+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Best Coney Dogs

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

The Best Coney Dogs

Get the bicarb ready.....

Do you have a favorite "coney dog"? Do we all even agree on what the hexx a coney dog is?

From what little this Bear knows, a hot dog on a bun with chili sauce and onions smothered on top originated at New York's famous Coney Island Amusement Park.
    Other locales played around with the ingredients and gave the world a number of different types of coney dogs.

Cincinnati's dogs have spaghetti and cheese, along with the other ingredients. In Toledo, a sausage dog has been made famous by Tony Packo's Restaurant.....the world-famous "Tony Packo Hungarian Hot Dog". It is, of course, topped with Tony Packo's special chili sauce.....and for the daring, throw some hot Packo's pickles on top of that. Yum!

Toledo also has a pretty goode chili dog made by a local chain of restaurants called "Rudy's". A bit south of Toledo, in a roadside ice cream and snack stand (in Stony Ridge), is a great chili dog that gets my vote as the best. Talk about major heartburn.....wow! And, yum!

DetroitPlanner's signature line includes a quote from Detroit's mayor, mentioning coney dogs. Some of the little places in Hockeytown have some really good dogs.

My educated gastronomical guess is that other locales have some great chili dogs, perhaps with something to add some zip or a special sauce or maybe a dog with kraut. More yums, from across the land.

Tell us about your dogs.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Blech. Yankee food. Real southerners don't eat that crap. Hot dogs are meant to be tasted, not smothered with icky stuff like bean-laden chili.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    My hometown, Fort Wayne, Indiana, has a classic coney dog diner, called simply enough "Coney Island."

On a related but off-topic note, didn't we have a discussion of "sliders" at one point? Powers Hamburgers makes the cut there!

ZG: We can, if you insist, deep fry the hot dogs before chilli-ing them up. That would make them perfectly Southern in character.

Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    My educated gastronomical guess is that other locales have some great chili dogs, perhaps with something to add some zip or a special sauce or maybe a dog with kraut. More yums, from across the land.

Tell us about your dogs.
    Despite the fact that the things supposedly have New York origins, a "Coney Island Hot Dog" is pretty much a Midwestern thing as far as I know. I've never seen the term used anywhere in the East (other than Upstate New York, but that's practically Midwest anyway), and it's rare to see hot dogs with chili on them anywhere in the Northeast corridor.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I rarely eat hotdogs. I’d rather have a kielbasa or a hot Italian sausage topped with red onions, sharp cheddar cheese, and mayo on a bun. And a side of fries, please.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Do you have a favorite "coney dog"? Do we all even agree on what the hexx a coney dog is?

From what little this Bear knows, a hot dog on a bun with chili sauce and onions smothered on top originated at New York's famous Coney Island Amusement Park.
    Other locales played around with the ingredients and gave the world a number of different types of coney dogs.

Tell us about your dogs.

Bear
    You are talking about Nathan's Famous.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by passdoubt
    Despite the fact that the things supposedly have New York origins, a "Coney Island Hot Dog" is pretty much a Midwestern thing as far as I know. I've never seen the term used anywhere in the East (other than Upstate New York, but that's practically Midwest anyway), and it's rare to see hot dogs with chili on them anywhere in the Northeast corridor.

Yep - that would be where I come from originally, Syracuse New York - home of Hoffman's hot dogs - Heid's on the Lake, a great place - best birch beer ever made too

when people come visit me in Maine from there the requirement is to bring me hot dogs (and those great red potato's)

Buffalo has great Polish sausages not to be beat either and Rochester has some good German dogs as well -

now I'm going home to fire up a "white hot"

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Coney Dogs never heard the term used here in my parts of Norh Carolina, well if you subtract out the misguided yankees sorry misguided yankees. Hotdogs down here come with chili, slaw (shredded cabbage with a mayo base), onions, and mustard. A great place to go is Green's Lunch in Downtown Charlotte.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl
    Coney Dogs never heard the term used here in my parts of Norh Carolina, well if you subtract out the misguided yankees sorry misguided yankees. Hotdogs down here come with chili, slaw (shredded cabbage with a mayo base), onions, and mustard. A great place to go is Green's Lunch in Downtown Charlotte.

Big Owl - you beat me to the punch on that one. I'll have to second the nomination for Green's Lunch! Two dogs and a coke for me...is it lunchtime yet?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2003
    It's all about Hockey Town Baby!
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In Rhode Island they have "New York System Wieners," which are wieners on steamed New England buns, topped with chopped onions, mustard and a special seasoned ground beef (sloppy joe like). They are delicious. As far as I know, there are no New York System Wieners in New York.

