Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Street furniture programs in small cities

Registered
    Mar 2005

Street furniture programs in small cities

I am well aware of the private street furniture contracts in San Francisco, New York, Boston and Vancouver. I am looking for examples of smaller cities (<100,000 people) issuing RFPs for street furniture contractors. Has it been done? Can it be done?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    There are numerous small towns to medium sized cities in Michigan with beautiful streetscapes. It is done. There are mechanisms in the US it help fund these programs through the Department of Transportation's Enhancement Program. (Improves the view from the road, provides improved pedestrian access, more welcoming to transit).

National Transportation Enhancement Clearinghouse
    http://www.enhancements.org/index.asp
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I am interested in private street FURNITURE contracts/programs, not publically funded streetscape projects/programs.

Similar to this, but for small cities:

http://www.cityofboston.gov/basiccit..._furniture.asp

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    I am interested in private street FURNITURE contracts/programs, not publically funded streetscape projects/programs.

Similar to this, but for small cities:

http://www.cityofboston.gov/basiccit..._furniture.asp

You can use enhancement funds for public private partnerships. Are you interested in something to sell adspace on?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    You can use enhancement funds for public private partnerships. Are you interested in something to sell adspace on?
    I am interested in privately funded and operated street furniture programs in small cities, not involving public funds or grants. Take a look at the Boston link above and you will see what I am talking about.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I am interested in privately funded and operated street furniture programs in small cities, not involving public funds or grants. Take a look at the Boston link above and you will see what I am talking about.

Sorry, I think we may have a communication problem! I don't understand how that is not able to help fund these items, and don't understand why you would need a specific example of a program to buy street furniture that does not use public funds or grants.

Are you looking for an ordinance or something that outlines what is acceptable street furniture in terms of style?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    I am well aware of the private street furniture contracts in San Francisco, New York, Boston and Vancouver. I am looking for examples of smaller cities (<100,000 people) issuing RFPs for street furniture contractors. Has it been done? Can it be done?
    jmello, the City of Canton (Ohio) used to contract with an advertiser to provide benches for people to sit on. I believe the benches are now supplied either by the county transit agency, except in the areas "revitalised" by government grants which include funds for furniture.

I don't think the city issued an RFP. Instead the advertiser maintained the furniture and paid for it and in turn got to leave it sitting on city property.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    Sorry, I think we may have a communication problem! I don't understand how that is not able to help fund these items, and don't understand why you would need a specific example of a program to buy street furniture that does not use public funds or grants. Are you looking for an ordinance or something that outlines what is acceptable street furniture in terms of style?
    We do indeed have a communication problem.

I asked for something very specific: examples of small cities implementing private street furniture programs similar to ones in New York City, Boston, San Fransisco, and Vancouver.

You keep suggesting/pushing something completely different: publicly-funded streetscape projects. I am well aware of enhancement funding through SAFETEA-LU. However, that is not what I am looking for in this thread. Thank you for looking to help though.

Quote Originally posted by MennoJoshua
    jmello, the City of Canton (Ohio) used to contract with an advertiser to provide benches for people to sit on. I believe the benches are now supplied either by the county transit agency, except in the areas "revitalized" by government grants which include funds for furniture.
    That is more along the lines of what I am looking for. However, I would like to see something a more recent and comprehensive program (if it exists).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Dec 2012, 2:13 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 Nov 2012, 1:51 PM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last post: 10 Mar 2006, 7:28 AM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last post: 21 Mar 2005, 2:12 PM
  5. Historic street furniture
    Design, Space, and Place