Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Wilmington, NC Downtown and Northside in Photos (no 56K)

Registered
    Mar 2005

Wilmington, NC Downtown and Northside in Photos (no 56K)

Downtown Wilmington

The downtown CBD sits on a small bluff overlooking the Cape Fear River and is bounded roughly by Dock Street to the south, Fifth Avenue to the west, Red Cross Street to the north and the river to the west. City Hall, city offices, the New Hanover County Courthouse, Cape Fear Community College and the federal courthouse are all located within downtown Wilmington.

A large pharmaceutical company is constructing its new world HQ at the far north end of downtown, which is relatively undeveloped. A marina, hotel and convention center are also planned for this area just north of Red Cross Street and west of Third Street.

A wooden Riverwalk runs the length of downtown from Red Cross Street to Nun Street. Extensions on both ends will eventually stretch from bridge to bridge. Front Street is the main shopping, dining and entertainment street, and Third Street serves as the main north-south thoroughfare and monumental axis. Second and Water Streets are minor arteries and Second is mostly dominated by parking lots and decks. Market Street is the city's primary east-west arterial. It terminates at the bank of the river.

The foot of Market Street from across the river

The Riverwalk

Front Street (will add some more later this week)

Second Street

Third Street

Northside

The Northside is a historically African-American neighborhood that currently has a large number of vacant and rundown properties. North Fourth Street was once a strong retail corridor, but is now mostly empty storefronts or marginal establishments.

The city and local residents have crafted an ambitious redevelopment plan for the entire area. Taylor Homes, one of the city's most troubled public housing projects, has been demolished and will be redeveloped as a mixed-income communty along Nixon Street. North Fourth Street is seeing the construction of loft condominiums and will soon likely see boutiques and restaurants. It will be within walking distance of the 2000 workers at the new pharmaceutical HQ building, the planned convention center and new hotel. The city's planned multi-modal terminal with eventual rail service to Raleigh will be built on the Northside, between Red Cross and Campbell Streets just east of Third Street.

View toward downtown from the Northside along Third Street

New Wachovia office building just north of downtown

View from Northside down Second Street, part of Cape Fear Community College is on the right

North Fourth Street historic retail corridor

Residential Northside

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Wow...what a nice looking city you got. Very nice.

I'm definitely taking a vacation to the Carolina coastal cities (Wilmington, Myrtle Beach, Charleston) at some point in my life.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Hit Greenville and Wilmington, NC definitely. Charleston and Savannah, absloutely.

Skip Myrtle. There's nothing to see there.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Downtown Wilmington is so sleepy and serine and damn near perfect that I almost had a heart attack when I got out to the massive sprawl around it on the way to Wrightsville Beach.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Here are some more pictures I took today. It is ridulously warm, so everyone was out for lunch:

Central Post Office

Front Street

Princess Street

Main WAVE Transit transfer stop on Second Street (until new multimodal center is built)

Wilmington City Hall/Thalian Hall Performing Arts Center

Looks to be a charming place.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Looks pretty livable. Jmello moved here, didn't he?

I'm surprised how late 19th century/early 20th century/Victorian the town is. I would expect an older architectural fabric. Still lovely, of course.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    I always thought Wilmington was the top of my list of places I'd move if my entire great family wasn't in Richmond.

What's the median home price?

Registered
    Oct 2004
    One of the more interesting facts about Wilmington is that the local community college is located in or within walking distance of downtown. This is very unusual -- community colleges in cities/metro areas the size of Wilmington are almost invariably located in suburban areas. The health of mid-sized cities and their downtowns would have been significantly enhanced if, during the era of the expansion of the community college in the 1960s and 70s, these new schools had been located in city centers...Of course, UNC-Wilmington is located out in the sprawl, as are most of the UNC system campuses, Chapel Hill and Greensboro being the two noteworthy exceptions.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by CosmicMojo
    I always thought Wilmington was the top of my list of places I'd move if my entire great family wasn't in Richmond.

What's the median home price?
    There are decent homes in all price ranges $150,000-$3,000,000. The median in 2005 was $144,600 according to:

http://usatoday.forsalebyowner.com/f...ity%20Profiles

Registered
    Aug 2004

This is North Carolina? Looks a lot like New Jersey or even upstate New York to me, but I'm thoroughly impressed that there is some semblance of urbanity left in a state that's been so completely otherwise taken over by sprawl.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jresta
    Skip Myrtle. There's nothing to see there.
    I heartily disagree with jresta.