True Rhode Islanders also eat "saugys," which are long franks made with real casings (intestines), not the cellulose casings on most modern dogs.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl
    ...slaw (shredded cabbage with a mayo base), onions, and mustard. ...
    I think we get the meaning of (cole)'slaw'......

Now pulled pork...THAT's food....
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian
    when people come visit me in Maine from there the requirement is to bring me hot dogs (and those great red potato's)
    Did the sign issue over the kosher hot dog umbrellas ever get settled in Kennebunk(port?)?

I tend to stay away from hot dogs, as the preservatives upset my stomach. once in awhile, I'll get a craving and go buy some kosher dogs, smother them in french mustard and saurkraut.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2004
    at Lafayette Coney Island, I order two on one minus mustard and a Vernors. These are the best, followed quite closely by the American Coney Island right next door.

http://www.fancymag.com/hotdoglove.html

I've been to Tony Packo's and had their dogs, while good, and chillish, they are not coney dogs.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2006
    skyline chili in cincinnati has good coneys, but they don't put spaghetti on the dog (your thinking of a 3-way), they use chili...

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Blech. Yankee food. Real southerners don't eat that crap. Hot dogs are meant to be tasted, not smothered with icky stuff like bean-laden chili.
    Agreed. However, you can't go wrong with a hot dog poboy.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Our local restaurant, 'Coney Island' has garnered rave reviews and is generally regarded as establishing the benchmark by which the world's hot dog restaurants are measured. Y'all should read some of the reviews:

http://dinesite.com/info/rstrnt-11504/??&t=0

If you're looking for an explosion of eccentric flavors, Coney Island is the place to be. Although limited in selection, the standard Coney Island chilidog has phenomenal texture that is bound to offer a full spectrum of sensations. The well-formulated chili has a snappy taste that creates a sensuous balance with the traditional flavor of the all beef sausage. If your looking to step it up a notch, the addition of cheese to this already exquisite main course will delight even the pickiest pallet.
    Last edited by Maister; 14 Feb 2006 at 11:52 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Did the sign issue over the kosher hot dog umbrellas ever get settled in Kennebunk(port?)?.
    Not sure - I'm about 3.5 hours north of Kennebunk - southern Maine is, like, a different state!

Registered
    May 2002
    There's a coney place up the road that I haven't had a chance to check out yet. I'll swing by at lunch and give a full report after!

Flint coneys > Detroit coneys
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kovacs
    skyline chili in cincinnati has good coneys, but they don't put spaghetti on the dog (your thinking of a 3-way), they use chili...
    Perhaps the most absolutely disgusting thing I have ever seen!

I saw a show on the Food Network filmed at that horrendous place in Cincy. Between the overcooked noodles, fake bean-less chili and morbidly obese customers, I though I was gonna spew.

At times like that, I regretfully find myself hoping for the ascendancy of a totalitarian chef-dictator who would erase all such disgusting "food" aberrations from all of American society. Then I wake up.

(for now) Frozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I agree with DP, coneys in downtwon D are the best. But I went to a coney place on the far eastside once (around Mack/Alter) that was pretty good too....I like my coney with good heaps of beanless chilli and a side of cheese fries.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Nothing like "A regular C dog, rings & an FO" from the Varsity before (or after) a college drinking binge or football game.
    Actually the quality of the food is abysmal, but it's a local tradition that is well-ingrained. And the high quantity of grease helps coat the stomach lining to help with alcohol consumption.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    We have a place in town called "Coney Island," which turned out a decent Coney Dog. I like the ones at A&W too.

Sometimes I just crave a coney dog. Might not be health food buty it is tasty stuff.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I grew up on Coneys in Detroit, and I can never find them anywhere else. My favorite was always the Lafayette Coneys downtown, but there was a spot in the 'burbs just across 8 Mile that was closer to my home and very tasty as well.

I must admit though that in my nearly 20 years in Chicago I've come to love the Maxwell St. Polish (sausage) -- grilled polish sausage in a bun with mustard and grilled onions. They're hard on your breath and your arteries, but wonderful in your mouth.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Mulgrew's in East Dubuque, Illinois. We'd put down a couple foot long Coneys before we would go out and hit the strip clubs...25 years ago.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Hot dogs
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 14 Apr 2014, 4:52 PM
  2. HOT DOGS...Get your hot dogs here!!!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 30 Jan 2006, 12:03 PM
  3. Dogs