Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: White House spokesman Scott McClellan - What a lying, brownnosing piece of crap.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan - What a lying, brownnosing piece of crap.

So White House spokesman Scott McClellan is answering questions about the Cheney shooting this morning, trying to skirt around the reporters tough questions about the circumstances of the shooting and Harry Whittington’s injuries. During the entire conference, in typical Bush-cheerleading fashion, he is downplaying the issue as much as possible in that annoying manner that he is becoming famous for.

But what the reporters didn't know - but what McClellan did allegedly know at that time - was that Whittington had just had a heart attack. McClellan, in his typical manner of circumventing any question that could make Bush look like an a$$ (which is often) did not share this new information with reporters. This takes all his answers and comments that day beyond the usual realm of typical spin and half-truth and makes McClellan an outright liar. As the reporters pressed on (still unaware of the heart attack), McClellan, in that irritating nasally voice, kept insisting that “we move on” to something else, perhaps knowing how much uglier things were about to get once the reporters knew the full story.

Later, when asked why he did not relay this breaking news to the reporters at the press conference, lily-livered yes-man McClellan stated that he felt uncomfortable breaking "doctor-patient privilege"

What a moron. If you've ever listened to McClellan speak at White House press conferences, you have no doubt noticed that all his comments and replies always come pre-packaged, peppered with Dilbert-management style Bushspeak, and always downplaying the latest bungling that the Bush Administration is being called to the carpet on. (Iraq, big oil, FEMA, Katrina, etc). McClellan has never answered question directly or truthfully, only putting the typical Bush-style spin on it. He has perfected this circumvention to such a degree that it almost seems that Bush himself is up there speaking. A Bush "Mini Me" of sorts. His blatant contempt for reporters is mind-boggling.

But today’s debacle is a new low even for McClellan and the White House. Deliberately withholding key information about the condition of someone injured directly at hands of the vice-President and then lying to reporters, knowing full well that his condition had just made a drastic turn for the worse, makes him completely unworthy of being a liaison for the American Public. Especially considering how much the administration had been downplaying the buckshot injuries all along. But then again, given how criminally incompetent the Bush Administration is, I guess he fits the part of White House spokesperson just fine.

Yet with this latest development, McClellan has finally proved for all to see that he really is just about the lowest form of life within the administration. For he has the degrading job of putting positive spin on all the carnage that has been caused by Bush and his cronies. A true yes-man if there ever was one, today’s press conference shows once and for all that his sole job is too pull the wool over the public's eyes. And to cover-up Bush’s incompetence no matter what the costs. Indeed McClellan is so blatantly and obviously a Bush brown-noser and outright liar that, one would have to be a complete moron not to see through that.

McClellan is hardly the worst liar, he's just the one on TV the most often. There's a whole apparatus of think tanks and government agencies in place to convincingly lie to people.

McClellan does come across as evasive -- even if that is part and parcel of the job, he seems covered in it.

I find it interesting that Cheney himself hasn't spoken publicly about this mess.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Apr 2003
    If the information had been verified as fact by that point, then I think that he should have included that information.

Beyond that, I think that all administrations, regardless of the party, never fully discloses the information and tries to hide things.

For example, Bill Clinton personally going on national TV saying that he did not have “Sexual Relations with that woman” when in fact the opposite was true.

Neither party is perfect when it comes to conveying information to the public.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Bill Clinton personally going on national TV saying that he did not have “Sexual Relations with that woman” when in fact the opposite was true.
    Yeah, but what Bill Clinton did was not illegal. What Cheney did was illegal. Big difference. I need to know about elected officials breaking the law while in office. I don't really want to know about their private sex life as unsavory as it may be.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Neither party is perfect when it comes to conveying information to the public.
    That depends on what the definition of "is" is.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by CosmicMojo
    Yeah, but what Bill Clinton did was not illegal. What Cheney did was illegal. Big difference. I need to know about elected officials breaking the law while in office. I don't really want to know about their private sex life as unsavory as it may be.
    Adultery is also illegal. Clinton’s act was an intentional act and he intentionaly lying about it. Cheney’s case was an accident. The sheriffs department was contacted immediately. No one has ever denied that Cheney shot the guy. As for the gap in time before the press found out, big freaking deal. 24 hours latter. There was no cover up and all the information is available to the public. Why is it that the sheriff’s department did not call up the press on their way to the scene? Or how about the hospital?

How long was it before Ted Kennedy’s Manslaughter case made national news?

Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    That depends on what the definition of "is" is.

Smart A$$
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Off-topic:
    I don't understand. Nowhere did you use the word "liver"?
    Last edited by Planderella; 15 Feb 2006 at 9:44 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I don't understand. Nowhere did you use the word "liver"?
    His liver was too inebriated at the time.
    Last edited by Planderella; 15 Feb 2006 at 9:44 AM.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    McClellan is a douche-bag!

