Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Content

Registered
    Feb 2006

Canadian Content

Another Canuck comin' at you live... This time from the belle province.

I've been lurking here for a little while and finally just decided to sign-up. Now I can join in the forum fun.

Cheers

CanCon

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Hi from central Florida!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    welcome from NW Florida.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome from Hoosier State; along the Ohio River; in the Central Time Zone.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Howdy there
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Welcome from Minnesota.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Hi from Down Under!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Welcome from the snowy burbs of Washington DC
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Welcome
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Welcome again from a Habs Fan who lives in the only place to ever say NO! to the Olympics!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Welcome from Downeast Maine!

Montreal is my favorite city (along with San Francisco), bar none - we used to go every year sans kids as our getaway for many years - formula one racing and the opera - you can get it all there

We stayed in Westmont (?) - I could live there in a heartbeat!

We are already training our 13 year old that McGill is where she'll want to go to college - just so we have to go visit

post lots!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Welcome from Chicagoland!!!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2006

Thanks for the hello's

Thanks for the hello's everyone,

I'm looking forward to chatting with you. McGill is a pretty cool place to go to school - I'm just finishing up my MUP here and will be hitting the job market momentarily. Montreal is indeed a beautiful city - but I sure like Boston too.

Cheers, CanCon

Registered
    Sep 2001
    You bringing the lover boy, glass tiger and max webster records to this party we call cyburbia?

welcome
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hello from Edmonton!

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Welcome from Missouri

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Hello. Fellow Canadian, here. Native to Vancouver, though studying in Waterloo.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Welcome from the far northwest suburbs of Chicago.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Welcome from NW Ohio.

Just read a goode article about the great heavy metal bands that hail from Montreal.

Here's a good Montreal story for ya.....

Friend of mine was born and raised there, close to the river. He was in downtown Montreal for some reason, high up in a building, perhaps thirty (30) stories or so. While he was talking to whoever he was talking to, the people in the office moved to the window. Seems that there was a car on fire down on the street.

It was my friend's car.

Glad your here.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Welcome from SW Mich.
    One question - what in your opinion is the best Canadian beer?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Welcome from SW Mich.
    One question - what in your opinion is the best Canadian beer?

oooooo, good question. Having hailed from Alberta I was, until recently, unnaquainted with the lovely tradition of Quebecois micro-brews. So I would have said before that I enjoyed the "Big Rock" offering quite a bit... Now, however, I think I have to vote for a company called Unibroue. They make a few really fabulous beers, such as a Belgian-style white called "Blanche de Chambly" and a few really potent ones (9% alcohol content + powerful tasting) such as "Maudite" and "La Fin du Monde." If ever in Quebec pick some up. Actually, you can get these beers in the sates (sometimes, some places...). They come in fabulous bottles too - large 750 ml volume (I can't convert to the imperial system in my head right now) with real corks.

Failing grades for Canadian beers include (but are not limited to): Canadian (ironic eh?), Labatt Blue, Kokanee, and anything with "dry" written in large gold lettering across the lable.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by CanCon
    oooooo, good question. Having hailed from Alberta I was, until recently, unnaquainted with the lovely tradition of Quebecois micro-brews. So I would have said before that I enjoyed the "Big Rock" offering quite a bit... Now, however, I think I have to vote for a company called Unibroue. They make a few really fabulous beers, such as a Belgian-style white called "Blanche de Chambly" and a few really potent ones (9% alcohol content + powerful tasting) such as "Maudite" and "La Fin du Monde." If ever in Quebec pick some up. Actually, you can get these beers in the sates (sometimes, some places...). They come in fabulous bottles too - large 750 ml volume (I can't convert to the imperial system in my head right now) with real corks.

Failing grades for Canadian beers include (but are not limited to): Canadian (ironic eh?), Labatt Blue, Kokanee, and anything with "dry" written in large gold lettering across the lable.
    prana, zman, and all other brew enthusiasts......I hope you are taking notes.

CC, please allow me to direct your attention to here:
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...=12534&page=22
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Welcome, from Irving, Texas!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Feb 2006

Howdy

Hi there from a fellow Montrealer!

Tell me what you're involved in, with what organization/institution. I'm at Concordia just now.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra
    Welcome, from Irving, Texas!
    Ditto.
    note: Cyburbia has a ten character minimum for messages.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 13 Jan 2012, 1:51 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 Feb 2008, 10:48 PM