Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ethics question

Registered
    Feb 2006

Ethics question

Under the AICP Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct, section B, "Our Rules of conduct," number 5 states: "We shall not, as public officials or employees; accept from anyone other than our public employer any compensation, commission, rebate, or other advantage that may be perceived as related to our public office or employment."

Here's my question: A not-for-profit organization that advocates progressive ideas has arranged to fund a group of public planners from our municipality to attend a conference (paying for airfare, hotel & workshop registration expenses). Would accepting this offer constitute a breach of the AICP ethics code? The conference is being held primarily during a weekend and participants could conceivably use a vacation day on the one workday that is included in the conference schedule.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Moderator note:
    Moved from FI&GH forum

To attempt to answer your question, as long as the funding for the conference does not require advocacy on a specific issue or require you to make decisions that favor the group, you are probably safe, though I personally would not be comfortable doing it. It may be worth an e-mail to AICP to get their take on it though.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 16 Feb 2006 at 3:40 PM.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    I say it is not proper.
    Besides, even if it's technically OK, you should avoid the apprearance of improperity as well. Imagaine defending yourself once it's reported in the paper.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Yes, I would think that violates that tenet.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Do you have any sort of other business dealings with them in your jurisdiction? IF not, then I think it becomes a little more in favor of not being a violation. Of course, if the ywant to try to convince your organization to start implementing their beliefs, then it probably does violatate the code. The general rule that if there is any chance of it appearing as any sort of influence on you, then you shouldn't do it. Error on the side of caution.

I would ask AICP as others have mentioned.

Registered
    Feb 2006

Ethics Question

I've sent this question to AICP. We do not have any direct dealings with the sponsoring organization, but they occaisionally express opinions on proposed development here.

Quote Originally posted by cololi
    Do you have any sort of other business dealings with them in your jurisdiction? IF not, then I think it becomes a little more in favor of not being a violation. Of course, if the ywant to try to convince your organization to start implementing their beliefs, then it probably does violatate the code. The general rule that if there is any chance of it appearing as any sort of influence on you, then you shouldn't do it. Error on the side of caution.

I would ask AICP as others have mentioned.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by CosmicMojo
    I say it is not proper.
    Besides, even if it's technically OK, you should avoid the apprearance of improperity as well. Imagaine defending yourself once it's reported in the paper.
    This sums it up. Even if it is technically OK, I believe the Code also states something to the effect that you should avoid the appearance of impropriety. I'm pretty sure ICMA has something like that in theirs. I'm just too lazy to go look it up.

Quote Originally posted by AICP Code
    3) A planner shall not perform work if there is an actual, apparent, or reasonably foreseeable conflict of interest, direct or indirect, or an appearance of impropriety, without full written disclosure concerning work for current or past clients and subsequent written consent by the current client or employer. A planner shall remove himself or herself from a project if there is any direct personal or financial gain including gains to family members. A planner shall not disclose information gained in the course of public activity for a private benefit unless the information would be offered impartially to any person.
    Though taking it slightly out of context, I would interpret the highlighted phrase to say that what you describe creates an appearance of impropriety. If you aren't comfortable reading "Special Interest Group Pays City Staff to Attend Conference", then I'd say stay away from it.

If it were me, I'd politely decline.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by CosmicMojo
    I say it is not proper.
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    This sums it up. Even if it is technically OK, I believe the Code also states something to the effect that you should avoid the appearance of impropriety. I'm pretty sure ICMA has something like that in theirs. I'm just too lazy to go look it up.
    Quote Originally posted by AICP Code
    3) A planner shall not perform work if there is an actual, apparent, or reasonably foreseeable conflict of interest, direct or indirect, or an appearance of impropriety, without full written disclosure concerning work for current or past clients and subsequent written consent by the current client or employer. A planner shall remove himself or herself from a project if there is any direct personal or financial gain including gains to family members. A planner shall not disclose information gained in the course of public activity for a private benefit unless the information would be offered impartially to any person.
    Though taking it slightly out of context, I would interpret the highlighted phrase to say that what you describe creates an appearance of impropriety. If you aren't comfortable reading "Special Interest Group Pays City Staff to Attend Conference", then I'd say stay away from it.

I agree.
    Even a not for profit will have an agenda, and they spend money to achieve their goals.
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    I think the fact that it is a not-for-profit makes little difference.

They are not just paying your expenses because of your good looks.

You would not let the development community pay your way so, this one is easy, I think.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    If you aren't comfortable reading "Special Interest Group Pays City Staff to Attend Conference", then I'd say stay away from it.

I Agree, the good old smell test.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 15 Mar 2013, 10:15 AM
  2. Ethics question: CRAs
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 Jun 2008, 12:14 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 Sep 2006, 12:20 PM
  4. Need AICP ethics help (not a test question)
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Jan 2006, 5:54 PM
  5. Ethics question
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 20 May 2005, 8:50 AM