We went down to Myrtle Beach this past weekend for outlet shopping and a show at the House of Blues. Downtown Myrtle Beach is as urbanized as Miami Beach and has a similar appearance. The main drag (Ocean Boulevard) has blocks and blocks of eateries, arcades, waterslides, roller coasters, etc. Southern teens cruise endlessly in doped-out Hondas and Scions. The beach ("The Grand Strand") is wide and stretches for 20+ miles with public access at every block. The US 17 Bypass is lined with ridiculous honky tonk attractions on the level of Las Vegas. North Myrtle Beach resembles Palm Beach or Fort Lauderdale. It is a sight to behold. I can only imagine it in the summer.

While Myrtle is definitely not a bastion of black-clad Northeastern liberals or pastel-clad Mid-Atlantic architects, it represents a huge slice of Americana. Want to experience and understand a large segment of our population? Visit the mini-golf courses and waffle houses in Myrtle Beach.
    Last edited by jmello; 27 Feb 2006 at 3:38 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I lived in North Carolina for 4 years and in South Carolina for a year and half. I've been to "the Beach" more times than i care to remember. I was there last summer. I go because i have friends there and friends who have family homes there.

Quote Originally posted by jmello
    I heartily disagree with jresta.

We went down to Myrtle Beach this past weekend for outlet shopping and a show at the House of Blues. Downtown Myrtle Beach is as urbanized as Miami Beach and has a similar appearance.
    "downtown" Myrtle Beach is a handful of disconnected blocks hacked up by 5 lane highways. Sure it has/had potential but it's not the center of anything and, unless things have changed drastically since last summer, is not on anyone's radar. Urban? No one lives there. I think there might be one or two buildings over one floor on Main St. It certainly has none of the charm or even utility (let alone architecture) of Miami Beach.

The main drag (Ocean Boulevard) has blocks and blocks of eateries, arcades, waterslides, roller coasters, etc. Southern teens cruise endlessly in doped-out Hondas and Scions. The beach ("The Grand Strand") is wide and stretches for 20+ miles with public access at every block. The US 17 Bypass is lined with ridiculous honky tonk attractions on the level of Las Vegas. North Myrtle Beach resembles Palm Beach or Fort Lauderdale. It is a sight to behold. I can only imagine it in the summer.
    It's more like Daytona at spring break - 8 months out of the year. It's debauchery from the time the sun goes down until it comes back up in the morning. It's jampacked with testosterone filled Joes and Jarheads from Ft. Bragg and Camp Lejeune who throwdown over nothing. People get shot, stabbed or robbed on a nightly basis. The Strip is more or less like a boardwalk but people drive instead of walk. You definitely don't need to go there to watch southern teens cruising. You can do that in Greenville or Benson/Dunn or Florence and basically any other small city in the Carolinas.

I can't disagree with you that the "bypass" is ridiculous. I'm just not sure that it's a good thing. Biz 17, from the time you cross the intracoastal all the way down to the airport is nothing but a repeating pattern of Wings, Eagles, Waffle House, strip mall, hotel, hardees - repeat.

While places like North Myrtle and Surfside have much nicer residential areas there's nothing inspiring about it. You can't look around and say that the houses are any different than anywhere else in the southeast or that they're historic, or that they're great for walking (they don't even have sidewalks) or that they have great commercial districts. While yankees might be initially intrigued or even enamored by the kitsch or palmetto lined boulevards. When you have to sit in traffic for an hour or more to get from North Myrtle to the airport in the middle of the summer the whole thing becomes a lot less intriguing.

If you want a nice beach town stick with Wrightsville or head further south to Sullivans Island (even Isle of Palms) and Folly Beach. There are plenty of great cities and towns - Asheville, Greenville (NC and SC), Columbia, Charleston, Charlotte, Hickory, etc. - in the Carolinas. Unfortunately there was a bit less vision when it came to Myrtle Beach.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jresta
    If you want a nice beach town stick with Wrightsville or head further south to Sullivans Island (even Isle of Palms) and Folly Beach. There are plenty of great cities and towns - Asheville, Greenville (NC and SC), Columbia, Charleston, Charlotte, Hickory, etc. - in the Carolinas. Unfortunately there was a bit less vision when it came to Myrtle Beach.
    As I said above, I disagree with you. These places are not mutually exclusive. One can visit Asheville and also Myrtle Beach without the fear of self-destruction. Simply visiting Myrtle Beach is not a tacit acceptance of all that is wrong with it as a place.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I love the Cape FEAR Community College. Nice little town. I saw a retaining wall under a tree I'd very much like to sit on.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 18 Aug 2008, 9:32 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Apr 2007, 3:51 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 28 Feb 2006, 3:55 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 21 Feb 2006, 8:58 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 Sep 2004, 3:07 PM