Second only to Bush on my list of people I cannot stand listening to.

They both have the most annoying voices and tones.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN LISTENING TO THAT HOWDY DOODY KROFT BROTHERS MARIONNETTE IN THE WHITE HOUSE ARE WATCHING THOSE TWO HORRIBLY-DRESSED SHRILL-MEISTERS ON THE TV GUIDE CHANNEL GOSSIPPING ABOUT DUMB TV SHOWS. PUT PENCILS IN MY EYES NOW!!!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    7 Posts
    His liver was too inebriated at the time.
    9 Posts.

That is Michaelskis' Law in an average of 8 posts for this one...

McClellan strikes me as more devious and coniving than my first girlfriend.
    Frankly, that scares this cynic.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    He is such a weasel. It is kind of fun to watch him. He looks so uncomfortable all the time, even though for the most part the chicken-s**t reporters throw softballs. He knows he is full of s**t and his boss is even fuller of it, but he still has to do his duty.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2003
    ^-- Reporters who ask hard questions aren't allowed to ask any more questions.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    May 2003

All True!

McClennan is up against inexorable forces; trying to place a positive "spin" on the arrogance and ineptitude requires some adept footwork. I think, too he's dealing with an awakened press corp who managed to sleep for the last 4 years...

Registered
    Nov 2005
    i feel bad for him. he probably has the worst job ever.

Registered
    Dec 2005

Smart A$$
    IMO, comparing the media's response to that event from 35+ years ago (to be sure, a horrific act of unforgiveable recklessness that forever mars Kennedy's legacy-no matter which side of the political fence you reside, that's the truth) to how this recent Cheney incident was disclosed doesn't work for the sake of argument.
    What report/alert occuring in 1969 could have possibly become public knowledge in as fast and furious a manner as now?
    And this is in no way condoning driving while intoxicated...but at that time lets say Ted Kennedy or any public official was driving drunk and instead of the passenger dying, there was an acciden, the car went into the lake, and the person got banged up but not fatally - injuries perhaps akin to getting peppered in the face with birdshot. Back then, you could actually tell a cop you had been drinking, it was late, you just wanted to get home, blah blah blah and they may well have let you get off with nary a citation! And even if they did cite him, it would have hardly made news as it would now. Political affiliation likely would not have made a difference in how it was covered, either.
    How would that play now, a scenario where it wasn't fatal but the public official was drinking? It would be breaking news, a scandal demanding outcry, and it would have been reported as quickly as feasible.
    The story here is that Cheney is handling this as he handles many matters:
    "f--- off, this is none of your concern, and this is a waste of my time" is the gist he's conveying, as he has with the torturing of detainees, the back room deals with utility company heads concerning public energy policy, the wiretapping issue, you know, stuff where the public's right to know is not only justified its ESSENTIAL; being that Cheney is charged with an oath concerning the upholding of that pesky US Constitution.
    No, of course this non-fatal incident on private property isn't the same as those issues I just cited...but we are seeing what shines through here.
    If he or even someone from his team would have at least contacted the press and perhaps done it within 2 or 3 hours as opposed to this getting out because the property owner decided to call the authorities the next morning, I certainly wouldn't have thought it an item worth my time. Instead, its come to Cheney's team versus Bush's team on how to spin this, and McClellan yammering on, answering White House press corps questions with either non-answers or with those little "ad hominem" rejoinders. Not only is his schtick the most tired act in White House Spokesperson history, McClellan is showing that about the only thing he's adept at is making things worse on himself.
    Last edited by Planderella; 15 Feb 2006 at 2:07 PM. Reason: Quote tags fixed.

Registered
    Apr 2003

Oh please... give me a break

Quote Originally posted by aargo23
    The story here is that Cheney is handling this as he handles many matters:
    "f--- off, this is none of your concern, and this is a waste of my time" is the gist he's conveying, as he has with the torturing of detainees, the back room deals with utility company heads concerning public energy policy, the wiretapping issue, you know, stuff where the public's right to know is not only justified its ESSENTIAL; being that Cheney is charged with an oath concerning the upholding of that pesky US Constitution.
    No, of course this non-fatal incident on private property isn't the same as those issues I just cited...but we are seeing what shines through here.
    If he or even someone from his team would have at least contacted the press and perhaps done it within 2 or 3 hours as opposed to this getting out because the property owner decided to call the authorities the next morning, I certainly wouldn't have thought it an item worth my time. Instead, its come to Cheney's team versus Bush's team on how to spin this, and McClellan yammering on, answering White House press corps questions with either non-answers or with those little "ad hominem" rejoinders. Not only is his schtick the most tired act in White House Spokesperson history, McClellan is showing that about the only thing he's adept at is making things worse on himself.
    What aspects of details of this are still left to talk about? A guy was shot by another guy in a hunting accident. We know how it happened, why it happened, what happened after it, and what is going on now. It happened about 3:30pm on Saturday and the press published reports about 24 hours latter. The hospital and police both knew what happened and any one of them could have said something to the press. And yes, the Sheriff’s department was contacted right after it happened.

