Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Small hotels

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005

Small hotels

Can anybody point me in a direction where I can find good examples of small hotels in a downtown setting. The following qualities or characteristics would be desirable:

Minimal or no setbacks
    Underground parking
    Strong Street Presence
    Cottage feel
    Tudor, Craftsman, or Victorian Style
    Quality Design (Detailing and Articulation)
    Variety of Materials Used

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I have a good example of a small hotel in a National Historic District..its brand new but is beautiful..I will get a pic tommorrow and post it...its a Country Inn and Suites..may want to try googling the name and see what you get..the one I am referring to is in St. Charles, Missouri.
    It has underground parking, is set right up on the street...its a great hotel, not doing THAT well at the moment bt architecturally its beautiful.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    I have a good example of a small hotel in a National Historic District..its brand new but is beautiful..I will get a pic tommorrow and post it...its a Country Inn and Suites..may want to try googling the name and see what you get..the one I am referring to is in St. Charles, Missouri.
    It has underground parking, is set right up on the street...its a great hotel, not doing THAT well at the moment bt architecturally its beautiful.
    http://www.morganshotelgroup.com/

Registered
    Jul 1998
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Detroit's Hilton Garden Inn at Harmonie Park. - Post Modern

http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en...tyhocn=DETDHGI

Detroit Milner Arms Hotel at Harmonie Park

http://www.milner-hotels.com/detroit.html - Old Style, does not fit styles mentioned (best a very tall brownstone?) but worthy a look.

Also check out Mackinac Island Michigan, a tonn of victorian cottage hotels from the 1800's.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2001
    There is a new one in Middleton, Wisconsin, that was constructed as part of a massive downtown redevelopment project. I think it is a Staybridge. Beloit, Wisconsin also has a new hotel in their downtown which received some positive recognition. Both of these are communities of 30-40,000 people.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Any pre-war shore town is going to be littered with these things, if they haven't been torn down or converted to apartments or condos by now.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    This one is almost done being refurbished and restored, including the hand operated elevator.

The Gladstone
    http://www.gladstonehotel.com/

Only thing, no undeerground parking, pretty much everything else you are looking for.

In the same block

http://www.thedrakehotel.ca/home.asp

No parking, and style is more modern than what you want.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003

Crittenden Hotel in Coudersport, PA

The Crittenden is centred on a historic downtown area. It's at 2nd and Main, which is the geographic centre of the borough. Across the intersection is the courthouse.

Among other things, parking is on the street or in a lot behind all the buildings in an alley, or in angle on-street parking a few blocks away. (I used to live at 6 2nd St and parking was, surprisingly, never a problem.) The streetscape was very nice and the bar provided plenty of pedestrian traffic to the building.

Of course, Coudersport's lack of suburbs probably helped the area. Downtown or close to it was the "trendy" place to live, with housing outside the borough either being cheap trailer type places or expensive high-acreage hobby farms.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    1840s Linden Row Inn in downtown Richmond, Virginia

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Bad Hotels
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 26 Jan 2011, 10:38 PM
  2. Hotels at universities
    Land Use and Zoning