Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Grass GIS for OS X

  1. #1
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    80

    Grass GIS for OS X

    Has anyone used OpenOSX's Grass GIS for OS X? I'm looking for something to use for class and obviously need something that is compatible with ArcGIS.
    Last edited by jdstl1977; 26 Jan 2006 at 12:22 AM.

  2. #2
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally posted by jdstl1977
    Has anyone used OpenOSX's Grass GIS for OS X? I'm looking for something to use for class and obviously need something that is compatibility with ArcGIS.
    You can always go with either a trial version of ArcGIS, which is good for a few months, or order a student version which is the same as the full software but costs tons less. You have to prove you are a student who needs it for class.

  3. #3
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    You can always go with either a trial version of ArcGIS, which is good for a few months, or order a student version which is the same as the full software but costs tons less. You have to prove you are a student who needs it for class.
    Does ArcGIS, even the trial version run on OS X Tiger?

  4. #4
          jhboyle's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Irwin, Pa
    Posts
    168
    No, ArcGIS does not run on a mac, but GRASS does. The main issue for you lies in the fact that you will have to learn 2 different GIS systems, which can be both a good and a bad thing. My understanding and experience with GRASS is that it is mostly command line, where as, ArcGIS is is GUI. You will also find a significant lack of tools you will need for your studies. also, its worth to note, that while the Data is the same, your final products, your maps, will not be compatible.

  5. #5
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally posted by jhboyle
    No, ArcGIS does not run on a mac, but GRASS does. The main issue for you lies in the fact that you will have to learn 2 different GIS systems, which can be both a good and a bad thing. My understanding and experience with GRASS is that it is mostly command line, where as, ArcGIS is is GUI. You will also find a significant lack of tools you will need for your studies. also, its worth to note, that while the Data is the same, your final products, your maps, will not be compatible.
    That last part is the deal-breaker. OpenOSX made it very easy to install. Just drag and drop and it now has a GUI. Thanks for the heads up. I'll delete it from my computer immediately. From what I understand, esri started out heavily unix-based and has grown to be more and more MS-dependent. I guess I could look into Virtual PC, although that thing is SLOWWWW.

    Oh well, it was worth a try.

  6. #6
          jhboyle's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Irwin, Pa
    Posts
    168
    your right in that ESRI started out UNIX, but it has fallen into partnership with Microsoft over the past few years

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Is the grass greener somewhere else?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 31 Dec 2007, 12:08 PM
  2. Grass is always greener????
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 50
    Last post: 26 Jul 2006, 11:02 PM
  3. Replies: 42
    Last post: 26 May 2005, 5:28 AM
  4. GRASS and TIGER 2000?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Jan 2005, 11:09 AM
  5. Grass Driveway Strips
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 11 May 2004, 10:15 AM