Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Protective netting for golf course houses

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Protective netting for golf course houses

Any codes written to address the installation of tall net fences to proptect large homes from wily golf balls?

Jeez, two posts outside the FAC in one day? What's going on with Z?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I can't think of anything specifically other than seeking a variance. Seems like a reasonably justifiable hardship......except that what did they expect....living on a golf course.....especially if I'm playing.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    I used to work for a community that had the most golf holes per capita in the US and all they did was to "advise" the developers to set the homes back 100 feet from the course edge, but had no zoning to require it.

Most courses that had homes on them followed the advise of the 100 ft. setback and most also placed a larger than normal buffer of "rough" between the fairway and yards. Most course developers know not to place homes directly parallel to tee off boxes or directly behind greens.

If you are dumb enough to build your house right on the course you deserve a golf ball through the kitchen window every so often. Zoning can't regulate stupidity.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've never seen any regulations on golf netting. If you have a house on a golf course, it should be considered an assumed risk that the house will occasionally get tattooed.

For a long time, I thought it would be great to live on a golf course. However, considering how many errant shots I hit, Iíve changed my mind.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I've seen regulations for netting at drving ranges, but not for homes located along fairways.

EDIT: Googling around, I found this in the Fairfield, California zoning code. not much.

7. Golf-course interface fencing. On property abutting a golf course or driving range, the Director may authorize the installation of protective netting exceeding the height limit for fences identified in this Section. A Minor Discretionary Review application shall be submitted for Department review prior to installation and a public notice provided as required for a custom home (see Section 25.40.3). The Director, when reviewing the location, height, and design of the netting, shall take into account reasonable concerns regarding both safety and aesthetics.
    "Golf course interface fencing". A new term for your jargon list.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I doubt many who chose to live adjacent to a golf course want their view obstructed by netting. Good design, i.e. eliminating windows, patios, using masonry exterior for 'exposed' areas, heavy landscaping, etc. can greatly reduce the risk, but it is a risk you choose to take.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    The netting I have seen does little to screen the views from the homes and this request came in based upon homeowners' requests of their HOA to allow them.

I like Dan's information and was thinking of having the HOA amend the PUD to add language addressing the Golf course interface fencing issues. Basically something that with a letter from the architecture control committee (ACC) of the _______PUD, the Current Planning Manager (NOT me...) is able to approve the Golf course interface fencing adminsitratively, with the copy of the ACC letter going into the address file.

Easy of us and easy for them. Let the HOA approve them and send it up to us.

Thanks for the help.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My parents have a house on the golf course which they belong to. Their house is set back far enough that golf balls rarely come close to the house. But the balls which do enter the yard keep my parents' own supply of golf balls "up to par."
    One lot of redevelopment prevents a block of sprawl.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Fantasy GOLF
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 22 Jan 2010, 7:57 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Sep 2008, 10:50 AM
  3. Enforcing protective covenants
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 17 Apr 2007, 5:11 PM