Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: PhD Apps?

Registered
    Feb 2006

PhD Apps?

I've seen many posts on applications for master's programs, but did anyone apply for PhD programs? If so, have you heard anything yet?

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by CDC
    I've seen many posts on applications for master's programs, but did anyone apply for PhD programs? If so, have you heard anything yet?
    Hey, glad to hear from you! I was getting lonely. I have applied to a few schools. I am in at Ohio State and waiting on two others -- word should be coming soon! You??

Registered
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally posted by timbucktwo
    Hey, glad to hear from you! I was getting lonely. I have applied to a few schools. I am in at Ohio State and waiting on two others -- word should be coming soon! You??
    Hurrah, I'm not the only one! I've applied to four schools and have yet to hear anything from any of them - and only one posts anything on the web. I'm not holding out too much hope for two of the programs, but think I may have a snowball's prayer at the other two. I've noticed that a couple of people have heard from the Master's programs at at least one of the schools I applied to, and am wondering if the PhD application process takes longer? Any thoughts on the matter?

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Kinda off-topic but what are you two planning to do with your Ph.D.'s? I would like to go this route someday (maybe after retirement, not sure) but I don't know if I would want to teach or go into more of a research area. I have heard that a Ph.D. can actually be harmful in the regular working world because it can over qualify you for many jobs. Any truth to this?
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jread
    Kinda off-topic but what are you two planning to do with your Ph.D.'s? I would like to go this route someday (maybe after retirement, not sure) but I don't know if I would want to teach or go into more of a research area. I have heard that a Ph.D. can actually be harmful in the regular working world because it can over qualify you for many jobs. Any truth to this?
    I am not sure if this is proven, but the joke, probably the realistic joke, is that your earnings start dropping again with a PhD!

As for me, I plan to teach in an university. Easier said than done!

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmmm....

I noticed that post secondary education PhD's will be the number 3 most needed of future job categories.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm hoping to go into research and/or policy. As much as I enjoy the practice of planning (and I really do), I miss working with more theoretical issues and overarching themes that feed into the practice. I'm hoping that it won't be harmful when it comes to finding gainful post-education employment, but if it is...I lead an inexpensive life.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by CDC
    I'm hoping to go into research and/or policy. As much as I enjoy the practice of planning (and I really do), I miss working with more theoretical issues and overarching themes that feed into the practice. I'm hoping that it won't be harmful when it comes to finding gainful post-education employment, but if it is...I lead an inexpensive life.
    It is a tough choice for sure. I wonder how hard it is to get a position in a think tank/research type organization. I'm meeting with the graduate advisor Monday to talk about it a little more.

My neighbor is finishing up a Ph.D. in Political Science so I talked to her a little about it last night. She said that if you're in a Ph.D. program and you don't plan on becoming part of academia, then you should never say it in front of anyone in the program. It's looked down upon from what I gather. I guess it is hard with the Ph.D. because you have to work so closely with the faculty members of the university. You're pretty much at their mercy and they can make your life miserable if they so desire.
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Registered
    Feb 2006
    It is a tough choice for sure. I wonder how hard it is to get a position in a think tank/research type organization. I'm meeting with the graduate advisor Monday to talk about it a little more.

My neighbor is finishing up a Ph.D. in Political Science so I talked to her a little about it last night. She said that if you're in a Ph.D. program and you don't plan on becoming part of academia, then you should never say it in front of anyone in the program. It's looked down upon from what I gather. I guess it is hard with the Ph.D. because you have to work so closely with the faculty members of the university. You're pretty much at their mercy and they can make your life miserable if they so desire.
    Those are some of the concerns I'm facing. I wouldn't mind being in academia, and there are many parts of it that I think I'd enjoy (I loved, for example, tutoring a couple of my classmates through legal aspects, among other things). I feel, however, that my real strengths are in the analytical and research areas - in which case I'd love to work at a research or policy institute. There just seem to be so many things going on (such as the need to do more coordination between the different aspects of planning) that really require more of an understanding of how things work than I got in my master's program.

Still waiting with crossed fingers, though, so it may be a moot point.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I applied to 5 PhD planning departments, only have heard back from one thus far (Illinois - admitted).

Registered
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally posted by bocian
    I applied to 5 PhD planning departments, only have heard back from one thus far (Illinois - admitted).
    Congrats on Illinois!

Waiting is such fun, isn't it?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Top 10 apps every planner must have
    Information Technology
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 10 Jul 2014, 2:52 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 24 Sep 2012, 8:00 AM
  3. GIS Crappy apps
    Information Technology