Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Mapguide or Arcview?

Mapguide or Arcview?

Arcview is the planning industry standard, however Autodesk (makers of Autocad) has put out an impressive software called MapGuide. Mapguide to me looks more user-friendly for the end-user (the public in our case). Also, since Mapguide is easily compatible with Autocad it makes editing easy for Engineers (who maintain our maps). How do I convince our Planning Dept. that this is the way to go? Maybe I just don't know enough about Arcview. If you haven't seen MapGuide's end-user capabilities, check out the City of Dublin, Ohio's site http://www.dublin.oh.us/gis/index.php They have gotten national recognition for thier mapping.
    What do you use, Arcview or Mapguide or another, and why?
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ssnyderjr
    Arcview is the planning industry standard, however Autodesk (makers of Autocad) has put out an impressive software called MapGuide. Mapguide to me looks more user-friendly for the end-user (the public in our case). Also, since Mapguide is easily compatible with Autocad it makes editing easy for Engineers (who maintain our maps). How do I convince our Planning Dept. that this is the way to go? Maybe I just don't know enough about Arcview. If you haven't seen MapGuide's end-user capabilities, check out the City of Dublin, Ohio's site http://www.dublin.oh.us/gis/index.php They have gotten national recognition for thier mapping.
    What do you use, Arcview or Mapguide or another, and why?
    I wouldn't use either. I'd go with ArcMap. Arcview is a dinosaur by today's standards.
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Registered
    Feb 2005
    For starters, ArcMap is the industry standard for all mapping, while auto desk does in fact, have the same functions for data creation, the needs of a planner, or a geographer are not the same as an engineer. You should be looking more for data interoperabilty between ArcMap and AutoCAD

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    You can always open dwg or dxf files in ArcMap - as long as they are projected.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've heard some really good things about MapGuide, but have yet to use it or see it in action. I'd really like to have a sample version to see how it works. I do not know how it compares to ArcMap or ArcView, but I can see how MapGuide could significantly imrpove on the database editing options from any of the ESRI products. Their Databases are not the best IMO.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. GIS ArcView GIS 10?
    Information Technology
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Apr 2012, 6:17 PM
  2. Importing UK map into Arcview
    Information Technology
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 Jul 2009, 2:42 PM
  3. Arcview 8.1 problem
    Information Technology