I don’t see how this can still be such big news.

Let me ask you this, how the press not publishing it for 24 hours F’ed up your life? Do you have something that sends breaking news to your phone so you know everything as soon as possible? Would this event have changed what you did on Saturday night or Sunday during the day?

When did you learn about this? Sunday or sometime on Monday? I know I personally have better things to do with my time on a weekend. I did not hear it until Monday morning when I was listening to the news on my way to work.

Do I think that McClellan is good at his job? No, I don’t, but what I do think is this whole Cheney accidentally shooting someone in a hunting accident nothing for you to get all up set about.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    Adultery is also illegal
    Not in Washington DC. States rights and all, you know.

Anytime someone mentions Chappiquidik (sp?), I"m obligated to note that first lady Laura Bush killed her best friend in an auto accident and got away scott free. She wasn't even charged with manslaughter the way Kennedy was. You wanna talk about sweet deals for rich guys' kids, you look at Laura Bush and the girl she killed, and how it was covered up.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Off-topic:
    Not in Washington DC. States rights and all, you know.
    Welcome to the District of Columbia!
    § 22-201. Adultery Definition and penalty.

Whoever commits adultery in the District shall, on conviction thereof, be punished by a fine not exceeding $500, or by imprisonment not exceeding 180 days, or both; and when the act is committed between a married person and a person who is unmarried both parties to such act shall be deemed guilty of adultery.
    Anytime someone mentions Chappiquidik (sp?), I"m obligated to note that first lady Laura Bush killed her best friend in an auto accident and got away scott free. She wasn't even charged with manslaughter the way Kennedy was. You wanna talk about sweet deals for rich guys' kids, you look at Laura Bush and the girl she killed, and how it was covered up.
    Was she a senator or even married to George Bush at the time? Was she speeding? Was she drinking?

She states that she was doing about 50 in a 55 when she ran a stop sign. She had turned 17 two says before and not a senator nor was she married. Her and a female friend were in fact on their way to a party, and not from a party, when they ran a stop sign and broad sided and killed Michael Douglas, an ex-boyfriend of hers (not a girl).

It is a shame that an accident happened and someone was killed. But at that time Laura Welch was a the typical popular 17 year old girl, who happened to have run a stop sign in a 55 MPH Zone. At the time that Kennedy killed his passenger, Mary Jo Kopechne, he was a senator, was driving drunk on his way back from a party, had a history of reckless driving to the point that he had is license suspended only 5 months before the accident but that had been “corrected”

He never even called the police after the accident, and tried to hide it when he was told that his car was found by a couple of fishermen.

As requested by Planderella and I apologize, I don’t think that McClellan is that good, and I think that the it would be much better if the Bush administration found someone much better.
    Last edited by michaelskis; 15 Feb 2006 at 4:51 PM.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Moderator note:
    This thread is on a downward spiral. What began as a discussion of McClellan and his abilities (or lack thereof) as a White House spokesperson is now turning into another tit-for-tat discussion about whose "favorite" political party member had the lesser crimes. Either post to the original topic at hand or start another thread. Thanks.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    I also apologize for getting off-track a bit on this thread. With McClellan, it's tough to stay on course since he's the mouthpiece for day-to-day Bush Administration business, and for this poster, it has been bad business.

I'll say this: haven't forgotten McClellan's promise (back when the story broke) that if someone in the administration leaked Valerie Plame's cover to Robert Novak, they would be punished. I know hates being reminded of that one...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    An accidental shooting is illegal? What planet are you on? If the fellow dies then that does change matters, but that has not happened.
    Last edited by abrowne; 15 Feb 2006 at 9:07 PM.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I refuse to even read this b/c it is probably nothing more than a bunch of liberal kooks trying to take advantage of the fact that some dude snuck up on the veep while bird hunting?

While I've always felt that you should identify the target b4 you pull the trigger...bird hunting is down right dangerous.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    An accidental shooting is illegal? What planet are you on?
    The Vice President didn't have a hunting license.
    Dat illegal

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Whoops APA moves the White House
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 Mar 2012, 10:20 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 12 Nov 2008, 5:53 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 18 Jul 2003, 10:50 PM