Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Job search in a different part of the country

Registered
    Aug 2005

Job search in a different part of the country

i'm currently in grad school in new orleans. i will graduate in either summer or winter 06. while i like new orleans and would enjoy staying here for some reasons, i ultimately would like to return to the Northeast and the upstate NY area.

does anyone have any suggestions for job hunting in a different region than one is currently in?

i routinely cruise the APA chapter sites for the states/areas i am interested in.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    You may also want to cruise the local chapter's websites as well as local municipalities you want to work for.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    note on your resume that your current address (in New Orleans, that is) on your resume as "temporary" and use a local address (if possible, friend/family) as your "local" address

it makes you look more serious about moving - when I see out of state addresses on a resume they get field in a "maybe file"/second string pile regardless of how good they look - people look for convenience in seeking employees, people that can start and get going going quickly, or in the case of recent grads, someone committed to looking in the area and not doing a "resume splat" across the country

good luck!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    You may also want to cruise the local chapter's websites as well as local municipalities you want to work for.
    You can also use the APA consultant directory and ads in the back of Planning magazine to find area firms.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Expanding on Luckless Pedestrian's comment, you could also indicate in your cover letter that you are seeking to relocate (or return to) to the area. If you've lived in the community or even county or region where you are applying for a job, you should mention that as well. Good luck!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    thanks for the tips.

i had wondered if some managers/HR people were less likely to seriously consider out-of-state applicants because of the logistics, etc. thanks for the tip about the "temporary" address.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    If you attend the APA conferences, be sure to network as much as you can, especially if you go to division meetings or socials. Also, try to join some listservs. The more people you know outside of New Orleans, or wherever you are, the better your chances are to get the scoop on job openings, etc. Sometimes the best jobs are hardly ever advertised.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Feb 2006
    Where can one find some good Planning Listservs?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian
    note on your resume that your current address (in New Orleans, that is) on your resume as "temporary" and use a local address (if possible, friend/family) as your "local" address

it makes you look more serious about moving - when I see out of state addresses on a resume they get field in a "maybe file"/second string pile regardless of how good they look - people look for convenience in seeking employees, people that can start and get going going quickly, or in the case of recent grads, someone committed to looking in the area and not doing a "resume splat" across the country

good luck!
    I have never thought of that before. What is the best way to indicate that? Should I say "Temporary Address" and then list my address or should I say "willing to relocate" after my address?
    Trying to get my grubby hands on as much stimulus money as I can.:D

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Transpo-Planner
    Where can one find some good Planning Listservs?
    Look at the individual APA State Chapter websites.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by gicarto
    I have never thought of that before. What is the best way to indicate that? Should I say "Temporary Address" and then list my address or should I say "willing to relocate" after my address?

I wouldn't say willing to relocate, if you do not have a local address for the employer to send mail to (and show you are serious about moving), then put on the top of your resume as a goal the following:

Goal: to seek employment as a ____________ in the town/city/county/state of ___________.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The search for D B Cooper
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 23 Jan 2012, 11:05 AM
  2. A few questions about my job search
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Jul 2009, 6:00 PM
  3. What happened to search?
    Cyburbia Issues and Help