Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Luna Real Estate: can this possibly be real?

Registered
    Nov 2004

Luna Real Estate: can this possibly be real?

They claim it is: http://www.lunarregistry.com/info/why_buy.shtml

Although several organizations offer lunar property for sale via the Internet, only The Lunar Registry and its international affiliates have been officially authorized by the Lunar Republic Society to sell land claims on the Moon's surface in order to provide funds for its lunar exploration program. When selecting a company from which to purchase lunar property, we recommend that you review these frequently asked questions about The Lunar Registry and our competitors.
    We don't falsely claim that we own the Moon. Instead, we have developed and implemented a program through which you, your family, or your business enterprise can legally claim ownership of property on the Moon. This system of land claims is internationally recognized by space law experts as the best method for insuring private property rights, developing a sustainable infrastructure, and obtaining the financial capital needed to take the next giant step toward a lunar economy.
    I don't believe them, though. How can anyone truly have legal claim over property on the moon? If there truly is a way, though, I would like to become the world's first "Lunar Planner"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jread
    How can anyone truly have legal claim over property on the moon?
    Easy, they said so. If someone doesn't believe it, just send them the money and they will give you a very official looking deed in exchange.

By the way jread, I have invested heavily in air and atmosphere futures and reliable sources inform me that you are currently breathing oxygen that I happen to own. I believe you owe me $14.27 in usage fees.....

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Easy, they said so. If someone doesn't believe it, just send them the money and they will give you a very official looking deed in exchange.

By the way jread, I have invested heavily in air and atmosphere futures and reliable sources inform me that you are currently breathing oxygen that I happen to own. I believe you owe me $14.27 in usage fees.....

LOL! You must provide me a jurisdiction map so that I can see for myself.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jread
    LOL! You must provide me a jurisdiction map so that I can see for myself.
    I would, but you see the air is rather fluid in nature and moves around alot. Trust me those oxygen molecules in your lungs are my property. Notice how good you feel right now? Guess what, only Maister quality air provides that sort of benefit. what more proof does one need?

And that goes for everyone else who feels good right now. I cornered the market on all the high quality oxygen. Just send your cash, checks, credit/debit card #s to me (we can discuss financing and payment plans too).
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I would, but you see the air is rather fluid in nature and moves around alot. Trust me those oxygen molecules in your lungs are my property. Notice how good you feel right now? Guess what, only Maister quality air provides that sort of benefit. what more proof does one need?

And that goes for everyone else who feels good right now. I cornered the market on all the high quality oxygen. Just send your cash, checks, credit/debit card #s to me (we can discuss financing and payment plans too).
    Hahah!!

Are you responsible for any allergens in said air? The Cedar Pollen is killing me at the moment (though I must compliment you on some damn fine air otherwise). I'll give you your money but I want a pollen discount.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Humankind has a long history of shady real estates deals. The Louisiana Purchase, for example. Essentially we bought France's claim to this land. Land the French just claimed was theirs to give, through a gentleman's agreement with England and Spain. They divided up the continent without regard to the occupancy of another people. After we "purchased" the land, we had to negotiate with the occupants of the land to get their "title". This is land that the occupants claimed was theirs because they probably took it from someone else. And so on.

I live in a city that started with four mining claims, then expanded into a city. The Blackfeet and other tribes who used this land got not penny one through these real estate transactions.

The land belongs to whoever can hold on to it and defend that claim either through force or law.

I guess they can sell lunar property if they wish and if anyone is stupid enough to buy it, let the buyer beware. How much is airless, waterless, barren and virtually inaccessible property worth?
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2004
    seems legitimate in a certain sense. Though you shuold be able to file a claim without paying them anything. As otterpop pointed out- the history of humankind is complete with lots of examples of similar activities.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Do the terms lunar and lunatic have a common ancestor?
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    May 2005
    San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico
    I want a refund, Maister... this high-priced air i'm breathing is 78% nitrogen! What IS it with companies and cheap fillers these days?

Registered
    May 2003
    Land from the Imperial period (starting with the Line of Demarcation) onward was divided among European nations by a network of treaties. Granted, local populations were more or less ignored in most of these treaties but they were recognized by anyone with enough guns and ships to matter.

In the United States, it was common for early settlers to simply move onto land that was owned by the US Government but hadn't yet been surveyed or subdivided. But those farmers were essentially squatters until the homestead laws were established.

All the homestead laws required that the buyers actually inhabit and improve the land they bought, though, for it to be legal.

There currently exists an international treaty on space ownership, the 1967 Outer Space Treaty, which bans all countries from making claims in space.

So these claims are bogus.

Registered
    Oct 2001

I expect a JAWS post any second now backing up your claims. There is ONLY private property and free markets, after all. Prepare to pay Maister, Capitalist Pioneer.

I myself wonder about the International Star Registry, which runs ads continuosly on AM Radio (the graveyard of scams). Who, except your family, would call a given point of light "Maister's Star"?

Claims to property made by force are illegitimate. Homesteading is the only way to create new property. For example nobody can own the moon or moon land, but if someone were to send a crew and start a mining operation, they would own the mine and its mineral deposits since it was their investments that made the resource productive.

The same thing is true for earth land. You can't own the air since it is not invested in. You can own land because it has been transformed through investment into either farmland or urban land. You don't have a claim to a sphere of space, but to a specific material property that happens to be immobile.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hitchhiker
    I want a refund, Maister... this high-priced air i'm breathing is 78% nitrogen! What IS it with companies and cheap fillers these days?
    We certainly can't have any unsatisfied customers can we? Tell you what, return your used atmosphere to our corporate office for a full refund and I personally guarantee I will provide a free tank, gas mask and one hour's worth of PURE nitrogen. That's right, NO fillers! I promise after an hour breathing our highest quality fresh, pure nitrogen you will never be unhappy with my products again.

We'll gladly do the same for anyone else having complaints! We take pride in customer service!

Quote Originally posted by jaws
    Claims to property made by force are illegitimate. Homesteading is the only way to create new property.
    Depends at what scale we're talking about. On a clan/moiety/tribe/nation/state level 'right by conquest' is perhaps the oldest and most recognized method of legitimizing land ownership around.

Not necessarily the most ethical mind you....
    Last edited by Maister; 15 Feb 2006 at 9:15 AM.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Getting a job in real estate development
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Apr 2012, 2:38 PM
  2. NYU masters in real estate
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 12:18 AM
  3. You… the real estate developer?
    Friday Afternoon Club