Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zoning language for medical marijuana dispensing

Registered
    Jan 2006

Zoning language for medical marijuana dispensing

Hey all,

This next project I am working on is another ordinance similar to my Adult Oriented Business Ordinance. We are looking at a Medical Marijuana Dispensing Zone Ordinance. Has anyone else done this before? We are thinking of restricting it to certain zones and buffering it from schools. Not sure, let me know what ya'll think. Thanks.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

take it to the design review board!

Classic - I love it - only in California!

New England is so boring -

but really, good luck - let us know where this ends up -

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    why not treat it as what it is in California--a medical office use, no different than dispensing any other drug?

Registered
    Jan 2006
    We are thinking of having them but in pharmacies, but not quite sure about that just yet. There have been a significant amount of robberies at pharmacies (particular in our area: Calif-Southern San Joaquin Valley), we're not so sure yet.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Maybe try doing a search for zoning and methadone clinics and tailoring it to your area's perception of medical marijuana?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    Definitely not an issue in Virginia.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Hmm how can you have zoning ordinances when this stuff is sold by young hoodlooms driving around in cars and not confined to one site?

I usually just call the cops on em, and they disappear, along with their suburban buyers.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2005
    ***it could be a floating zone***

should be close to food services for obvious reasons -

okay, i'm sorry - but you have to admit, it is funny! no?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jase2244
    We are thinking of having them but in pharmacies, but not quite sure about that just yet. There have been a significant amount of robberies at pharmacies (particular in our area: Calif-Southern San Joaquin Valley), we're not so sure yet.
    Isn't it safe to assume that there will be some robberies in such an establishment? Why do you need an ordinance anyway? I would think that a medical office would cover it. With all of the HIPA laws, protections would already be in place to screen children from hearing the word, or seeing the stuff. Do they actually administer the marijuana at these places, or do they just fill prescriptions?

Anyone know where they get the people who rep medical marijuana?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Check with the city of Santa Cruz CA. I think they have one.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Its a pharmacy basically. Why does there need to be a special zone? They distribute morphine at pharmacies. Not sure why the bubonic chronic is worse than that.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by gkmo62u
    why not treat it as what it is in California--a medical office use, no different than dispensing any other drug?
    Too rational.

1. The feds still believe that such an approach would somehow unleash a horde of mongrel Reefer Madness Zombies on the world.

2. There have been "issues" with some clubs in certain Bay Area cities verging on, shall we say, recreational use dispensaries.

We have adopted a moratorium until the case law is a little more settled and there is more definitive guidance out there. A classic example of federal versus state conflict.

As for "Only in California," there are I beleive, several states that have adopted such legislation. .

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Why not check with the City of Vancouver, Canada? Maybe they have some sort of zoning codes for the needle exchange centres, which could be treated similarly. It could be also what they term as "small-scale pharmacy", although according to their def'n in their bylaw, it only makes reference to floor area.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Amsterdam, I'm sure there are restrictions on where a "Coffee Shop" can locate.

Do we have anyone from the Netherlands on Cyburbia. There may be a language issue.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian
    Classic - I love it - only in California! New England is so boring.
    Not really. Rhode Island planners will be dealing with the same issue soon enough.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007
    Any new developments on this front?

Dispensaries have come to my fair community and I've defined them similarly to pharmacies. Therefore, as long as they locate in commercial zones, there are no land use issues. Am I goofy? Are there any land use concerns?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    actually - they are in Maine, so once again, I eat my words and now have to deal with this - so, uh, where did this end up? bakery? (sorry, this is going to be a tough project to work on with a straight face...)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Could check with Breckenridge, CO -
    may become the Amsterdam of the Rockies, thanks to a new local ordinance that decriminalizes small amounts of marijuana
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/13/tr...3journeys.html

HEADLINE: First pot dispensary opens on Main Street, Breckenridge
    http://www.summitdaily.com/article/2...ntProfile=1055
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2007
    The City of Arcata has some great zoning language. It has been implemented and now is becoming a model for other cities throughout the state. A recent article in the sacbee discuss how the industry has grown:

Article:
    http://www.sacbee.com/topstories/story/2393043-p2.html

Zoning regs:
    http://www.cityofarcata.org/sites/de...rticle%204.pdf

It is codified as section 9.42.105.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    May 2005
    Check out the City of Grand Rapids, MI. They're dealing with it right now.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Off-topic:
    Reminds me of a VERY oldE post where Dan was studying to take his AICP exam and asking what zoning district methadone clinics should be in. Wow. That's oldE.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007
    Wouldn't you know it? I've been expecting to be told to develop the zoning and what I get is, "Never mind! We ain't touching this!" We'll see how long that lasts.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Here's a recent article about a pot restaurant in Denver - now it's starting to get sticky! (sorry, had to)

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-ganja-...,3216873.story

Ganja Gourmet becomes first marijuana restaurant to open
    Restaurant operators claim it's first of its kind anywhere
    Julie Hayden, reporter KDVR Denver
    12:27 PM MST, December 10, 2009

DENVER - A new restaurant on Broadway in downtown Denver claims it is the first of its kind... anywhere. Ganja Gourmet serves food items laced with marijuana. And not just brownies. This place has all kinds of different dishes made with pot sprinkled in.

When voters legalized medical marijuana in Colorado in 2000, it's not certain if this is exactly what they had in mind.

Ganja Gourmet claims to be the first of it's kind, serving up more than just brownies. Dishes include lasagna, gourmet pizza, jambalaya, paella, even chocolate mousse and cheesecakes.

And it's legal.

"Do you have your medical marijuana card, that's the first thing we would ask," said Steve Horowitz of Ganja Gourmet.

That card gets you into Ganja Gourmet. You have to have it to belly up to the "bud" bar, as in marijuana bud. "We'd like them to come sit at the bar and give us their order, bring the food to them," Horowitz said.

Evan is the pastry chef. "When I had my back surgery in 2001 when it (medical marijuana) was offered up to me as an option smoking it wasn't an option so I figured I'd cook with it."

The menu is extensive. "Lasagnas, hummus, and pizzas. But we also serve deserts like cheesecakes and a New York treat we call Almond Horns which are fantastic."

The food laced with marijuana isn't cheap. A brownie is $10. A dozen lemon meringue tartlets cost $120.

Horowitz says he's owned the building at 18th and Broadway that houses Ganja Gourmet for more than 12 years, He used to make those little magnets that real estate agents give out in the building. But that business tanked with the real estate market.

He decided to look into opening a medical marijuana dispensary. "What I discovered they all ran good businesses but they were about getting the patients in, selling the medicine, and getting them out."

With live music, couches, and the bud bar, Horowitz hopes Ganja Gourmet fills a niche. "There were very few places that had a place to chill and meet people and none of them had an emphasis on food."

Medical marijuana patient Don Armstrong thinks the business is a good idea. "I only get out to go to the grocery store or the VA (veterans administration hospital) and this is an opportunity for me to get out and socialize more."

Registered
    Jan 2010

Compassion center zoning

How do you determine whether or not your area can be used as a cultivation site for medicinal cannabis?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 13 Nov 2012, 2:23 PM
  2. Medical marijuana
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 07 Nov 2012, 6:20 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 07 Apr 2008, 10:32 AM
  4. Medical zoning