 2006, 10:16 PM
  3. signature won't show in forums
    Cyburbia Issues and Help